Smartphone vs. Dumbphone?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Mafdet • Mar 3, 2014.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But even without a smartphone a person can still take numerous videos and pictures of their children, and back them up safety. I think that feature phones are just as useful as smartphones. IN the last few years the price of feature phones has risen, because they have become very popular again, believe it or not. I guess people are over the annoying problems that one eventually faces with a smartphone.

2. gh0st233

gh0st233Member

Threads:
    Well, even old phones cost a lot when they break when they were new. I prefer a smartphone, because I can check my email, my Facebook, watch YouTube videos, play games and do many more things than I could with a simple old phone. I prefer an Android over any other type of phone. I used to have old phones before this, of course. I had anything from an old Motorola with an antenna, to a smartphone.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always just had the most basic cell phone, and been totally happy with that since i do not make a lot of calls anyway, and even more rarely did I text anything.
    Now, I have an iPhone that my daughter got for me, and I totally love that phone ! I still do not use it very often for online tings, but if necessary, it does have the capability of doing that. There have been times when I needed to check my email, or look up something online, and used my iPhone to do it.
    Texting is easier, too, and i really like the little guessing thingie that tries to supply words that it thinks you want to write next. A lot of the time, it comes out right, and saves me a lot of typing.
    I also love the camera, and that I do not have to do anything to get the pictures from the camera to the iPad; they connect automatically. Plus, it takes awesome pictures ! !

4. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of companies offer smart phones at such a low price with a family calling plan that it almost does not make sense not to get one. If you are buying one then it is a different story. Some people just use it for emergencies while others live and die on their cell phone. I myself would not use 70%+ of the features on a smart phone. I use my phone to make calls and that is it. And even that is usually just returning phone calls.

5. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    I do have a smartphone and I absolutely love it. I'm a big internet junkie and I love the fact that with my smartphone, I can go online whenever and wherever I am. I can also perform banking transactions while on the go. It just gets me frustrated sometimes because it can be really expensive. Nevertheless, I still prefer smartphones.

6. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    It is true that somehow a smartphone helps you organize your life, from your contacts to your schedule, to even your budget. the worst thing that you have to be prepared for is when the phone breaks down.. or went missing.. the smartphone companies are so smart to anticipate this buy incorporating icloud technology and linking the device to the cloud server to ensure back up.. which of course lead to another thing.. DATA LEAK... but looking beyond that.. it is for commercial reason that they do it to make sure that you are going to buy their smartphone again to replace the broken/missing one. business!!!!

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the intermediate between a smartphone and a dumb phone. By
    this, I an referring to a feature phone. I am currently using one and
    the greatest plus is that they are cheap and one can access a lot that
    is in smartphones. I consider a keypad phone to be better than a
    touchscreen one as one can operate them with one hand.

8. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I think I could use a feature phone just because the battery lasts for a long time compared to smartphones. I tend to charge my smartphone 4x a day, so I think a smartphone is ideal for browsing the net, but a dumbphone is ideal for making calls and texts.

9. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I began using a phone since 2005. I had a "dumb" phone. It was samsung. I began using a smartphone only in 2012. This was also a samsung phone. between 2012 and 2017, I briefly used a dumb phone. My smartphone broke beyond repair and I did not have a budget to buy a new smartphone therefore I had to use dumb phone.

10. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of smartphones are coming with really bad hardware. And they seem to be really harder to even work around. At the most they survive for the 1 year or so. Some even collapse before the end of the year. So on that point it is kind of dumb phones. And they are nothing but use and throw. I guess Chinese makers should do something to improve the quality.

11. Sirius

SiriusMember

Threads:
    I'm not a huge fan of smartphones. Up until a year ago I still had a dumbphone, but I broke it and got offered a smartphone for free by my phone company. I took the offer. I don't use all its features, I found smartphones too addictive and time consuming. Most of my friends spend half of their day using them and I find this abnormal.

My mother had a smartphone for a while, but she couldn't get around it. LOL She said "It's too complicated for me" and got herself a dumbphone. Cell phones of the past are much simpler to use and make life easier.

12. eminem77

eminem77New Member

Threads:
    With the technology that the Smartphone can provide, my point is on smartphone. But, still missing my Nokia 5110. LOL!

13. olobunny

olobunnyNew Member

Threads:
    I have a "smart" phone that was mid-range when it was released about 4 years ago. I bought it for $200, 3 years ago. However, I pay $10 a month for a basic plan with no data. I do not use any of the "smart" capabilities really - the phone is too slow for browsing the internet or anything. In "emergency" situations though (can't find an address or something) I can use 3G internet on a pay-as-you-go basis, which has happened to me maybe twice.

Somebody my age with my type of job is expected to have a newer model phone, to be sure. I don't mostly because I don't feel I would use any of the functionality and phones are very expensive, so it's not worth it.

The one scenario I could see a newer phone being really worth it for me would be if their cameras could seriously compete with my DSLR. I don't think they are there yet, but in a few years who knows.