Do You Avoid Convenience Stores?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Zyni • Feb 18, 2016.

1. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid convenience stores once in a while but not all the time. In a week, I visit convenience stores between two to three times. There's also a pharmacy near our office with a built-in convenience store and I usually purchase stuff from there. Their prices are way cheaper because they get their supplies directly from the manufacturers unlike other convenience stores that go through middlemen to get their supplies, which explains the hefty marked up prices.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely avoid convenience stores. I absolutely can't justify paying $6 for cereal or $8 for coffee.
    The only exception is when 7-11 has those funny events where you can bring your own Slurpee container and fill it up with as much Slurpee as you can carry for a set price. Those are funny and some people bring gallon pitchers and buckets.

3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid them as much as posible, but let's be honest it's pretty hard to do so. I try to avoid going to Wal-Mart as much as possible, and Target is on the other side of town, so I have to go pretty often. There's a Dunkin Donuts in the one close by my house so that's a positive. Also, everyone gets gas so it's pretty tempting to venture in and get more stuff.

4. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    The nearest convenience store here is only a few steps away that's why it's always so tempting to just go there straight. Sometimes we're buying something not available in a regular store and the convenience store would have it with a slightly higher price. For me, it saves me time and transportation getting to a bigger store if they have the product I'm looking for.

5. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid them as much as possible but of course there are instances when you just need a single item or two and it would make more sense if you just make a quick stop at some convenience store. It can't be help. Convenience store items are overpriced indeed but the convenience they provide is a big draw and big help. They do come in handy. :p

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Actually, not all convenience stores, and major drugstores for that matter, have high prices on everything. Note, in order to be competitive, they sometimes have great deals on stuff like milk and eggs. However, though, you need to be aware of the specials because you might mistakenly buy something thinking it's a good deal when, in reality, the grocery store price is way cheaper.

7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    In our small city, convenience store is sprouting. You can see it anywhere. And it is selling items, products or anything with a reasonable markup price as compared with that from the mall or supermarket. Since we are in a hurry or transportation is scare, we have no choice but to buy from them.

In going to the capital city, though prices of items from household needs to grocery, from appliances to agricultural items are affordable, we have to spend more for our transportation and also for our meals if it takes us more time to shop.

What we're actually avoiding is the sari-sari store. It is a small store run by an individual and it is usually located along the street in a certain area or subdivision. It is selling items which cost more their regular retail price.

8. melissa1024

melissa1024New Member

Threads:
    I tend to try to avoid them if at all possible, unless they have milk or soda on sale. Most other things are just way over priced and I would rather just go ahead and drive another mile or so up the road to Foodlion or Walmart and get it cheaper.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I have no reason to avoid them. I think they are very convenient types of stores and usually save me on several occasions where I needed to buy something at the last minute (and this happens to me very often).

My only problem with them are the prices of some items, which are usually much more expensive than in normal supermarkets.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid convenience stores at all costs because you do pay a lot of money when buying snacks from them. I have to be super hungry or really thirsty to go in and buy stuff from them. You are much better off stocking up on things from a grocery store or Costco and keeping an emergency snack and drink stash in your vehicle.

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is not to malign convenience stores but I find their prices more expensive by at least 10% compared to prices of the same items in the supermarket. Even the loaf of bread which has a standard price almost anywhere costs more in convenience stores. When the first 7-11 opened in the country, there were questions on the prices that were 30% higher. But the government did not lift a finger so the standard of pricing by convenience stores persists until today. As much as possible, I buy what I need from the supermarket of grocery stores.

12. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Nah I avoid those unless I am in dire need. In my previous location, Sundays were the days when I would visit such stores as I would be in a rush to grab my needs before hitting the road and not getting a chance during the busy week.

They were just too costly in my opinion. I rather go to local stores or a larger mart where the prices are cheaper.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I do shop at convenience stores when I need to. They have bus passes and my favorite taquitos. I know I know, it's not all that healthy, but I like to spoil myself once in a while. It's so conveniently around, they got a few things I need and will stop by for them. They've had a xerox copy machine that was a dime to use-that was great! It went up this year though so now it's .15 for for xeroxing. The convenience stores has sales locally too so for somethings it's really good prices. I look around and find some gems, like my taquitos for just 1.29 I get a meal. Convenience stores has healthy foods too like sunflower seeds & pumpkin seeds, salads and sales, so it's no bad. I love their taquitos anyway.

14. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I guess that I do, but I never really thought about it much so it might just be something I have learned to do. The prices are higher and a lot of the times it is the things you do not need.

15. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The convenience store that is the closest to me is not bad for buying soda or beer at all. They have a hot food division that is pretty inexpensive for the money, and their gas is reasonably priced. There are a few things they price gouge on though I guess to make up for better prices on other items. Their milk prices are absurd! There is another store a couple of miles in the other direction..that is not the place to buy most things. Just about everything is over priced, with the exception of some of their hot foods.

16. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Well the lines at the supermarket are usually long, so you will just be wasting your effort there all the more so if you will only buy a few or even just one item. I live near a lot of convenience stores, and the prices are just around 10 to 50 cents expensive compared to the supermarket price, so it's acceptable to go there instead in my opinion.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid them(convenience stores) like the plaque but sometimes I do shop in these places(like when its the only choice)-and when I was younger I had a uncle that called them the Jip-Joint. I think though they are great for some of the beer deals that they have-like the choice of malt liquor and some cheap snacks as well. These places have some very motley characters hanging out in them most of the time as well-which is quite interesting.

#37Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017