Wallpaper Instead Of Paint

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Alexandoy • Oct 3, 2016.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It looks like there's a need of repainting the interior of our home. But we are thinking of using wallpaper this time. It would be our first time with wallpaper so we are careful in evaluating our options. With the paint, we do the painting of the walls by ourselves and we only hire people to do the ceiling. But with the wallpaper, we are apprehensive that we might make a mistake and waste the wallpaper which is not really cheap.

How easy is it to do the wallpaper?

2. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I never have had wallpapers in my home. I have never done wallpapers. I always use acrylic paint that allows me to rub stain from the wall without damaging the paint. I have painted my room myself, but instead of doing myself, I always hire professional. An amateur will spill lot of paint while painting.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Wallpaper was in unite in my region some time past as people prefer cardboards then paint them or plaster the walls if the house is made of concrete. There are other issues like the possibility of a fire breakout or harmful pests hiding inside posing a threat to the occupants.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used wallpapers. I donot know how reliable they are with kids around drawing and sketching on the walls.

I have prefered paints that allows easy cleaning.

Besides, I find the wallpaper not that bright after a period of time.

5. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    We use latex paints in the past for our walls but recently they appear yellowish and discolored already because of age. I've also tried wallpapers before but they get easily peeled off because we have pets and kids at home. Recently, I've come across with wall stickers. Although much expensive than papers, I prefer wall stickers better because they last longer, and they don't easily discolor just like what you have with normal wall paints. One good thing about wall stickers is that it can easily be replaced and you can also design your own wall art. Have you heard about wall stickers before? If you are familiar with Tarpaulins used in advertisements, wall stickers are similar but they are more elastic and rubbery.

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I think that using wallpaper is the better choice, because I noticed that paint tends to get chipped, faded, and they deteriorate as time goes by. My aunt uses wallpaper in her home, and they seem to stand the test of time. They don't chip or fall off by itself, so I guess using a wallpaper is the better choice.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have not used wall paper before so I can't determine which is best. I find myself having to repaint my house a lot probably has to do with the quality of the paint, maybe it's not too good. As for wall papers I have seen it at one of my friends house and looks very nice and durable.

8. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    The dividers of your home have the benefit of changing and changing your space with the assistance of paint or backdrop. A sensational room can in a split second be made delicate and breezy with the use of light pale paint shading. While a room that feels too huge can in a split second feel comfortable with darker backdrop with a striking example. There are upsides and downsides of utilizing paint or backdrop. Components to consider are simplicity of utilization, cost, and adaptability to your space. Whichever you pick your dividers will profit by the expansion of paint or backdrop.

9. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I have not used wallpaper before but in future when I build my own home I am thinking of using wallpaper because it is easy, reliable and also looks much more appealing than paint. There are also so many new designs available and choose the best you like.

10. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Well, using wallpapers in the interior of a room sounds a bit strange to me though I have seen rooms where there are colorful wallpapers but I am not sure the entire place was covered with the wallpapers. I am used to painting my room outright. I think painting should be more economical and durable.

11. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I've wallpapered our home a couple of times in the past, and while I wouldn't say it's a hard job to do, if you aren't confident then I'd certainly just start with the smallest room in your house just to see how you go on. What I found is that while it wasn't especially hard to do, you do need a lot of patience and it does take a while to get used to hat you are doing and especially if you've got patterned paper.

I do think it's a job that everyone should have a go at, but don't be surprised if you quickly decide that it's not for you and you end up having to rely on bringing in a professional to finish it off for you!

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer paint over wallpapers because they last longer and are easier to apply. Wallpaper was the in thing when I was a child and I sort of grown tired of it. I currently have my room painted in dark grey for a change. Wallpapers are back, it seems, and I've seen new condominiums with wallpaper finish lately and they come in more modern designs that what I've gotten used to seeing. They're more expensive, though, and I don't want to waste my money by trying to do it myself.

13. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Wall paper was so much in use during our early days of decorating our home. We had it all over the house. We were living in a ground flat those days and we were faced with moisture. The wallpaper was coming off the walls. We got back to paint. Removing the paper was labour intensive.

14. Pravish

PravishMember

Threads:
    Using wall paper instead of paint is a really good idea. It is lighter on your pocket. You have numerous designs to choose from when you choose to put wall papers. Wall papers are simple to paste on the walls which saves your time and you do not need to hire any skilled labour for that work. Unlike the paint job which involves scraping and putting various coat of chemicals wall paper is a "DO IT YOURSELF" thing. You may change it quite easily if you wish to, which makes it the most convenient option to choose for your walls in the expensive modern world.

15. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I have never used wallpapers in my home before. In college, some friends has them on their room wall and I just admire them from afar. I have only lived in homes that had normal paints and I have no idea how a wallpapered home looks like.

I will suggest that you check out some videos on Youtube if you decide to go this route. Instagram or Pinterest can also give some great advice or tips or ideas.

16. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I'd recommend trying it on one wall first. Do a "focal wall" and see how you like it. Depending on the color, pattern, etc., sometimes wallpaper can be a bit overpowering, especially if it's not a huge room. It's also quite expensive, so creating one focal wall and painting the rest might be a nice compromise.

You get the look, and some pattern, but you also get the more subdued areas with the other walls, plus you save money.

I think you could probably do it yourself. Just take your time.

17. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    Never a fan of wall papers so I have never tried putting some on the walls. Aside from not being a fan, I think it would cost a lot and at the same time wouldn't last a lot longer than paint would. Paint would be a lot easier to apply I think and it might cost a lot cheaper, plus I do not need to hire someone to do it since I can paint the walls by myself.

18. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen walls that were beautifully covered with wallpapers at saloons and other public places. I actually liked them but I haven't use wallpaper on walls at home. I think wallpapers are good for temporary use and if we want a more lasting wall effects then paint should be used outright. Which is more economical wallpaper or paint?

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    This was a solution I used in my room and it was a very smart decision. I was able to save a very significant amount avoiding having to use ink and still avoided all the dirt. :D

20. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have a bit of a pet peeve when it comes to wall paper, and it can look nice but I still prefer a good coat of paint. I much prefer painting a room too versus putting up wallpaper, which is a mess in it's own right.