A controversial topic.

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Denis Hard • Mar 13, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A movie is made to entertain people. Of late however, there have been some stupid developments in the entertainment industry. Because of political pressure studios just have to try to cast everyone into a movie or TV show to make the pseudo-appearance of them being represented.

It beats logic. For example, I, for one, normally watch Chinese and Japanese movies and have never questioned why the entire cast is Chinese or Japanese.

After reading some disgusting articles online today it made me wonder why we're being so 'barbaric?' Should the race [of the actors], at this time in history be something that determines whether we should buy a movie or not?

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not quite sure what you're pinpointing but if a movie is good, I would watch it, regardless of the race of the actors or language that movie is in. If you're pertaining to people not liking movies because actors are of different races, then its just their personal (and quite stupid) preference. I for one sometimes skip foreign movies because I feel like I won't relate to it as much. Maybe its more of a a cultural thing, but as for me, if the movie is good, regardless of race, I would watch it.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The movie industry it's a multi-million dollar one, so I am not surprised of pressures and lobbies. The Oscars themselves are just a huge marketing campaign that aims to set the eyes of in world in Hollywood once per year, I don't even know if the winning movies really deserve it or not to be honest.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    This is especially discouraging when there are a significant quantity of black/Asian actors play parts for scenes in medieval Europe. Never seen something stcik out like a sore thumb quite as much as that. Simply unrealistic and clearly they are put there due to the twisted views of the producers.

5. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    I only concern myself with the appearance of a character if that character already has a preset appearance. Comic book movies are one that easily run afoul of this. I don't care how awesome an actor is, if they don't look like the character they are portraying then that is a bad casting choice. I don't mind it for side characters, but if you 'race-wash' a major character it ruins the movie for me.

6. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    This touches too much on the discriminatory side. I'll watch a movie and give it a chance if it appears interesting regardless of which people of different races is playing the roles. I say as long as the acting is good enough and their portrayal is good enough, all is fine by me. I don't think it's good for Hollywood to be too picky with who they cast. At the end of the day everyone deserves a chance to leave a lasting impression on the industry.