.99 Cent Only stores and groceries

Discussion in Food & Drink started by vagabondmom • Jun 21, 2012.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only edible things I've bought from my local dollar store are canned goods and things in jars, like Spam, mustard, chocolate syrup and jars of marshmallow fluff for 25 cents each. I've also found off brand sports drinks and energy drinks I never heard of for 25 cents each.
    I wouldn't buy meat there, because I have actually seen moldy bacon at a dollar store. But I think the dollar store is fine for condiments and canned goods that can sit around without spoiling.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I always tried to buy my condiments there, like ketchup, mustard, pickles, etc. That's a no brainer, since they're usually $2 - $3 a piece in grocery stores. Some of them around me had freezer sections too, so I would grab some basic stuff from them like frozen fries, or waffles, etc..

3. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    Sounds interesting. Unfortunately we don't have a .99 cent store like that around here. If they did I certainly would be checking it out. Only thing we have is Everything a Dollar store.

4. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I have found that the 99 cent or dollar stores here have limited dry or canned food and most of it is either some odd brand or doesn't look very good. I do buy a lot of cleaning supplies and hard goods at these stores and have been quite satisfied.

5. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    We have dollar stores in my area but they don't sell much food. I think they only have assorted candies and juice boxes. I noticed that the food items often do not actually cost 99 cents. They tend to be two dollars or more which makes no sense as it is the dollar store! Everything I've bought from this store has broken. So, I stopped going there. I just don't trust the quality of their merchandise. So, I probably wouldn't trust their food items.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually get can goods, oatmeal, juice and a few other items from the .99 type stores. I am a little concerned about getting food from the frozen section of the store. I do like to shop in the stores for little things especially snacks.