Smartphone Insurance

Discussion in Insurance started by remnant • Jul 27, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Some insurance companies have included smartphones in their catalogue of insurable items. Its a good idea since most of these phones are touchscreen meaning that dropping them accidentally would be costly. They are also targeted by thieves and the cost of replacing one can be prohibitive.

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I am guilty of being that person who automatically says no to anything extra that they try to sell you, even if it makes perfect sense. Insurance really used to fit into this category, but now that the phones are more involved in our lives, and they matter more, I think that might not immediately write this one off next time. I will actually let the person finish and hear them out, and I might even consider getting it.

3. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Not worth the extra cash for me. I have been using smartphones for at least 6 to 8 years and never lost or broke any of them. I usually don't replace my devices every year either like some people do.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think for me, it would depend on the cost. I don't currently have a cell phone contact, although I do have a smart phone. Back when I had my last contract, I was paying an additional $5 per month on the bill, for smart phone replacement. I did actually use the policy once, although I don't recall how the phone became damaged/nonfunctional. I was also able to bring my phone in to the stores for free service, which I found very handy at that time.

5. ADSSOLSN

ADSSOLSNMember

Threads:
    when I first heard about I thought it was a joke but then I realised some people do have very expensive gadgets.
    personally I would not buy this policy as I wouldn't as my phones are cheaper than the monthly payments.

6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've never considered getting insurance on my smartphone. My smartphone has very good features but it's a local brand (though made in China) and only cost me $100 when I bought it more than a year ago. I can always buy a replacement which may even turn out to be cheaper than the premium I might have to pay. Considering the hassles of claiming for insurance in case of loss or damage like securing police report or other documentation, it simply isn't something I want to shell out extra money for.

7. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    I have never taken out any smartphone insurance because personally I'm pretty careful within technology. I've dropped my previous phones a couple of times, but mostly they have been fine with very little damage (mostly just a scratch). With my latest phone I finally decided to get a phone as I didn't want to get it damaged as I don't think it is as hardy as my previous phones. Hopefully I never lose or damage my phone too badly *touch wood*.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure that it would ever get to the point where I would need this, but I guess if things keep going the way that they are then maybe the phone will be the ultimate device, so then I might need to have it.

9. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    My phone is under 300$ so I don't think the insurance would be any good. Because the same price as the insurance may break up my bank. And on that point I'd not want to be getting into the insurance. So I'd say insurance is something one can get if the phone is expensive. Like say Nexus, Apple, Samsung Galaxy etc.

10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I'm quite careful with my phone and have never taken out insurance. My nephew always does because he drops his so often and cracks the screen. When he had his first Sony Xperia he dropped it the day after he had it and had to send it off for repair.

I find a case protects mine and I'm careful not to put it anywhere it could get stolen. I may regret not buying insurance one day but so far so good.

11. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    In my own opinion, I don't see the need to get my phone any insurance because I know that my phone is disposable. I will take care of it but it will never be with me for more than 3 years. It is going to be obsolete. Especially now that there will always be a better phone every 6 months. The things that be filed for insurance, in my opinion, are cars, houses and other things that you know that would be with you longer than 2 years.

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not have insurance on my iPhone; but I am very careful with it, and I do always keep the phone in a protective case so that it should not break even if I did accidentally drop it.
    I think that when a person is very active in physical things, like hiking, or even biking, where you might be more apt to somehow lose or damage your phone, then having insurance for it is definitely worth the expense for the peace of mind that it will give you.

13. pmk1996

pmk1996New Member

Threads:
    I don't see why you need to insure a smartphone unless it's really expensive. That's just an extra cost that you will incur. It's easier to just backup up all your smartphone's data to the cloud and if you lose a phone you just buy a new one. If you want to save, avoid some 'luxuries' like insuring a smartphone. I don't think it's worth it.

14. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that smartphones can have insurances because I lost my mobile 3 months back and I just filed a complaint which I know nothing will change and I won't get my phone back. I have been using that phone for 2 years and what I was mainly afraid of the fact that I had lots of photos and other things which I am afraid that what will happen if it gets in the wrong hands. I couldn't do anything but buy another new mobile because of the necessity. Even if I am to get insurance for my smartphone it greatly depends on the cost because some companies may take advantage just because we are buying insurance. So it is wise to think before getting a insurance for a smartphone.