Aging Parents

Discussion in Misc & Others started by H.C. Heartland • Mar 14, 2015.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I'm caring and live with an aging parent and she has no one else for I'm the only child and my dad died in 2008. I do my best and do what I can. I talk to her and she likes that. I reassure her that I will care for her forever. It's a good idea I believe that you speak to your parents about it, for it's their life that will be affected. Luckily she is mobile, but has a pace maker and has had already one mild heart attack. Everyone has told her to exercise including myself-she says she doesn't want to die, so its a good sign. She is doing mild exercise after we went to the pace maker dept. and I asked if she can do exercises and the pace maker dept. said she should exercise. I'm not married so when I become too aged I'll probably go to a retirement home with mobile help. If I die before my Mom, this we discussed too. It's good to discuss with your parents what to do and what they want done with their futures I think.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a sad thread because all of us will go to that stage. My mother is 82 and was hit by a stroke 5 years ago, leaving her paralyzed with half her body. We hired 2 caregivers to attend to her needs since she cannot take care of herself anymore. And counting the cost of her medication, it's a big expense considering that she has no insurance of any kind.

3. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I could ever put my parents in a home, especially my mom. My mom is super paranoid about every single little thing. She's always been like that, even when I was little. It's always been hard to deal with but in the end she's still my mom and I know she did the best she could. My dad's always worked very hard and been a good provider. I would want to repay him the same way and see him enjoy his golden years close to family.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know what will happen with my parents when they get too old to care for themselves. Right now my college age nephew is living with them so I am sure he looks out for them...but they are good to go for at least the next 10 years I hope. Course when people get old there are no guarantees. My mom has some physical problems, and my dad is showing some memory issues..so it is concerning.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Some nursing homes are better than others. In fact, the bad ones are a nightmare and I wouldn't dream of sending a grandparent to one. However, for people who have no retirement, a cheap nursing home is often the only option and possibly there are worse options than that.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My parents were on their own until they passed away at age 82 for my mother and 87 for my father. But my wife's mother who is now 83 is living with my wife's sister for 6 years now due to a stroke. She is bedridden and has 2 caregivers. This is not to complain but the expenses are on us. Whew, it's no joke to pay 2 caregivers with free food. Our expenses includes all that pertains to my mother-in-law such as food and medicines.