A Couple Of Hoops I Jumped Through To Buy My New Laptop

Discussion in Payment Methods started by S.O. Price • Sep 2, 2015.

1. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Hi,

Most of you have probably heard of

. I never had much luck with them but once in a while I go to their site to check out if there is anything I can do. I happened to notice in their shopping area that they gave Swagbucks if you go through their site to buy discounted giftcards at

. I knew I needed a laptop soon so I bought a few discounted gift cards for

from Raise.com by way of Swagbucks.com. Then I took my electronic gift cards from Raise which I received almost immediately and went to

and got a 3% discount by going through them to Staples.com where I purchased my laptop with my gift cards.

Phew! I saved $18 just from going thru Ebates and I saved about $50 by buying the gift cards from Raise. Not sure how much I'll get back in swagbucks from using them to purchase my gift cards, but all told I knocked off a noticeable amount from the price of my laptop. Staples was having a sale so I'll be getting a $50 rebate from them as well. :)

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a good deal. I love Ebates, and rebates are great. I especially like online or e-rebates, since sometimes there are issues with the paper kind, although the last time I mailed rebate coupons off, I didn't experience any difficulty. I have signed up with Swagbucks, but wasn't aware about the ability to purchase discount gift cards through them. I'll have to take another look. Congratulations on getting a great deal, I hope the laptop works out for you!

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It sounds as though you have been able to get your laptop quite cheaply thanks to the tricks you have made the most of, so well done indeed for that. I am hoping to get a new laptop soon, and I think that I will need to be considering some similar tricks, because I know that I don't have enough money to just go ahead and buy it at this moment in time. I know that I will need one in the next year, because the battery life on this isn't great anymore, which is a shame really.

4. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I think the best time to buy a new computer is around Christmastime and in August for back-to-school. That's something else to keep in mind. If you can find one on sale and order it online as part of Christmas deal, plus some discounted gift cards at raise, ebates.com, etc. whoo-hoo, you've got yourself a deal!

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @GemmaRowlands@GemmaRowlands Another thing to consider is checking into the price of a replacement battery. I was having an issue where my laptop wouldn't power on, and I wasn't sure if the issue was the power adapter or the battery. I looked around, and found that the cost of an adapter was significantly less than the cost of a replacement battery, so I purchased one. It turned out that both were actually bad, since it now powers up and works when plugged in, but the battery won't charge up. Since it's an old laptop, I just use it the way it is, plugged in, rather than spending another $50 or so for a replacement battery.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Very smart of you kudos! S.O. Price. I kind of lost interest in Swagbucks, although I was wearing a swagbucks t shirt the other day I must confess. I got that when I was still active on the site. However, recently, I was contacted by them for a 300 point survey, which gave me a chance to cash out. I am going to have to remember your story the next time I buy something. I just bought toner cartrides from Staples and got a 3 percent rebate, but I may have saved even more going through swagbucks and raise...I will have to check out raise.com.