Reusing Used Water

Discussion in Water started by Kaushik Angara • Dec 15, 2016.

1. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    Hey guys, just wanted to know how many of reuse used up water. By reusing water, I mean water used for washing clothes and cleaning vegetables and fruits. I reuse used up water for flushing the toilets and the ones used for vegetable cleaning, I use it for watering the trees.

Water is very scarce in some parts of the world and I feel everyone of us should consume water economically. It is believed that about 10-15 litres of water gets water for flushing the toilet once. Each of us can save thousands of litres of water by following simple water conservation techniques.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As I had posted in another thread, our laundrywoman regularly cleans our concrete front yard with the laundry water, i.e. soapy water and slightly soapy that was used for rinsing the clothes. Another used water that is very important to me is the water in the kitchen that was used to rinse the kitchen ingredients particularly the fish and meat. That water is very rich in minerals that is good for the plants. We have a big plastic basin used for that purpose so that water can later on be used to irrigate the plants.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Anything we teach to our elementary pupils if possible to recycle them. We have a separate room for the materials to be recycled or to be reused. This will develop the pupils' initiative to recycle bottles, cartons, papers, or anything for a possible use or utility to save money. Those pupils of ours found that recycling project useful and even profiteering.

4. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I always reuse water. I clean my portico and patio with laundry water. I water my garden with the kitchen water(water derived from washing utensils, vegetables, fruits etc.). I always make sure not to waste water. water is getting scarce every day, natural source of water is also drying, thus we should save water by reusing it.

5. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Here the apartments which have more than 20-30 flats, need to install sewage treatment plant for cleaning the used water which could be reused later. We have a major water scarcity. So, we never throw away some type of used water which could be reused for gardening, washing the car, cleaning the mop etc.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I only rarely use water from washed vegetables for watering the plants.

Since I have just one pot of a plant at the moment it doesn't consume much water anyways.

For the patio cleaming we use water from laundry. Although, we do not wash clothes on daily basis for conserving purpose either.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also reuse used water. I have a little garden of aloe, broad leaf plantain, a red ti leaf plant for protection (Hawaiian saying) to water so I reuse the water I wash my dishes with or wash veggies with and water my plants with it. We like to recycle water too for water is so precious for life. We get oxygen from plants that use recycled water.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    When I can I also reuse the water I wash clothing with to flush the toilet. I like yourself also reuse water to water some of the plans in the backyard which aren't that many. I don't really know of other ways to recycle water but we always try to keep our faucets and showers off as much as possible.

9. GrumbleBee

GrumbleBeeNew Member

Threads:
    If my dogs need a bath I wait until I'm having a bath and then they go in after I'm done. The tub is already full so it saves some water.

10. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    We usually fill a large container full of water for showering when the heater isn't working so at the end of the shower, we're left with a large amount of clean water since we just use a cup to scoop water out and pour it on ourselves. We usually use that to clean the floors or keep it for the next shower.

11. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I reuse water from washing clothes and dishes to clean my house. I don't know if this applies in reusing water but I also use the water to make fertilizers. This has saved me alot of money that could have been used to purchase chemical fertilizers.

12. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    This thread is really an eye opener for many. We never know how much water we waste every day while taking bath, washing clothes or even brushing our teeth. I have seen many people keeping the tap the open while brushing the teeth. It is better to take some water in a mug and clean your teeth. Also if we can wash our clothes manually we can store the used water in a container and use it for watering plants.

Every day I collect around one big bucket full of water used water which I use to water my kitchen garden. Soap water is also effective in clearing some pests too.

13. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    I have kept water from rain in little tanks to use this water when I wash the floor and when I use the toilet flush. I have decreased my water account with it.

14. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    Toilets here by law have a maximum flush of 6 litres, and most use less.
    We harvest rainwater from the downpipes and use it for all the garden work, cleaning patios, watering etc. It makes it much cheaper to manage a garden. Indoors, there isn't much although we used to have a system that routed water from the basin into the toilet cisterm for flushing.

15. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Laundry rinse water can be used as fertilizer for garden plants.If you use commercial brand of detergent, you can use it on ornamental plants since you are not going to eat them anyway. The only rinse water you can use for edible plants though are the organic detergent.

Rinse water of dishwasher also makes a good fertilizer for garden plants. The 3rd rinse is the ideal one to use for plants because it has lower ph that plants can handle.

16. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I work in a laundry and there is plenty of used water at the rinsing
    stage which is collected in a container. I usually pour the water back
    to the sinks in the washing stage. This water should not go to waste
    because it has been used to rinse clean clothes and go addition, it
    contains some soap which rates on costs.

17. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see any problem, unless the correct utility of this type of water is always observed (and sadly, this is something that many people often neglect :().

18. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I reuse water just like you, sometimes when I wash the fruits and vegetables I use that water to wet my plants in the yard. Evry time when is raining, I am storing water and I am using it for washing my hair, or for y plants, sometimes my wife use rain water to wash the sandstone and the parquet.

19. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    We have a nice system in our home. Right at the time when we were building our house we had connected pipes to our garden for used water that came from our bathrooms,washing machine washbasins and kitchen. The soapy water does work as killers of pests.
    If it is made a rule for builders to do this a lot of water can be saved.

20. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Water is not scarce where I live as we get a lot of rain and I guess I take that for granted and do not reuse it at all. However, on the rare occasions we have had long dry spells the authorities usually impose a hosepipe ban and I do take note of that.