Newspaper Versus Online News Sites

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Corzhens • Jul 10, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you still buying newspaper? We used to have a subscription to one major newspaper here. But when the websites of newspapers started publishing their online version, my husband stopped the subscription and just relied on the websites of the newspapers. There are 3 major newspapers and we patronize all of them - our internet browsers has the links. However, my husband still buys newspaper every Monday for The New York Times supplement which is not in the online version.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like getting my news as fast as possible. If there's news you'll get it on the net, the moment it breaks. Details will trickle in slowly but at least you'll know what happened long before someone who buys a Newspaper the next day does. And as most of the sites I read news on are free to access, I don't see the need to spend any money on newspapers.

3. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I patronize both printed and online news. I grew up having a newspaper in front of me during breakfast so I was also inclined to reading the printed news for so many years. I read online news articles on a daily basis too since I'm always online so I really couldn't choose between the two because I love reading anything on print despite the fact that news is already readily available online. :)

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Online news are cheaper and more convenient to access at the touch of a button unlike newspapers and publications which one has to travel to acquire. However in terms of visual and tactile utility, hard copy newspapers carry the day because they make up for a solid reading experience using more of the reader's senses. Thats why most people still go for publications inspite of digital versions being launched.

5. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    Nowadays, we only need old newspapers where our dogs can do their business. I get my news from the Internet. As soon as I open my browser, MSN already has the latest updates on world events. Besides, going paperless is much more helpful to the environment.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I've only used the free newspaper to look for jobs or rentals but in any other cases and sometimes for the same reasons, I'll just search online. I've never paid for the newspaper and I end up getting relevant news I would want to know from my friends posting on FaceBook.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Newspapers cost a lot more money considering there is already an internet bill. Nonetheless, some internet users might want to read a paper because they get tired of looking at computer screens. In other cases, they want something they can read at a restaurant etc. without having to bring a laptop.

By the way, many or most papers have an online version so there is no need to have a printed copy. However, many of them charge some sort of fee. Of course, now you might be saying, "Well in that case, online stuff isn't less expensive." Well, that can be the case, but generally speaking, a lot of local and pretty much all national and world news can be gotten online on advertising supported websites.

8. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    It's a habit that is continuing.
    Frankly speaking, there's no need of a print media these days. When news are at your hand, and it is coming to you within seconds of occurrence..print media doesn't keep much of a value. However, we have been used to have a print version every morning at the doorstep, and that has become a habituated practice hard to get rid of.

9. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Nowadays I am also trying to make it a habit to use online version of newspapers. The best part is that we can see it before the printed version is finally out. We can also save some money and the only cost we incur is towards electricity and data usage which is quite negligible.

Earlier I used to buy three newspapers which is now reduced to a single newspaper. I will gradually stop this too but still I am quite used to read printed newspaper in the morning with a coffee in hand. Otherwise I feel like I missed something.

10. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have never subscribed to a newspaper really. Before the internet, it was sharing between neighbours now it's the net.

I only miss the paperpage for solving crosswords or joining the dots to complete a picture. Otherwise, its saving mother nature,(wood, paper), environment and cash.

11. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I do not rely on newspapers or even TV networks for news. I do not know if it's the same in your country, but here in my place, the media just gives us crap. they did nothing but give us crap news about what our president is doing, it's like they want him ousted. But in reality, a lot of people support him. When the past administration was still in charge, there was not any crap news. Everything they do wrong are being covered.

12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    My husband likes the old fashioned way so he buys a news paper every times he has a day off. I don't really like reading the news paper so if I want to know about the latest news I look it up online or let my husband tell me what he read about.

13. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    The newspaper is still good on the community level and really captures the spirit of things where you live and also a lot of coupons for shopping are in the Sunday paper as well. The inserts from the grocery stores tell you what deals they have- which makes it more convenient when you find out beforehand which stores you want to shop at also. I like the online news but also find getting the Sunday paper is nice as well.

14. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    I have subscribed to two newspapers. I have been reading newspaper since I was 14 years old. I still read newspaper every morning for half to one hour as time permits. Sometimes when I have less time on my hands, I prefer to visit the online site of the newspaper. Reading the newspaper has a different feeling as comparing to online news sites. It is like comparing paperbacks to e-books.

15. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I hardly read more printed newspaper, my consumption of news is mostly online. It's more practical, simpler and the amount of information that can be read is always greater.

16. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    I am still buying newspaper and will continue to do so since i believe they offer a much better reading experience and are practical.

17. Lead Gener

Lead GenerNew Member

Threads:
    Still buying once a week unlike before. :)

18. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, my dad still buys newspapers when they're available at the store. I think it's a waste of money since we have cable already, but he says that there are more details and news in the newspaper than in the tv.

19. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I never buy newspapers any more because there is no need but some of my older friends do who don't have internet access. I think newspaper sales must have plummeted with the introduction of the internet. I occasionally get a free paper which is usually full of advertisements but even that ends up at the bottom of the guinea pig cage. I remember my parents buying a paper daily but I read the news online or watch it on tv.

20. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I got used to reading the newspaper on a daily basis when I was younger because my dad would have them delivered to our house every morning. Those were the days though. When the internet took over, the newspaper lost a lot of its customers. Come to think of it, the cost of buying newspapers on a daily basis is almost equal to the cost of the most basic internet (with landline) subscription in my country. The internet almost has all the stuff that you can find in a newspaper. The newspaper publications have their online versions for free. And while I admit to enjoying the guilty pleasures of reading tabloid stuff celebrity gossip, I've discovered several celebrity gossip websites as well. :D

I think that some meaty tabloids will always have their place but the broadsheets have really taken a lot of hits. I'm glad that I can still manage to read broadsheets for free at the office and within the bank where they offer newspapers for waiting clients. It's still an altogether different experience than simply reading news through the internet as there are features that can't be found on their online version.