Have you ever found anything such as money inside a used book?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by MrsR • May 6, 2013.

1. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy a ton of used books. I have never found any money, but I have found some interesting things like photographs, love letters, and inscriptions. I think some of them were quite old if I remember. I wasn't able to return them to their rightful owners because all the books were purchased at a book resale shop, so it would be virtually impossible to track them down. They were quite an entertaining surprise to me though.

2. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I have never found money in any used books. I have found receipts, post it notes, a few business cards and some bookmarks before.

3. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    I've never found a $20 bill in a book, but since I always buy used books in small stores I often find old stuff used as a bookmark. I found an old photo of a woman insede an used copy of "The Old Man and the Sea", and I'm still wondering who she was. To be honest I really love finding used objects or even old bookmarks, they remember me that those books had a story before ending up in my hands.

Bonus story, not sure if it counts: a friend of mine gave me his copy of "The Idiot", because he doesn't like reading at all and I mentioned that I love Dostoyevsky. When I came back home I found a sweet $10 bill inside... but I returned it to his owner, since he was a friend and he also gave me that beautiful book.

4. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I think the weirdest thing I have found in a book is a note to a lover. It was put inside a children's book and was clearly written by an adult.

The only type of money I found was a dollar which I guess was being used as a bookmark.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    No I've never found any money from old books or 2nd hand books but I used to put money on one of my books and I created a hidden stash to it :) I think it's a good idea if you want to hide your money or any important stuff and put it inside a book because I believe it's safer instead of piggy banks or wallets putting them in your wallet :)

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I am a lover of books. Every time I go to the capital city, I always go home with a book or two which I buy from a used bookstore. I do find some piece of paper inside the book, an old receipt, but never a cash or a check. I do appreciate those people who are honest and have returned right away the money or anything they find inserted in one of the pages of the book.

7. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I remember there was one time that I thought I found a phone number, and of course I imagined that it was a great looking young lady just waiting for me to call. I cannot remember exactly what the disappoint was, but it was something far from this.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I once found $20 inside a school text book the book had not been used for a while so there was no way to find out to who I belonged to so I kept it. I found it in the most appropriate time as I had lost my wallet that day. I still wonder who found my wallet, fortunately I only had $10 dollars and my important papers where in my bigger wallet.

9. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have never found cash in books but have found old receipts and written notes.

I like to read them and imagine what must be going on in their mind while writing them. I once found a love letter but I guess the guy never could find courage to express his feelings for that girl.

10. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    @MrsR@MrsR Wouldn't that be nice to find some money wedged betwixt pages! I have never found anything like that. There was an old 300 year old bible that I bought in a charity shop last year. I looked inside it and it had lots of markers. The markers were cuttings from the newspaper obituaries. By looking at them I could see it was a family bible that had obviously been p[assed down through generations. The obituaries made interesting reading.

#50Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  11. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @MrsR@MrsR It is so nice that your sister gave the book back to the woman. It's not only the money that matters, but I am sure the woman and her son would be so joyful to find something that has been lost for years.

I have not find any money inside a used book, but I am not sure if anyone has found it in my used books. I used to keep my money inside my books as well when I was in high school. I always found some money inside my own books where I totally forgot about them. So I guess it's really not a wise choice to put money in a book, or maybe it's good to give someone a surprise. :)

#51May 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    No I have never find money inside a used book. The seller in the process of sorting out the items might have seen that if actually there was money in any of the books. I have heard a few cases where people say they find money in fairly used clothes. I am not sure to have heard of a similar development with books.

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I consider myself a lucky person in many ways, but not in this situation (not at least until today). I've never been lucky enough to find money - or anything - inside a used book.

Maybe one day, after all... The hope is the last that dies, ins't it? ;)

14. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    I don't see myself as a lucky girl. I can't win on a game of luck. Someone who can find $20 in a book should try for the lottery.