The Most Fun Thing Without Spending Money

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Ray1 • Feb 28, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I traveled on last weekend to a fun spot using my travel pass which works on ferry, train and bus. My wife and I took lunch and fruits from home and spent almost all day going from places to places. We did not spend a single penny during the entire day. Do you have similar experience or the most fun thing you have ever done without spending much?

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have recently started to go treasure hunting when the weather is nice and this does not cost me a thing. I wander around beaches, trails, and parking lots and find screws, change, and other random things as I go. It gives me some exercise and I find things that I will eventually use for crafts and other projects. My kids like to go too. The only negative things is some parks around here cost admission or parking.

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I like going to the park and ride my tricycle. There are many hills to go down with your bike and it's pretty fun. You can also walk around the park and chase rabbits or look at the ducks swimming around. If you're lucky, you might even see some rare wild animal too. To eat, I just make ham sandwiches with chips. Sandwiches taste better at parks for some reason.

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    For me, one of the best things to do without having any money is to go to the beach.

I love going to the beach and it's always something I can do having a lot of fun without spending a single dime (and when I go with my friends, it's even better).

Beach is one of my favorite hobbies. ;)

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Well anything under the sun needs to be worked on. Spending a time for fun without wasting a penny is possible. In our place, especially in the public plaza, there is a gigantic TV screen which operates every night. My wife and I use to spend our time there from time to time watching a well recommended of general patronage movies.

Sometime I even bring my grandchildren there. We do appreciate our generous government for providing that kind of public entertainment. If we want to spend just in case, it is to minimal to having a snack and a juice to drink.

6. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I and my friend have traveled using a travel pass which is a lot of fun as with that one pass alone you can travel to various places but that is valid for that one day only. We take that usually while going for long trips and have to travel to a lot of places. It saves money and very convenient too.

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    The most fun thing I've done at no/little cost is a visit to a famous theme park in my province courtesy of a very charismatic lady politician. She gave us 30 ride-all-you can one-day pass at the park which was worth $10 each. It was another occasion for the family to bond along with close friends and relatives. The park doesn't allow patrons to bring food/drink inside. To save on food and drinks, we brought some packed meals and drinks in the van and we took the trouble to leave the park for a while to eat and drink outside. It was a fun and memorable day for all.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When back in my own country the best pastime is sitting on the Ganges River bank for hours and watch devotees perform various activities including religious. The activities here seem to go on for ever even during cold weather as Ganges is considered a holy river and worshiped by a particular section of our society.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We made decision to sell our old things we have. If you've seen American Pickers on History Channel, the picker comes to your home and buys what they want. Well I called a picker on the island of Oahu who advertised in the Sunday newspaper. He came bought some of our things and we were so very happy. We made money and didn't have to spend anything at all, this was so much fun. We had a family run grocery store and invested in Beam Bottles, hopefully we can sell it all to this picker who is interested in Beam bottles too...here's hoping. Now selling our Beam bottles will definitely be fun, profitable and give us back much space in our tiny apt. home. Here's hoping we can sell our Beam bottles! :) This is fun. Guess once a merchant always a merchant.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe I am assuming that these pickers are the same like we have waste item buyers in our country. They buy everything right from the old newspapers to anything that contains iron, plastic, glass or old gadgets. They have a fixed rates for everything either on weight basis or quantity. We sell all our waste items unlike here in Australia where even disposal of waste items is a problem. You either dispose them on fixed dates or pay disposal charges.

#10May 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 :oops:No, pickers buy for resale. They like antiques or vintage items that you have for resale. They buy wholesale prices and sell them at retail value. We have some Beam bottles, whisky bottles all collectibles that our picker has buyers for. He loved the model t ceramic bottle we had and bought it. We do have scrapers, where you can sell things too, which sounds like who you're speaking about. Pickers come to your home or you go to their shop. We had a little family grocery store from the 40's so we had some very old coke bottles, that a buyer is interested in buying-bought ours for $7 a bottle, not bad for a nickle return bottle back in the day. We are hoping for selling all our our about 35-40 collectibles we still have, so we can have the space and money.:p We don't have a car so hard to cart it around to ask shops who may be interested in our collectibles for sale if they are interested in buying our Beam bottles. When we had a car I found a shop that was interested in buying a whisky chess set with a furry chess board too, But now without a car we depend on pickers like the American Pickers to come to our home to buy our vintage - antiques.
    [​IMG]
    American Pickers is on History Channel.

#11May 1, 2017
  12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe Sorry for having misunderstanding the term :) actually we have such services in our country too but we have to contact them and convince them real hard. I know that some people in certain countries are crazy about vintage or old items like stamps, coins and even cars, bikes etc for the sake of hobby. I have seen certain people collecting old stamps and even old liquor bottles. I think they love to show their TREASURE to others that visit them.

#12May 2, 2017
  13. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    We have a famous botanical garden very near to our home. Our favorite pastime is to roam around and sometimes just to spend time sitting on the lawns. It doesn't take any money rather fills us with pure oxygen. People from many parts of the country come to visit this place. Seeing the people of different caste and creed is also a nice time pass, at times.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 :)No problem. American Pickers went abroad for a special car buy but seller didn't want to sell, so they decided to pick in the country. Turns out they have lots of antiques for sale in Italy! Here is an article about it.

. Selling your old stuff for money is great fun! You get money and free up space too. When you don't have to cart it around to sell is even better. In Hawaii the pickers do come to your home to buy your things they are interested in purchasing and cart it away with them after buying. We don't have a car so we need this kind of service. Glad they got pickers in Hawaii! :)

#14May 3, 2017
  15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe I really want to laugh aloud because we also have them in good numbers that come and buy old items which we really do not need anymore. They pay us for everything according to their market value and either resell them or recycle them. We both take full advantage anyways. :)

#15May 3, 2017
  16. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 :)Isn't it great you can get money for something you don't want any longer. Then you can get even more things you need now or get a more modern version of things you need. I feel this is just a superb way to make money with things you just don't want any longer. There is also donation places for thrift shops to donate locally too. People like Kidney Foundation, Big Brothers and Big Sisters and Cerebral Palsy foundation takes donations even picks them up to sell to thrift shops. These community foundations make money and we get thrift shops filled with things to buy for bargain prices.

#16May 3, 2017
  17. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I like taking my granddaughter to the local park on a sunny day. It has a play area and a splash pad for kids. I usually take a picnic with us and then relax while she plays with other children. It's within walking distance from us too so makes a nice day out.

18. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    My home area is loaded with mountainous parks and it's very easy to bring a tent and some food from home and do as the OP was doing. Also, when I mention food from home, I don't necessarily mean junk food. Instead, one can possibly bring some meat, potatoes, and veggies, for a BBQ.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 the 'sunny' is the only difference in between your and my park visits because we avoid too much sun even during peak winter time. Incidentally June is the peak winter here in Australia but staying under direct sun is harmful due to UV level. So either you apply a lot of sunscreen cream or stay away from it. Back in India where UV is not a great problem we enjoy sun and parks to the maximum, after all what is better than a walk in the lap of Mother Nature.

20. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Going to the beautiful beaches here is one of the cheapest things I have done. I like to take my own food and snacks from home so I won't have to buy anything too expensive there. I love walking near the water and if it's a hot day I like to go swimming for a bit. The beach I go to is near a mall so it's also fun to walk in there.