Saving Money On Domain Extensions - Some Tips

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Jason76 • Nov 14, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Well, first of all, extensions like .win and .bid can be had for 5 years for a meager price of around 5 USD. Also, there are ones that are even free for one year like .ml, .tk, .gq, and .ga. However, though, the downside of all this stuff is that many find these extensions sound weird. However, though, a person can be creative and create domain hack like TheTeamIsGoingTo.Win, stuff like that.

2. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, lot of those extensions are of no value in the market. And that's why their prices are low. Currently Godaddy is pushing some commercial extensions. And in reality SEO wise those domains have no value. But they are being used for spamming and creating scraped content. So it's always good to stick with reputed domains. You can find some domains getting traction but it requires a lot of effort. I suggest checking with SEO communities on how those domains fare in the market.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The problem with domains that people aren't used to or have heard is that people will think they are fake websites and won't click. I have a .co domain and people still struggle with that in trusting it is a legitimate domain. The most trusted is .org and .com and even .info and . net aren't as well trusted as they once were.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I am using .info for 6 years already and my blog site is doing well. It has a great organic traffic. It didn't affect my usual or routine website activities since I used that new domain name extension.

I have no problem so far for it works well for me and it's cheap. I renew it every year.

5. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    Well even though you can save significant money when using certain cheap domains but you risk not reaching greater audience.

6. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to SEO, domain extension does not matter. Search engines treat all extensions equally. Therefore, it does not matter whether you are using .io (cost $32 to register), .com (costs around $10) or .space (costs $5 for five years). But these people have different opinions. They will consider a .com to have more value than .xyz.

7. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends on site. If someone wants some professional site then better to go for popular extension. Otherwise less popular domain extensions are fine for me. I mean suppose I am making blog for spreading knowledge and for few other purposes, then I don't think personal blog need those costly extension for any reason.

8. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    That's true. Even though search engines treat all extensions equally, people go not treat all websites equally. If people are looking for government information, they will trust dot gov site, if they are looking for information on education, they will check edu websites. People do not value new extensions. Dot com is the populat choice.

9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In the US, to be memorable - as in someone would hear your name and then type in your website, a .com is needed. However, in another nation, it might not be the same. For instance, in the UK, a site would be assumed to be .co.uk.

Anyway, though, it might be possible to market the non.com (or whatever non thing in your land) if the domain extention is emphasized in marketing.

That's true - most of the time. However, though, some exceptions are there. For instance, if you're trying to rank a .co.uk site in the US, it's going to be tougher.

#9Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  10. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Country domain, for instance .co.uk, is good for the site that is based in the UK and targets UK traffic. However, if you want to attract global traffic, dot com is the best domain extension. However, since dot com is the oldest domain, finding the right domain with dot com is quite impossible, most of the names you can think will be already taken. YOu gavr to either compromise on the name or extension.

11. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    That's not necessarily true. Basically what is really meant is, "Finding the right generic domain with dot com is quite impossible.". For instance, anyone can add some letter to business - like gkBusiness.com or some other weird thing and can probably do it. However, though,to get HotBusiness.com for reg price - is quite difficult.

12. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I agree but these days other extensions are getting popularity too. Yes .com is quite famous and people where not trusting new extensions. But now things are changing after they get little awareness about it. But you are true about government sites. Otherwise I will be okay with other non popular extensions too.

13. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, more and more people are going with new domain extensions, however, if you check search engines the high ranking sites are the ones that are using popular extensions like com, net, org etc.

14. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    As far as I know, search engine ranking is depend on the content of the site. I don't think those extensions really matters. I have seen few sites with new extensions doing really fine with the search engine too. So I think it depends on the content. So if one don't have more professional business then for personal blog or site, I think new extensions are good. They can save money. Not only that, I have seen some big companies too using such new extensions for their site.

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's many of them. It still seems to be a big no-go zone, tbh. However, though, for other people, there is definitely a lot of enthusiasm for the new extensions, or otherwise, they wouldn't be registering so many of them.

Well, for one I saw, obviously it's getting a lot of search engine traffic - but I bet it's difficult for visitors to re-find the site without a bookmark or using a search engine.

#15Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  16. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Domain extemsions do not matter for SEO purpose and every extension is well accepted by search engines. The criteria for search engine ranking is the content, keyword usage, backlinking, site design and site loading speed. However, the users will trust old extemsion more than the new ones.

17. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    May be some users are still thinking like that. But I have seen people have changed their mind. Because these days even big companies are using new extensions. This is becoming like trend and fashion. So I guess soon all will become habitual of this. This is what I have seen these days. So may be the price of those new extensions will too increase with that.Lol.