(2017) Recent Disasters At Tourist Spots

Discussion in Travel started by Jason76 • Oct 6, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In 2017, there have been multiple disasters like hurricanes and even a mass shooting at Las Vegas USA. Of course, it's wrong to take advantage of others misfortune for savings, but do you think prices are lower now? Would you feel bad about taking advantage of cheaper prices in such a situation? Is it something shameful? I think it sort of is.

Also, would you feel afraid to visit major tourist spots due to possible terrorism (either of the common type of that of crazy random shooters (as in Vegas))?

2. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    Economy is not some magical computer running in a building on Wall Street in NYC. It's the way the human mind works. I would actually argue there's something poetic about that; in nature, energy always takes the path of least resistance. Electricity flows along the path of tlowest impedence. Objects in motion tend to set at the lowest point. Water moves along the path of least resistence. Humanity, being a unique form of chemistry, mirror this in the way we think. We seek the most economic routs through life without compromising the quality of what we do. These is nothing wrong, or wicked, or selfish about this.

If you find it ethically challenging, consider that the people in these areas have lowered prices willingly. You don't set the price, they did! And, frankly, the people in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico, and Las Vegas really do need our patronage. They need an infusion of money into their economies to tend to the material needs of the people who've gone through our recent tragedies. Your tourism dollars will make a difference, even at a discount.

3. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    There was an appeal I read somewhere asking tourists to visit Bahamas with a view to contributing to their economy. I thought it a good idea.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a trip to Seoul, South Korea in November for a short vacation. Although the tickets are already paid, we are now hesitating to pursue it because of the nuclear testing issue. What if we were there and a war breaks out between North Korea and the US? So if the bickering between Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un continues, we may not go anymore. Safety is paramount so if it is compromised then why go to that place?

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I suppose Las Vegas could get a returning crowd if some weapon detectors are used (at hotels etc..).

This could be an opportunity for some poorer people to finally afford a vacation.

I have a bad feeling Japan won't be safe either. I suppose, though, you could get a refund. Do you have an alternate vacation planned?