2 in 1 laptops

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by bmarks • Jul 23, 2014.

1. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    I have noticed a big trend in the laptop market is the 2 in 1 or hybrid laptop that doubles as a tablet. Many big laptop manufacturers (a notable exception being Apple) have put forth models such as the Lenovo Yoga, HP Flip, and so forth. How practical are these machines really in being BOTH a laptop and tablet as opposed to some awkward middle ground?

2. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I did a lot of research on these products about a year and a half ago, when the only one out was really the yoga. They are an interesting idea, but seem like they are a clunky and expensive alternative to having a tablet. That is likely the reason that Apple has decided to stay out of it - the market doesn't really fit their sleek design ideal, plus they have the most popular tablet on the market. I really liked the idea behind the Asus Taichi at that point.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My brother purchased a touch screen laptop recently, and it does work nicely. I myself don't use the touch screen that much because it's much more comfortable for me to move my hand a few inches and reach the touch pad rather than raise my arm to reach the screen, but it's good to have for a few choice occasions. Also, I find that kids usually are much more comfortable with using the touch screen as controls because they're much more used to using tablets primarily. That, and also touch screen is a bit easier to use with Windows 8.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most two-in-one laptops almost always lean toward the tablet side more than being a full-blown laptop. A couple convertible tablets run Windows 8 for a full laptop experience, but they can get quite expensive. I prefer my laptops, PCs, and tablets to be separate, and I have no use for a touchscreen on my actual work computers.

5. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really think they are worth it. Most of the times they are more expensive and don't have great specs at all. It might be useful for people who want to use the touchscreen a lot but I still think a mouse is more comfortable, so I won't even consider buying a touchscreen laptop. It might be a bit better for the charms menu of Windows 8, but I don't use that anyways so it's nothing I really need.

6. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Any tablet can replace a laptop when dealing with portability alone. However, a laptop is an essential tool in the lives of people who need something that is equipped with better facilities. Not everyone is comfortable with a touch screen.

Choosing between a tablet and a laptop should be based on usage and needs. If you're looking for a portable and powerful equipment, get a laptop. These 2-in-1 devices are not popular for a reason. They are neither one nor the other completely.

It is better to be well defined at this point, chances are you will make the best choice getting a traditional laptop or a regular tablet.

You can add a keyboard to your tablet at a later time if necessary.

#6Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  7. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    They're alright, but not great really. Now, they do fine as a laptop, and they do fine as a tablet, but they are more expensive, and they're not exactly top of the line of either things if you understand what I'm saying?

For the same price, you could easily buy a decent to good laptop, and likewise a decent to good tablet to go with it.