7 Money Saving Tips from Martha Stewart

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by True2marie • Dec 6, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Martha Stewart is still the queen of the domestic front. On her Website, she offers up

to readers. Below are seven of them.

• Buy bulk with a friend.
    • Make your own art.
    • Flavor tap water and don't buy bottled water.
    • Swap clothes with friends.
    • Pass on paper towels.
    • Lower your water heater to 120 degrees.
    My favorite on this list is to flavor tap water. I just don't believe in purchasing bottled water anymore especially after finding out that some of it isn't even better than what comes out of the Faucet.

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Totally agree with you! I watched on TV a documentary in which researchers found that bottled water was not what the bottling companies says it is and that many times tap water is way too much pure that the supposed purified water that people buy at ten times the price a bottle of tap water would cost them.

However all of the seven tips above are just great. Wish you could share the link to the full list of 50 tips to read on :)

3. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    Buy bulk with a friend. - check, I do this when buying tennis balls, if you buy a whole case it's much cheaper.
    Make your own art. - sadly I am no artist... :D
    Flavor tap water and don't buy bottled water. - I drink tap water as well as bottled water, tap water doesn't really taste bad where I live.
    Swap clothes with friends. - not a bad idea especially for women. ;)
    Pass on paper towels. - It's very rare for me to use them, I use cloth towels.
    Lower your water heater to 120 degrees. - no way there, I freeze in winter!!!

Thanks for the tips. :)

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I do consider Martha Stewart quite domestic and all that, I'm not sure that money saving and thriftyness really come to mind when I think of her. How interesting that she has so much on her site to that end- thank you for passing that along! The only 2 that I wouldn't use myself are the tap and the water heater- it gets soooo terribly cold here and that would make for an absolutely miserable winter, in my opinion. And the tap is just not the smartest option, though we do purify and then drink, you never really know how pure some bottled water is anyway.

5. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    I'm not sure I agree with the tap water trick. Sure, all things being equal flavoring your water is cheaper. In New York City, the public water system is perhaps one of the cleanest in the world. So yes, it makes sense if you gave a good water supply.

However, if you don't have good drinking water, then this is not really a good idea. It all depends on where you live, and if you live out in the rural country areas you have your own well, so it is not purified by the same large-scale purifiers that the city water plants use. There are a lot of mineral deposits and sediments that are in the drinking water from the tap. And if you live in unsanitary areas, like third-world cities, obviously your water is not clean.

So this is only true if you have a good water supply. If your water supply is bad and then you flavor it, it does not take all the bad stuff away. You are still drinking in the pollutants and unwanted sediments, it's just a different flavor.

6. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    Some of those tips are decent, but there are some on that list that is a instant no no. I mean passing on paper towels and swapping clothes is certainly something I am not into doing. So these tips are not for me personally.

7. FloraFauna

FloraFaunaMember

Threads:
    I definitely do the tap water thing, because I lucky live in an area where the tap water isn't gross. I only drink bottled water at work and they supply that to us for free, so the only time I buy water now is when I'm traveling. I imagine I have saved quite a bit in the last year with that alone.

8. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    These are some great ideas! One concern I have is the buying in bulk category. I've seen a lot of people who like to think they are saving money by buying bulk, but in reality they end up with spoiled or out of date food. While some bulk offers are a good deal, some are not cheaper, while others are. Being able to compare prices in quality and brand is probably a better lesson for most people. I know a few people I've been to the store with that aren't aware of comparison shopping on per ounce prices and couldn't point out the cheaper option to save their life.

Making your own art is an excellent idea. I've done this in the past, including a large 5' by 7' abstract painting that use to hang over my bed. I even made the frame and painted it as well.

And especially this: Pass on paper towels! We don't buy paper towels at all. We have a drawer full of dish rags and hand towels in the kitchen. we can use these over and over again until they fall apart, completely eliminating the need for paper towels.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm an artist and I think people who aren't crafty enough to make their own art should hire their artist friends. I did 4 pieces of custom art for a friend's kitchen and she only paid me a small amount but I was happy with the work and she was happy with the low priced original art, so it worked out for everyone.

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Pass on paper towels? I mean after you've used them? ok.... not sure about that. Bottled water can be expensive but in my area drinking tap water is gross and not sure if flavoring it would help make it better to drink, but if that works for some people than that could be a good idea.

11. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I think what she's suggesting is using cloth towels instead of paper. I have some bar towels to wipe down the kitchen counters, and then I also have some Walmart washcloths (ten for a dollar, if memory serves) for more yucky jobs like cleaning toilets and floors. The yucky washcloths go in a pail in the garage which I wash all together when the pail gets full. I still buy paper towels, but I use them a lot less frequently and they last forever.

If you have good tap water in your area, enjoy it! I just moved from an area where the tap water was less than delicious to an area with good tap water, and I appreciate it so much. A friend of mine lives in an area where the tap water is horrible. It smells like sulfur. I always feel like I need a shower after I take a shower there. One time, I stopped for a Coke at the local McDonald's, and the Coke smelled and tasted of sulfur. Gross! So enjoy that tap water if yours is clean. :D

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think this is also a situation where bartering could've worked well. Maybe she's not crafty, but she gardens or sells this product or that. She could've given you something in exchange for your artwork.