How Often Do You Replace Your Kitchen Sponges?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • Feb 17, 2016.

1. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I use kitchen sponges, but they should be replaced every one or two weeks-and these sponges are definitely a bacteria hotbed. A think you need to put them in the dishwasher with the dry cycle or wet it ,and then put it in the microwave for a minute. The microwaving of the sponge will get rid of these bacteria-so you can rest a bit easier when you do your dishes!

2. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I also used to replace kitchen sponges twice a month. They cost me only $0.15. But there are high quality kitchen sponges which have a green rough surface on one side attached to a soft yelllow sponge on the other side. This type of sponge last longer but it is always better to invest in a variety of kitchen sponges so you can choose the best for you.

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I replace my sponges as soon as they start to look a bit grubby which isn't long for me. They are cheap enough to buy so I don't mind using plenty. My sister soaks hers in bleach but I would rather just replace them.

I saw a programme which said what a breeding ground they are for bacteria and that has always stuck in my mind so I am careful with them.

4. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, great question! I wash dishes by hand a lot, but I have good sponges, so eventually they last a couple of months. When they don't hold the detergent well enough and are almost tearing apart, it means it's time for retirement for them, and a new one comes to the service. :)

5. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, we replace them when they are already worn out, after 2 months I think. They never really last up to 6 months, they break quite easily.

6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We use a high quality but low cost kitchen sponge that remains intact even after months of use but we never use them beyond one month. We wash the dishwasher before each use to make sure they're clean enough before they ever touch the plates. In addition, our dishwashing liquid has antibacterial properties which can help ward bacteria off the sponge. Once it has been used for a month, we re-purpose the sponge and use it to clean other areas of the house.

7. AmieBotella

AmieBotellaNew Member

Threads:
    Our kitchen sponges usually lasts for up to two weeks. I have several sponges for different uses. One for plates, glasses and cutlery. One for pots and utensils, one for the kitchen counters/cleaning. Usually the ones I use for the kitchen are the worn out from the plates. I noticed that sponges get slimy because they aren't drying up. So what I installed in my sink is a small, sort of a clothesline for them to be hanged when not in use and they dry up usually overnight and they're much better to use again the following day. I think no matter how good a quality of the sponge is, when they're constantly wet and soaked, they will just get slimy and grimy in short time. So I suggest that you clean them after use and try to dry them.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I put baking soda with my dish washing liquid ...saw on Dr. Oz to add it to sanitize it... about tsl. to a half gallon of water is all you need. I use a mesh yype safe for pots and cast iron pan. Cheap scrubber 3/.99. I change it once a month. I keep it for my outside sink.

9. StephanieZS07

StephanieZS07New Member

Threads:
    At least once half a month. They will produce bacteria if they are not replaced for a long time.

10. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I also use tea towels and a sponge for my kitchen.

11. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    It should be changed each month. I do agreed with Ray1 that cost of your kitchen sponges would be lesser then your doctor's. Or it is an healthy habit after all.