Saving By Buying Quality

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by to7update • Nov 22, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I play tennis quite often and I have found out that the best way to save money when buying my equipment is to buy quality equipment because it will last longer. Let's take tennis shoes for example, if I buy a good pair of Nike ones they will last me close to 6 months, if I buy cheaper ones they can last just a few weeks.

Do you see this the same way or do you go for the cheapest?

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know tennis is an expensive games especially the frequent change of tennis balls makes it even costlier. I play badminton regularly ( I have played it at national level) and the shuttlecock we use is also too costly but during practice time we sometimes use hen-feather shuttlecocks in place of duck to save money. However any game that needs additional equipment costs us a lot.

3. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you that quality or durability of an equipment saves cost in a long run.

I have personally purchased several.badminton racket of bith durable and cheap qualities and found the cheaper ones bending, or having their meshwork gone or even the frames breaking all giving me additional.costs within no time.

I finally choose to invest in a quality one.

4. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely agree with you. One way to save it's buying the real quality product even though it may appear more expensive at the moment, but on the long run it's going to save you money. When I got my current pressing iron, which is lasting me more than five five years now, it was too pricey, a friend convinced me to buy it that it was a strong genuine product. Before this time I have had the experience of using pressing iron for just a year or two and after then it's bad completely.

5. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I believe in the adage that cheap is expensive in the long run if you are not diligent. Games shoes in general wear out quite fast. There was a brand called NorthStar which has a high performance in terms of durability. Anyone who knows whether the company still exists? Secondhand shoes and tennis equipment is also quite good since view are tried and tested.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, that's true, balls are expensive too. It's insane to think that some of the guys I play with open a can of balls and after a match throw them away when they are perfectly good. I always use my balls for at least 5 or 6 matches, I am not rich to be buying new ones all the time.

7. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    This is true for everything you buy. If you go for branded items it may seem costly but they give true value for money. Sometime products with almost same features may be available at a cheaper price but you would only come to know of its true potential after some time.

Quite recently I purchased a Toshiba Satellite laptop which costed me around $315 and it was a good deal considering the features it got. But I noticed that there are other brands with same features that cost pricier than this one. In fact Toshiba laptop is really good and perform well, but the machine is too fragile to use. Its hinges are too weak to hold the monitor in the right position and I had to take it to their service center a number of times to rectify it.

My earlier laptop (Thinkpad) was a strong one which could withstand many shocks and it even fell off too many times. But I just can't imagine how this new one would go through such an accident.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am using a laptop I bought in 2014 which is working perfectly for almost two years ( I bought it for AUD 460) with 1 years extended warranty. It is working fine but I had to replace its hard disc on my arrival to India (free of cost at company's service center). Laptops were available for AU$400 but with limited warranty. I paid extra $40 at that time but saved almost $100 + which I would have paid if my HD was not under extended warranty.

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Price and brand don't always mean quality. I worked as a landscaper and I bought work boots for 22 dollars at the K-Mart. They lasted me for 8 months and they were very comfortable. I then decided to purchase 80 dollar brand work boots and they only lasted me 5 months and the soles began to peel right off and without the cushion, I was in major pain for most of the day. I say it's better if you try out different brands and stores no matter what the price.

10. Lazar

LazarMember

Threads:
    Of course. It's the same with the soccer balls too. If you bought a cheaper one it will last for about a month. But, if you pay 200-300e on a long run, you saved a lot of money.

11. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I also believe that buying quality items and products saves money. Quality products last long. If a products last longer, you will not have the necessity of buying the same thing in short time. Buying quality products is also an investment. The rate of return on your quality product purchases is higher.

12. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    There is an old saying that goes 'cheap is expensive'. This saying is very true. A good financial manager makes sure he or she gets the full value of his money. He prefers to buy an expensive high quality item rather a cheap item to save money. There are times when quality doesn't matter but when it does, always go for the best.

13. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    It is always good to go for good quality equipment in sports even if it is costlier as it will last longer. That one-time investment will help you save lots of money replacing the cheaper goods.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @harijobs@harijobs I agree with you so I always go for top brands even if I have to pay a little extra for that. I can well remember that when I bought my last refrigerator that cost me almost $1000 a Samsung 637 lit from an Indian online store that included installation besides they gave me a discount of $120 for my old fridge. I am confident that this fridge is good enough for next 10 years without any trouble.

#14Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
  15. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I recall just recently buying a pair of tennis shoes from a less know brand, they looked top quality, but they opened up in under one month, so never again! I prefer to invest in brands I do know, pay a little more, but at least I know I am buying quality.

16. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree with you. Quality does matter, and that helps us to save in long run too. Though we are living frugally, there are still something I would go for higher quality products. It's not only in saving money, but might also be better for health, for example some food or home care products, it will still be saving more in long run.

Except for sport equipment, electronic devices are something I would always go for better known and higher quality brands. Not only it may save more in long run, but it can be less risky to our life too. :)

17. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, electronics are definitely another category where is worth paying more. Anyone heard of a mobile phone named Wiko? So forget it because it sucks! How I miss my old Samsung when I have it in my hand... Same thing with TVs, nothing like buying a good, reliable brand.

18. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    That's true. And not only with sports equipment but with other things as well. Like when we bought this frying pan last week which is totally cute yet so cheap but when we used it, I was really disappointed because the paint at the bottom of the pan got scratched easily :( Well what can I expect with a $5 frying pan? :( Now I'm oblige to get a new one, and this time I'll surely choose quality.

19. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    lol, sorry for laughing at your pain, but that really made me laugh @Jasmin Cottontail@Jasmin Cottontail, but you are right, what do you expect with that price? :D I do recall those fancy dresses that come from China that look great on the models, but when arrive are something entirely different. I think we have all seen one of those. :)

20. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update Hahaha :D It's fine. I find it funny and annoying at once. I just laughed it off instead of being continually annoyed as I can't do nothing about it. At least I learned my lesson not to indulge with cheaper things as they might not be as good as what they seem.

Anyway, yes I've seen those dresses. As I can remember, I saw it on Facebook wherein a lady purchased this dress in an online store from China as she was mesmerized by the beauty of it, and it was a sexy lingerie. But then when she received it, she was totally disappointed as it was far too different from what she was expecting LOL :D

#20Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017