10 Grains of rice donated for every question you answer correctly.

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by marvelz • Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    2012-07-14_0909.

is an online site where anyone can donate rice to those who are less fortunate than others. Signing up to the site is optional, but it does allow you to create your own team of people to accumulate even more rice.

For every question you get right, the world food programme will donate 10 grains of rice to help end world hunger.
    The questions start as soon as you land on the site. Questions are pretty easy to answer with options available, but do go up in difficulty the higher your level. The subjects you can choose from are as follows.

HUMANITIES
    Famous Paintings
    Literature

ENGLISH
    English Vocabulary
    English Grammar

MATH
    Multiplication Table
    Basic Math (Pre-Algebra)

CHEMISTRY
    Chemical Symbols (Full List)
    Chemical Symbols (Basic)

LANGUAGE LEARNING
    German
    Spanish
    French
    Italian

GEOGRAPHY
    World Landmarks
    Identify Countries on the Map
    World Capitals
    Flags of the world

SCIENCES
    Human Anatomy

TEST PREPARATION
    SAT®

2. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen this site before but I haven't taken part in it yet. Just curious. How does answering questions generate any kind of income for the site?

3. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    It is possible that bigger corporations sponsor them to do this. There are many companies now that are doing a feed the hungry charity. I like to get the brown and serve sausage and they have been running a promotion where you go to a site and enter the passcode from the box and they donate to feed the hungry.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I surprised this website is still around. I discovered it years ago via StumbleUpon. I spent many hours on that website! It used to be only English vocabulary. I need to visit it again. ;)

5. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    Do they honestly give away 10 grains of rice every time you answer a question? I don't really understand how this works. Why do we need to answer questions? Why not just donate the 10 grains of rice to charity? I have no idea why we have to go through answering questions.

6. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Yes they honestly give 10 grains of rice for every question you answer. To have a site up and claim such things, they would be investigated and to make sure what they claim actually happens. If they didn't, they would be in very deep trouble indeed, outed and shut down faster than you could say "shenanigans"(so would anyone else making false claims to raise food or money for charity)and they certainly wouldn't have been around on the internet since 2007 if it was a bogus site.

The rice is paid for by all of the sponsors you see on the bottom of your screen when you enter a correct answer. The sponsors support both learning (free education for everyone) and reducing hunger (free rice for the hungry). I hope this answers your questions and strengthens your trust in such sites. You can also visit their

page for more answers.

#6Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  7. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    That's how I came about it, on Stumbleupon. Small world isn't it.;) I try to get on there as often as I can, when I have spare time. It doesn't fail to bring a smile to my face knowing I can do something like this for free and actually contribute to making a difference.

8. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this websire before. I'll be checking out the website today. That is very cool that they are doing this. Thanks marvelz for the information! It is good to know that they are ligit and are actually doing what they say they are doing. THAT is extremely rare these days.

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I discovered it about a year ago. I feel that it is legitimate. It is pretty much run by the World Food Programme, which is a United Nations Program. Does not get more reputable than that really. It is mean to be a 'improve your English' for free...and get grains of rice online which is calculated offline in order to feed hungry kids. Celebrities like Drew Barrymore...are representatives and seen on the United Nations site...Free rice is just one such game. There are others...which can be played on Facebook.

10. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I went on the site earlier in the year, and it was great fun. I've been busy, so I haven't been back for a while. This thread has just reminded me that I need to bookmark the site, and make regular visits. Like others, I was very sceptical at first, but as there's no exchange of money, I don't see a problem. Money is short at the moment, so it's good to be able to help those less fortunate without spending anything other than brain power.

11. Brendan

BrendanMember

Threads:
    I learned about this site when I was still in high school. The one day in English class, I think it was, the teacher gave us an entire class period to play around on the site. The person who answered the most questions at the end of the period was given a prize (candy or something like that). It was really a lot of fun!!

12. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    That's an excellent idea to get more people to participate on the site. :)

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I've heard about this for years now. I've done it a few times. I really am not sure if I believe that they donate as much as they do, though. There just doesn't seem to be enough advertising and whatnot to sustain the numbers they claim to donate.

14. Wasabi

WasabiNew Member

Threads:
    Whoa, this site is still around? Last time I've used this site I was a freshman in high school. Now I'm a sophomore in college. It was a fun site to do on our free time. I might consider to try it again sometime today.

15. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure if you sent them an email explaining your concerns, they'd happily provide you with the information. I suppose it all depends on how much they charge for advertisers for the use of their site and who they get the rice from and at what price when ordering in the truck load. For them to be online for as many years as they have been, must give you some clue that they are legit and live upto what they say. Otherwise you'd have read bad reviews of them by now and I don't think you'd ever find one online, anywhere.

16. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    This is amazing, and I REALLY love this idea! It's for a great cause, and it's well worth spending a few minutes on!

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Maybe I should send them an email because I've seen plenty of people voicing the same concern I had. I had seen at one point that it's possible some of their backers are people who donate directly as well, so that might make it a little more likely.

18. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I have just signed up and finished answering 40 questions. All correct, of course.

It wasn't a really tough quiz although some of the right answers - I could figure out which one was right by simple elimination - could have been more accurate. I think I have figured out their business model. The advertisers paid cash for the banner ad. They used the quiz to make sure that each visitor stayed on the page long enough for it to be worth the advertisers' money. I got that part figured out so far. As to whether 10 grains of rice were actually donated for each correct answer, it would require some more research. Maybe I will have to find out more from the World Food Program.

In the meantime, I am going to find out how I can create a similar quiz for my own site. It certainly has a lot of potential as a way to keep visitors on the site. The other thing is to figure out some kind of reward. Maybe virtual currency might work. Has anyone tried anything similar?

19. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Great idea for a site and charity work, I'll definitely have a look around!

20. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Yea, the questions get easier and easier the longer you stay on the site. I think it's a great site to exercise your brain for a few minutes and donate while doing it. I'd like to hear any follow up from you regarding information you're given from the world food program. Maybe you could email them and inquire about how it works, exactly.

Sounds like a good idea to put a similar game up on your site to keep visitors on there. Maybe you could attach a prize to a random answer or display something saying "from 12 till 3 today, 4 prizes of (whatever prize it is) will be released to random people on the game." Just an idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.