Seafood Promotion

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • Mar 30, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In one big supermarket here, the seafood promo is noticeable because of a large poster. Customers are buying at 50% discount, not really minding that the fish and shellfish are a day old. The fresh ones are quite expensive so they turn to the promo to save. But do they really save money on that? From what I know, seafood should always be fresh otherwise you are risking your health with potential diseases because bacteria may already have developed in the fish. But one buyer said that she broils the fish so no bacteria can survive. But how about the shellfish?

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Some supermarkets actually sell seafood that are more than a day old and they're even more expensive than 'fresh' seafood sold at the wet market. Deep sea fishes are usually more than a day old when they reach the supermarket and they are delivered using refrigerated vans to keep them from deteriorating. The salmon heads and sliced octopus meat I usually buy from a big supermarket here are frozen which is just fine for me because it's the only way to keep them 'fresh'.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I love shrimp, but I confess that whenever I go to buy them in some promotion I get a little suspicious because I have a great fear of buying something spoiled. And this kind of food, when spoiled, seems to be more harmful than other foods.

But, dude... I really love shrimps. :p

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Seafoods can be frozen and sold weeks later. That is how most big marts do anyways.

It is of course for the customers to realise and buy wisely. The time frame matters as you can fall sick eating such kind of decayed meats.

Fresh seafood of course is costly but buying in bulk helps as long as you have adequate facility to store it.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I've had only one bad experience buying bad meat. Note, at a US supermarket they will usually have the same chicken for different prices with the price determination normally based on age. However, usually, it's not a problem. Nonetheless, this one time the chicken was indeed bad. Therefore, I'm wondering how cheap can you get without getting terrible meat?