Microsoft Office

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by kingcool52 • Apr 19, 2017.

1. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    When you get a new laptop or computer, how do you manage to get Microsoft Office on it? Do you tend to only purchase laptops/computers that come with a Microsoft Office license or do you purchase them separately? My old computer came with a license which was amazing but my new laptop did not which meant that I had to purchase a separate license of Microsoft Office 2016. I decided to go for the one off purchase and not the 365 subscription as I felt it was just a bit too expensive in the long run.

2. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I am lucky enough to work in an IT department, so I have free access to all those products. Now we just made an agreement with Microsoft to access Office 365, so we have all of that, which is something really convenient, as I always have the latest software for free. At least while I am working here. :)

3. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Usually stores on my area have them already installed for the benefit of the user. If the PC don't have an office I will rather install Libre office because its free and its cheaper than Microsoft office.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update That is good for you. When I was still working in the government, our good Mayor has given us a laptop for our job. However, it had no office installed. We had to secure it and pay for its installation. In my case, I tried to get an open source office program but I found it a bit awkward so I went with the rest of the group for installation for a fee.

Now, I am already retired from the service. I have my own personal laptop. I let it to be upgraded to Windows 10. I paid for it. After two months, I was prompted that my OS has to expire soon. I checked its info. It's already activated. Why it keeps reminding me?

windows 10 activation.

#4Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @Nakitakona@Nakitakona Pretty strange that you had to pay for Windows 10 when the upgrade was free? Why didn't you simply upgrade? Also, you have the 32bit operating system, meaning you are not using all of your RAM memory, as you can see from the picture, just 1,74 out of 2GB.

Are you still getting that message that the OS is about to expire?

#5Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Computer vendors here are wise because they include the basic softwares in the bundled cost of the computer, i.e. hardware and software (OS, Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, etc). I am in the process of contemplating to buy a new computer and I’m thinking of getting the hardware only. Some vendors have that option. And if it is cheaper then I would buy a separate license for the Windows 10 and forgo with MS Office because I am planning to install Office Libre, an open source equivalent of MS Office. However, the downside is the difficulty of operating so I have to learn the commands.

7. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much. Let's say we want to buy a computer, and it costs $300. In fact we are paying $400 or $500 because of the software installed there, even if we are not interested. It just comes as a bundle as you mention @Alexandoy@Alexandoy, but what we are buying it's not even discriminated... ;)

8. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    When I purchased my laptop it came with pre-installed office in it. So I never thought about purchasing. I guess my office version is 2007 which is quite old. I thought about purchasing latest version than I thought it is still going okay for me. I mean it is doing all the work I required. So no need to spend anything on it right now.

9. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    When I got my laptop, it had the FreeDOS installed on it. So there was no office installed on it. But when I went for the Windows 10 upgrade. I had this offer of Wndows 10+Office Home edition in offer. Only nominal 20$ extra. You can see that it'd be surely an addition to the existing operating system. I'd say for those who like it such offers can be good.

10. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 I'm using the same version of MS Office. I don't mind not upgrading to the latest version because its features are good enough for me. I got the installer from our IT department. My nephew have installed a trial version of MS Office and it's been a nuisance because it keeps asking him to register - for a fee, of course. Most laptops here come with Windows 10 but without MS Office. Retailers will install MS Office if the buyer is willing to add $40 to $70 to the price.

#10Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2017
  11. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille Same here. I guess it can do all normal office work. So why to upgrade? Yes may be we can get more features, but I guess for now it is okay. Even I will suggest you the same, if you are okay with version then you can skip the purchase till you really needed the upgraded one. Good to hear that you are using windows 10, I am behind in that too, still using windows 7. Lol

#11Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2017
  12. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Most brand new laptops don't come with Microsoft Office and I wonder why. Well they will let you try it for at least a month then you'll decide whether to purchase it or stop using it. I'm not using MS Office anymore because of that reason and there are other office software that I can use aside from Microsoft. The one that I'm using is WPS by Kingsoft which comes for free and I never had any problems with it since I've first use it a few years ago.

13. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Oh no, my OS is actually Windows 8.1. I bought my laptop three years ago and that was the default OS. It's Windows 10 now. By the way, I just realized that Microsoft had been sending notices that they will disable support for MS Office 2007 in 2017 and that I should upgrade to the latest version. I'm very much comfortable with 2007 and I'd rather not upgrade. I only use the basic features of the software so I can probably risk not getting support. However, if they actually meant that I can no longer use it, then that's another story.

14. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Even I wonder what is meaning of further support there?

I guess it will be related to future updates. I am okay with whatever I am having now with office 2007. And I think I will be fine even without future support as so far I never used any. So I guess it should be fine. But yes if someone is having more work then upgrading should be fine.

15. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I have a pirated Microsoft Office disk, pirated discs are readily available in our area so if I want a specific software or even movies then I simply just go to those stalls.