How Do You Minimize The Consumption Of Cooking Gas?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by moondebi • Jan 15, 2017.

1. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Though it’s not a big deal here to avail LPG, but there’s certainly a limit for every household to avail one in subsidized price. Given that, we need to judiciously use so that the number doesn’t outweigh the requirement.

I use induction cooker to save the consumption of cooking gas which looks pretty cost effective. Apart from that, pressure cooking is another mode which reduces the consumption to a large extent.

Could you lend other ideas?:)

2. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    You have to just keep watching it on a regular basis. If there is a way to measure how much you have left, as some devices seem to have in this day and age, then you need to stay nearby and continue to measure it. Never leave this alone or go too far away....

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our consumption of an 11-kilo LPG tank is usually 2 months. But ironically, this holiday season when cooking was frequent, our tank lasted for 3 months. Anyway, our SOP is to lock the tank's valve after use to prevent escape of gas. The switch of the stove should also be shut after using. This also prevents accidental escape of gas.

And when cooking, tone down the fire a bit when the pot is already boiling for excess heat is useless. Also do not heat a small pot with maximum fire, another waste of gas.

4. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    In practical terms, when cooking can you combine dishes so that you don't have to heat more water than needed. For example, use the water you cooked the vegetables in to make gravy while it is still hot, or if you are steaming something at the same time, put it on top of the pan. If you can get a kettle or small electric hob, using that for small dishes and boiling water can be more efficient than heating a gas range for the same job.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that using gas was a limited thing. Locally here in Hawaii either gas or electricity is used. Gas and electricity is pay as you use. I prefer electricity because it's a lot safer to me. To save on electricity we unplug. We leave the heater on for just about half an hour a day, unless we forget to turn it off when we finish using the shower, lol it happe,ns once in a while. Saving on gas, well we had gas when I was little. Maybe getting a microwave oven can help save on gas for warm up foods or a portable electric burners for cooking and warming food.

#5Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2017
  6. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have an idea whether there's a device out there to measure the volume left. We are blindfolded never to know when it's going to expire. However, a cylinder remains in stock if I can manage with one for certain duration.

7. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    @efrain silva@efrain silva I do not have an idea whether there's a device out there to measure the volume left. We are blindfolded never to know when it's going to expire. However, a cylinder remains in stock if I can manage with one for certain duration.

@Alexandoy@Alexandoy The person who's in charge of your kitchen needs to be applauded for such an efficient usage.

Our domestic cylinders are of 14 kilo, and it lasts one and half months at most.

You have provided a nice clue to cut down. Often we use maximum fire even for small pots. It a wastage I'll try to eliminate.

#7Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017
  8. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    Every utility is precious. Using gas economically is important for every individual. We do not the gas on high every time. Instead, we use a moderate flame which helps a great deal. It does not burn the utensil and also lowers the gas consumption. Our domestic cylinders are also of 14 kilograms and they last around 2 months for us which I believe is reasonable. Also, the gas subsidy provided by the government also helps to a great extent.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @moondebi@moondebi I forgot to add the use of pots and pans. When cooking a small portion of food, say one egg for frying, use a small skillet because a big pan consumes more gas to heat it up. The same goes with pots, when boiling a small amount like the capacity of a glass of water, use a small pot. That's the reason why we have several sizes of pots and pans which have their own usage for gas consumption.

#9Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017
  10. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We normally consume an 11-kg LPG cylinder in two months which is just fair. Here are some of my tips for lowering gas consumption: If you have to cook legumes like mung beans, soak them in water for a few hours to soften them and lessen cooking time. Cover the pot and pans to maximize the heat while cooking without turning the fire up. Plan fast-cooking meals like vegetables. Cook rice in low fire to avoid burning and help save on gas. Check your stove and tank on a regular basis for defects or leaks that can waste gas or cause accidents.

11. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Cooking only the necessary and in a way that I can cook them in large quantities so as not to have to repeat the process unnecessarily. This helps a lot at the end of the month.

12. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    There are several ways by which we can reduce consumption of the gas. Some of which that I use are using a pressure cook to cook rice, pulses, potatoes and other beans and legumes etc. that require prolonged cooking time. Pressure cooking such things certainly reduces the time involved greatly. When I have to reheat or cook food that is stored in refrigerator or freezer, I make sure to take them out a few hours prior to cooking so that they reach room temperature and are not too cold in which case, more gas is needed. If you really look for such small things, you will certainly find more ways to reduce your gas consumption.

13. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I've got an electric pot in handy whenever there's a need for hot water for my coffee and basically a rice cooker for a nicely done cooked rice. Though I'm saving on gas and time using these alternatives, I must admit that they're consuming a bit on my electricity so it's not really practical.

14. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    There is no way you can save gas, only if you decide to cook less than usual or not use the hot water as usual. I heard people that are using a device to make the counter no longer spinning, but no one wants to say what device it is or how to make it.

15. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I actually own an electric mini stove and to be honest it is working great and the electric bills almosts remain the same as they used to so I save a ton of money on not buying gas. I haven't found the need to buy a regular stove and I been been like this for almost three years now. what started out as a help to struggle less with financial problems with stay for a long time now.

16. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    This question is rather difficult since cooking certain items faster might not be a good or a healthy option so it's difficult to manage.

17. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I use pressure to cook. Food gets cooked pretty fast in pressure cooker. This saves time and cuts costs on gas. I also use small cooking wears to cook small quantities of food. When you are uing big cooking pots, it takes time to heat. I try to include raw food in my daily died. When you don't cook, you save gas.

18. lucykey

lucykeyMember

Threads:
    @moondebi@moondebi Cooking gas is costly and hence there is need to make every effort to minimize it's usage by avoiding unnecessary usage.I also use kettle to boil water for other usage instead of using gas. Using pressure cooker also saves on gas. These tips help me reduce my gas consumption.[/QUOTE]

#18Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2017
  19. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:

I always open it at low pressure. The sound of gas rushing out clearly indicates if I have adjusted for plenty of gas or less. I believe it lasts longer if I use it this way. My mother always llights the gas cooker at high pressure and the sound of high pressure gas rushing out is always high. The gas stove never lasts two months but I know it can last 3 months if we all light it at low pressure.