Would You Go Into Hiding To Avoid Paying Debt?

Discussion in Credit Cards started by ReadWriteLearnLove • Feb 11, 2016.

1. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @ReadWriteLearnLove@ReadWriteLearnLove Welcome to my dear country Nigeria. It's a common thing here for most people. In fact, it's the best strategy most people employ in order to avoid embarrassment. I would really blame anyone for doing such as I believe that actually being in debt is not a funny situation in one's life or anybody.

Yes, from time to time I might be forced to go into hiding depending on the amount of debt I am. If it's something I can easily pay off, I won't be going into hiding likely but if it's a huge debt that will put me in a great mess and humiliation, going into hiding is the best thing to do at the moment.

#21Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
  2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would go into hiding and constantly looking over my shoulder worried that I will be found. I can see people going into hiding if they committed a horrible crime but not over debt. However, not all people think rationally about situations and do things rashly. It is so common nowadays to be in debt that I can't see why people need to be ashamed of it. We all make mistakes and things sometimes happen beyond our control. So we just pull up our bootstraps and deal with it.

3. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I do understand that there are certain cases where people have to loan money because they have to, like there is an emergency and big money is needed but they do not have it so they go out there and make loans. But there are also people who have a habit of getting tons of loans and then disappear. I really hate these kind of people, because of them, credit cards are really hard to access here in our place. A lot of people had hundreds of thousands or at least tens of thousand in credit card debts and they would just run away. I find credit cards useful for emergencies that's why I like them, but because of people like these, it is really hard for a lot of people who know how to use credit cards wisely to obtain them.

4. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, when most people borrow money from banks, financial institutions or even from other people, I believe that in the back of their minds, they would be just as glad to return it. However, sometimes the well deviced plan you had, that would help you refund the money with ease, backfires. So now what do you do?

As for me, I do not think that running away is the best solution, because you can give the debtor a security, to stand in place as you look for the money. Personally I have not been in a debt greater than $10. However, if a debtor threatens to take me to jail, or in extreme cases, kill me, honestly I would be tempted to run.

5. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    There is no way that you can run away from your debt. Your bank or the company that issued you credit cards of loan will find you. You may change your address, your phone number, but you might have given them your social security number or your workplace address. They might even shame you on social media (everyone can be found on social media). If you don't have the capacity of paying back, you should never get high interest credit cards ot loan.

6. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    Giving the law the slip is never a good idea. It is obvious that it will always catch up to you no matter which crevice you hide in. It is better to face your problems head-on and be done with it. When it comes to paying someone else's debt it is a different case I guess. This can make you go off the grid whether you want to or not. It is, however, better to come to terms with the reality and own up to it. I definitely wouldn't, but don't be like me haha!

7. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    This is absolutely true, there is no way one can completely run away from his debt. The person being owed is definitely going to catch up with the debtor sooner than later.

Come to think of it, I have actually seen social media being used to create publicity of someone who tried to elope with someone's fund. This made it impossible for that individual to leave country and he was eventually found.

8. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly I would think hiding would simply make the matter worse and either send you to jail or make you pay more later down the road. It would be better to just pay it off as quickly and steadily as you can as well as to make sure you don't get in debt in the first place. Find some side jobs online and offline to help pay it off quicker.