Do You Donate To Victims Of Disaster?

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by tonyb • Oct 30, 2016.

1. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Part of the things I have spent my online earnings on is donating money to victims and survivors of earthquake. Whenever I remember this singular action of mine I always feel a sense of fulfilment in that regard. Knowing that my money was among the many others used in bringing some succor to those people.
    Just being curios have you ever made a donation to people who have suffered earthquake or other form of disaster that was beyond their control.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is not to brag but I am a generous person when it comes to calamities and disasters. However, I have witnessed an anomaly in the distribution of relief goods and aids to victims of disaster and calamity. When I want to help, I give directly to the victims.

3. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I donate on and off for different causes and don't keep a track of it. It gives a sense of satisfaction to know I could be of help to someone in whatever small way that I could.

4. will donati

will donatiNew Member

Threads:
    I regularly do it. I believe that every time I do it I am investing for myself when I will be rewarded some time later in life when I maybe in need. Another form of tithe

5. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly no because our government is doing that for us already. What I normally do is donate a portion of what I've earned to the less fortunate people of our community because I believe reaching the closest people to you is more fulfilling and rewarding.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Not online since I do need the money and help myself these days. When I can I give to children in need here where I live. I have seen so many kids whos parents make them go out to sell stuff I don't give them money but I do give them food for their lunch. I don't think it's fair parents are using their children this way when they should be playing.

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It's fine to reach the closest people for help. I think you can still do better than that, there are sites out there well known that will assist in sending your donations across to the far. At times social media sites do advertise for this kind of donations

8. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose I donate indirectly through the church. I usually tithe 10% of my salary or any other income I happen to earn. In my country, I have seen some piggy banks geared to assisting Aids victims. I always have reservations about the same since some of these donations end up in people's pockets missing the intended target.

9. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I always have a doubt on donation money being properly utilized, especially when there're many hands in between the donor and recipient. My donations thus go to the persons who're less fortunate in my viewpoint. However, if there's a disaster in the country then we contribute a day's salary to the national fund which is taken care of through the company we work for.

10. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    To the point above about how the charities are spending the money, I completely agree, and I remember hearing a pretty alarming statistic a while ago about the percentage that actually goes to the cause, and I cannot remember the exact number but it was not inspiring. I think it might be better now just with greater transparency in general, but I guess who knows at this point.

11. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    In this Church where I belong, we have a welfare program for those who are in dire needs because of poverty, victims of natural calamities, misplaced family, among others. The members including myself and my family have responded much to help them. We feel complete and happy if we could extend our generous help to them. We believe that it is more blessed to give than to receive.

12. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I donate to the victims of disasters. About two years ago when there was a series of earthquakes in our country, about 8 thousand people died and hundreds of thousands were injured. I also had damages to my property, however, my problem was lesser compared to the real victims. I donated the proceeds from my book sales to the earthquake relief fund.

13. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    Donating is always part of my budget especially to people affected by natural calamities. It's always good to remember that anyone could have been there. I always consider myself lucky and also make the victims feel they are not going through these problems alone.

14. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I don't donate regularly, however, when ever someone approaches me for donation I voluntarily donate money for the cause. I also buy charity show tickets and goodies when they are sold to collect money from natural disasters. I always sympathize with the victims and donate what ever I can.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do help where and when I can. Budget is very tight at my home. Locally, I leave items at the bus stop like food or things like a calculator and let whom ever wants it keep it. I found a box of unopened Kleenex once and thought how nice. I've clicked to hungersite.com and play freerice.com to give to those in need. Hungersite.com has different tabs to click to so you can help people all over the world. I will share about Red Cross on my twitter, facebook & google plus from time to time so people can know of help or donate if they'd like to help the world. Doing what we can when we can, will make the world a lot better place to live. I also share about benefits.gov so people can explore the site or share with others in need. I pray too for prayers brings miracles for all.

16. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Sorry to say this but I do not give to those who 'collect' for disasters. I have a Trust and I give directly to whoever needs it. I will certainly verify the need before doling out money asked for as many times it is misused. Even strangers come for help but they must give a reference before approaching me.

17. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    I donated a few times some stuff I had at home, old or something that is small. These were mostly the victims of the floods we had here few years back. I guess it helped them a bit, since they lost a lot in the floods. Their houses and stuff was completely ruined.

18. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I donate to a few organizations that i found worthy and actually make a change, and some of them do some work in the countries affected by disasters.

19. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    There's a small preschool run by nuns in our area which is quite close to my heart. They accept less privileged children and teach them for a very small fee of $5 per year. Every opening day of the school year, I would give paper, pencils, and crayons to about 60 kids. During Christmas parties, I'd give them small gifts. I'm not the only one, though. There are other people who appreciate what the nuns are doing and would donate stuff like electric fan, desk, and chairs.

In times of calamities, I prefer to give through our church which is quite active in reaching out to stricken communities. It can be in the form of money, clothes or both.