Can Eating Too Much Protein Be Bad?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by rares209 • Mar 11, 2015.

1. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    An excessive protein intake can be harmful to your liver, brain and nervous system. When you eat protein, your body produces ammonia, a toxin that your liver makes harmless. Eating too much protein over a long period of time can cause your liver to become overworked, allowing ammonia and other toxic substances to build up in your bloodstream. This can lead to hepatic encephalopathy, a condition marked by a decline in brain and nervous system function.

2. AlexZ

AlexZMember

Threads:
    Your body can only use a certain amount of protein each day. If you take in too much protein, you may gain weight. Each gram of protein has 4 calories. If you take in 100 grams of protein, but your body can only use 50 grams of it, your body will store the extra 200 calories' worth of protein as fat.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Have you gone to your family doctor about the amount or the quantity of the protein that you want or you need? Or it is just your presumption that you need more protein because you have a lean muscles. You better have to take a precaution. Study shows that an excess protein a person takes lead him to develop extra weight or more, yeast overgrowth and cancer. It is better to ask the doctor, your dietitian, or the nutritionist.

4. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. It can cause Alzheimers if you eat too much over time. It has been studied several times, that's why I always balance my meals to prevent this from happening. Please check this

>

5. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I too have been thinking the same. My sister is taking protein powder to reduce weight. But I was not so sure about it. Therefore, I did not order for one. Does taking protein shake really help in reducing weight. What happens when I stop drinking it? Will I regain the weight I had lost?

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Consuming too much of anything can be bad to even life-risking. Too much protein in your system has been known to be a cause for cancer and any other bacterial infection. You should keep all food you eat balanced. Everything is bad in excess; even water.

7. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    We need five category of different food everyday which provide a range of nutrients to our system to keep it healthy. Taking something in larger portion means cutting on others which may not be good idea for a balanced diet. However, extra protein is advised during muscle building exercises which is generally done under supervision.

8. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    If you're still young, you shouldn't have too many problems. Older adults could run into trouble with their kidneys/Gout caused by too much protein. Younger individuals seem to pull off a high-protein diet better than anyone over 40.

Personally, I had this one online doctor convince me that almost 90% of my diet should be protein. He said it would cause major weight loss and higher energy levels, stabilize blood sugar, and manage hormone/cortisol levels. I was able to eat high-protein for exactly 48 hours. :D Then something must have happened with my blood sugar (I'm hypoglycemic, opposite of diabetic,)...and I ended up falling face-down on the floor. I was leaning on a fence and the whole fence went down with me. My Dad told me he had to call my name a few times to "get me back with it"....so I must've been out for a few seconds. :rolleyes::eek:

So for me, NO. Can't do high-protein. But I have low blood sugar issues. If it's working for you, it aids in your workouts, and you feel fine, then I don't see why you should need to worry about it. But remember to get a little sugar in ya every now and then. I learned that the hard way. ;) Good Luck!

9. Muntic0re

Muntic0reNew Member

Threads:
    too much is always bad find golden mean

10. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    With the ubiquity of "high-protein" diets, you may be enticed to trust you essentially can't gorge protein. In any case, truly devouring inordinate protein can really be very negative to your wellbeing. Eating more protein than your body needs can meddle with your wellbeing and wellness objectives in various ways, including weight increase, additional muscle to fat quotients, weight on your kidneys,dehydration, and filtering of vital bone minerals.

In all actuality, your body needs protein. Protein and its variety of amino acids are the essential building hinders for your muscles, bones, and numerous hormones. You can't live without it. As you age, and amid pregnancy, devouring adequate measures of top notch protein is particularly imperative, as your capacity to process protein decays with age, raising your protein prerequisites. This is particularly valid for maturing guys. Protein jelly incline muscle that is normally lost with age. Top notch proteins from field raised creatures are more effectively utilized by your body than those from plants.

All things considered, there is a furthest point of confinement to how much protein your body can really utilize.

11. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes,it can be bad for you because your kidneys have to work extra hard-but you have to eat a lot of protein for this to happen-and your kidneys have to get rid of all the xtra nitrogen. If you do eat a lot of meats(like lots of chicken breasts) and other proteins-make sure to drink a lot of water. Also to much protein can make your breath a bit funky -and you can gain to much weight as well.

12. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Proteins are very important for the body. They are the building blocks, but they have limits. In excess of consuming them, the body physiological function would be affected or hampered. Every individual should consume what is only needed by the body, enough to for its normal function. Nutritionist is the authorized person that can determine the amount of foods, nutrients and minerals a person needs. Let's be reminded anything being consumed not proportionate to the body needs is not good.

13. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon RasheedMember

Threads:
    You should be careful because excess of everything is bad.If you eat an extra amount of protein then you may not be able to live a healthy life in future.The excess of proteins may ruin your health in a few months or days.It may destroy the normal working of your digestive system and stomach.If you want to enjoy a healthy life then you should eat a specific amount of protein.

14. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Eating protein is not bad but in relation to what you just asked "eating too much" won't certainly be a good idea. Although you may be feeling good as you pointed but believe it's not all the glitters that are gold.

Sooner or later you are definitely bound to experience some changes you didn't bargain on and it would probably be as a result of too much consumption of protein. There are is a saying that goes like this, " too much of everything is bad" so on this note, you have to take it when I tell you that too much of protein consumption is not good for your health.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well regardless of the situation, the old moniker of everything in moderation is always a good one, and anything can be bad if you have too much. Of course it depends on a lot of other factors though that have been mentioned, so just be careful and maybe avoud the supplements if you are concerned.

16. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Your food should be a balanced diet, you should never eat too much or too less of anything. Your food should contain right propotion of protein, if you take excess proteins, you may develop uric acidic. High amount of protein will also disbalance amino acids, which may cause stones in kidneys and gall bladders. Excess proteins may also put you under the risk of cancer.

17. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Eating too much is not good for your health, I heard that eating too many proteins may affect your kidneys, you may feel constipated, and bloated, and your body gets affected and get hyperaminoacidemia, hyperammonemia, and hyperinsulinemia.
    Sometimes is better to eat in normal parameters and not abuse eating too much!

18. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure about it as I never heard about anything bad related to it. But I don't think there can be problem by consuming more of protein. Not sure as I said. I like DAL (Indian food) which contains good protein. I used to eat it regularly. But never had any problem. But I am really not sure about how much protein it is having. I have just heard that it contains good amount of protein.

19. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The best thing to do in this situation is to consult with a nutritionist who would be able to advise you on the appropriate protein intake according to your needs.

20. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Yes too much of any nutritional always leads to issue. And that's something you have to consider as well. I think eating protein has some of the issues. You can see that protein eating may have issues for those who have the kidney stone issues. And also those who are having the diabetic. They can have the issues as well. So make sure to limit the protein intake as well. That's something we have to think of when it comes to eating pattern.