64 Gb Sd Memory Costs The Same As 1 Tb External Hdd. Why?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lopezmramon • Jan 30, 2015.

1. lopezmramon

lopezmramonNew Member

Threads:
    If you go to shopping websites or your local stores, you'll find one 64 GB SD memory will cost you roughly the same as a 1 TB hard drive. Many will ask why, and there are possibly many reasons. Production costs, technology involved.

From my own knowledge, it's because SD memory is much faster than Hard drives and they can just fit in your tablet-cellphone-laptop's port and stay in there, nearly invisible for you to use. The space inside them vs the space they occupy.

Do you know any other reasons? I'm curious about this.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. I think they're expensive because they are new technology and are much more efficient than their predecessors. I also understand that they supposedly are built to last way longer as well since it doesn't have the same spinning mechanism as the regular hard rives and therefore would presumably have much less wear and tear.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you talking about SD cards or Solid State Drives? SD Cards are expensive because they're so much smaller than an actual hard drive. SSDs are so expensive because they use flash memory, which costs more money to produce than a spinning drive. There are other factors at play, too, and SSDs aren't going to drop in price that much in the coming months. They're worth the speed boost, though.

4. lopezmramon

lopezmramonNew Member

Threads:
    I was talking about SD cards. They both use Flash Memory. An SSD drive's technology is similar to an SD card's, but of course more advanced and reliable in the long term. You can check Amazon and Ebay and you'll notice the prices for SD cards and External HDDs are similar. It's pretty weird for me, but at the same time it makes some sense. Also yes, a spinning drive is cheaper and slower, also consumes a lot more battery. I think the price on SSD drives will lower in about a year, at least.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Traditional HDD technology is old and cheap to make, that's the whole reason. :)

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Because SD cards can be put in phones and be used conveniently while external drives can't be. Haha! If you'll think about it, you also use SD cards more often (because you use your phone pretty often) as compared to external hard drives. However, I do believe that SD cards are over priced right now. But hey, what can we do? We have no choice.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that if we want to save, we can just buy the lower class of SD card, like a Class 4 or 6 or a lower GB size of a Class 10 SD Card. After all, 64 GB is a lot of data to be placed in a phone that needs to be charged after several hours. You can't really use or look through all of that data with just your phone.

8. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    SDs are much smaller in size, and I guess this factors into cost of production. Hopefully as technology improves we will soon see SDs get larger memory size for much lower costs! Just look at how USB thumbdrives have plummeted in price over the last decade, in my opinion there is little reason why SDs won't follow suit.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    SD card are quite small and need to be able to handle a large amount of data. I believe that having such large amount of data on such a small tool is quite great. I think it is quite useful even though price is very high.

10. lindbergh

Threads:
    True. I've seen these memory cards before. Some of my friends have bought them. Problem is, these memory cards may get corrupted much easily than others. To compensate for that though, you could always use Dropbox and other cloud services to backup what's on your phone.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really? If they are prone to get corrupted more than the others, then would you say that a 32 GB or less size of SD card is safer to buy? The largest that I have is 8 GB, and so far, no problems for me. I don't even switch the card from one device to another, it just stays there.

And how about flash drives that are 32, 64 and 128 in GB size, are they susceptible to get corrupted too, based from what you have observed? Because I intend to buy one of those in the future, so I might as well cancel it if they are prone to get corrupted as well.

12. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, what I'm more surprised about is when a HD with less than a terabyte costs almost the same price as the terabytes one; sometimes, even more expensive than a Seagate 1TB on discount. It really boggles the mind.

But I guess in the HD/SD card storage, it has to do with space, technology and speed of the data, right?

13. Yidna

YidnaNew Member

Threads:
    The storage isn't the only thing you look at when buying a hard drive. The manufacturer/brand and speed are also important factors. Speed is speed, and different manufacturers generally have different lifetimes for their drives. For example, people I know have had bad experiences with Seagate drives, what with them having short lifespans and dying incredibly quickly. One of those people, my uncle, has expressed wonder as to how Seagate is still in business.

14. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Oh. As someone who bought one... I guess because when you research it quickly and just look at reviews, you don't really see bad ones?

Wish I had known this when I was ordering the parts for my build and putting the computer together. *sigh* How long do they last on average, then? I have the system files on a SSD but the actual rest on the TB seagate.

15. Yidna

YidnaNew Member

Threads:
    Here's a failure rate graph taken from:

As you can see, high failure rate occurs with Seagate. Though after a certain amount of time without failing (about a year?) you should be fine.
    blog-fail-drives-manufactureX.

Attached Files:

16. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Oh. The 1TB looks fine though, all things considered. Well, I'm happy about that. Thanks for the graph!

Attached Files:

17. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's because SD cards are more expensive to produce compared to standard HDD's which are basically all over the market and are cheaper to produce.

18. lindbergh

Threads:
    Hmm, I really don't know because I can only speak based on my own experiences. I think it depends on what data you put on the memory card, how large they are, and whether you remove it safely or not from the device. I think SD cards are more prone to being corrupted if you store large files in it with different formats plus a lot of applications .

I'm not too sure about flash drives though.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see, thanks for your input, I don't think I would now consider buying a 64 GB memory card even if their price gets lower just because they are prone to being corrupted. Were you able to use again the SD cards after they got corrupted by reformatting it? Or they became totally useless?

I guess flash drives are better than SD cards, so I think they're the better choice among the 2 for storing data, since the way the are manufactured and how they look are very different form each other. At least the data is stored in a USB device.

20. lindbergh

Threads:
    My SD card for my Sony Ericsson phone got corrupted before due to saving a lot of apps in it (I think). I reformatted it and I was able to use it again but there were a lot of errors. There would be some missing data, apps would not be opened and such.

The SD card for my Note 2 also got corrupted. But unlike the SD card of my Sony Ericsson, it is now unusable because it cannot be detected by any device, even if it is connected to a PC. So again, it depends. :)