Misleading Pictures

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Gad • Jun 27, 2017.

1. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    Most of the times while shopping online, we are misled by the advertising pictures. We are not able to physically inspect the product before ordering it. This is what happened when I was ordering a shirt on one of the online stores. The shirt in the picture was classic. It looked so elegant. The pricing was also high and I, therefore, decided to purchase it. However, when it was delivered, it looked less of the picture on the site. I had to cancel the order. The good thing is that I was supposed to pay on delivery. I simply told the person who brought it that it did not meet my expectations. Though shopping online may save you lots of money, at the same time it may make you get inferior products.

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if you are doing right. When you order online via C.O.D., you have to pay the price agreed before opening it. Once you open it and you find that it doesn't meet the item you have ordered, it should be returned and repacked to its original container or box. But it shouldn't be returned or through channel to the recent provider, You have to take an effort to send it back. That is how I understand.

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I have also been misled before, usually in clothes, bags, and pouches. I thought the material was sturdy, but to my disappointment, it was made of thin fabric. After that incident, I am now more careful in buying fabric items online, and I now just usually stick to items that don't require inspecting, like memory cards, for example.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Good thing this hasn't happened to me just yet as I always buy low priced items and they always turn out to be better than I expect. I have known of many friends who have gone through very bad experiences though, once my friend ordered a dress for prom that was supposed to be fitting but instead she got a dress that would fit a box it was without a body shape. Some clothing are made very nicely for the picture but for the ones that are being sold they put less effort in.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This is one of those things that still grinds my gears, yet I know that there is no real way of protecting against it. It happens every single ad though, so at this point I guess you just need to build that into your expectations.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I experienced same sometime ago, it was food I ordered for. Going by picture of the different menu of food and beverages available at this popular restaurant online I ordered for one that was looking sumptuous and well presented. However the price was moderate. I ordered for the food by calling the phone number of the nearest local branch. After an hour the delivery man brought the food. As I opened I wasn't exactly as much and sumptuous as the picture I saw before ordering. It was great food anyway but a short of what I had figured.

7. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. There are a lot of misleading photos of items when you shop online that's why I always buy items from sellers who have good reviews to make sure that I am not getting a false item. Before that, I had an experience wherein I purchased a make up organizer and the picture posted was Lori Greiner's make up organizer but the price is a bit cheaper compared to other sellers who are selling the same item so I gave it a go. Then when the item arrived, I was disappointed to see a different one. Same make up organizer but a little bit smaller with different design :(

8. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    Very true. I myself have received a few items that did not meet my expectations. Therefore, I have now stopped buying clothes online. The pictures that are shown and often misleading. Although, I read the reviews too, but still I prefer not to buy them online. It is better that you refrain from buying the stuff than returning them once received.

9. Ani_m

Ani_mMember

Threads:
    I'd say this happens a lot with online shopping. You just have to be careful. Chances are, you'll see that same picture elsewhere. This can be a sign they just stole the picture. Also, watch out for watermarks. These can tell you if the pictures were stolen. I like it when they offer videos using the product. It helps you see better what they look like.

10. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    This has been on for about as far as i can remember, a lot of people don't pay enough attention to the details so they end up getting or buying something they don't want.

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The misleading picture is one factor that discourages me from purchasing online. I once bought a purse which looked good in the photo. It was for my wife’s birthday gift. But when the purse arrived, my wife was not a bit excited because the purse was a turn off. It was too small and the color is drab. Since then, I never trust the photos anymore in online stores because of that experience with the purse.

12. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    For me it is the question of size. What is large there is not large for me. I had to return some item and have ordered for the xxL size hoping that it will be right for me and not too loose. Pictures also send wrong signals leading to frustration and disappointment

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Few things can be more frustrating than this, especially when you let yourself get fooled, which happens to the best of us. I know well and good that the pictures do not match the product, but still do fall for it from time to time, especially with food.

14. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Sadly this is one of the worst side effects of online shopping. I think that is why still offline shopping exists. A large majority of people believe in physically seeing the product before buying it. In online shopping there can be slight difference between what you saw in the image and finally what you got. But there are a lot scam products with unrealistic images. Like in eBay there are some rare fruit seeds which actually do not exist. There is seeds of a baby like guava, box water melons etc. Even though I haven’t bought any of them I wonder how they still survive in the site.

15. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    All of these are really helpful for having such a good time.