A Good Reason To Buy Tupperware

Discussion in Product Reviews started by mythman • Mar 16, 2015.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    The last couple apartment-complexes I lived-in had frequent bug problems. Of course, I'm swift to blame other tenants (who for-the-most-part were University-students and/or 9-to-5-ers) who only used their places to sleep & party and went out every day (while I was still in the apartment, sitting there basically 'being a blood-buffet to the little vampires' (while I was sitting at the computer or watching TV or eating or sleeping etc.)), but I'm also sure I played at-least a small role in bringing in the bugs---another thing that sucks about living alone: there's nobody else to blame!

One of the ways I brought them in: I had (and still have) no car, and so had to walk everywhere I went. On occasion, I would buy take-out from a fast-food restaurant; and before today, I never thought about it---walking home with 'open' food is a 'Pied Piper of Hamlin' to the insects ("The Pied Piper of Hamlin" was a story about a pipe-player that got all the vermin in Hamlin to follow him out of town as he played).

So I bought some 'Tupperware' today (not that brand-name, but the same type of product---a plastic container with an air-tight lid)---allowing me to bring home food from the fast-food places remaining relatively 'sterilized!'

2. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I have several items of Tupperware which I use constantly. Two of my all time favourites are a steamer which cooks rice and veg to perfection in the microwave and a horizontal cheese grater that has a container attached. Although I don't have your problems with bugs as I live in the UK I share your admiration of Tupperware.
    The Tupperware parties are long gone in my part of the world but their products live on eternally.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Certain brands of plastic containers will leech harmful chemicals into foods and liquids, so you have to be careful there. If there's ever a risk for bugs getting into food, then plastic storage containers are always a great option. You can spend a few bucks and get 5 to 10 containers that can be used for months before they require replacing.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree it really is good to invest in good storage wares. I myself always keep stocked on plastic containers and plastic bags so that I could always just keep my leftovers without much worry of contamination or attracting insects. Even though it ends up being an added expense to me to buy plastic containers and bags, I just consider it an investment so I don't end up having to pay for extermination or hospital bills due to poor storage of food.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still miss my favorite piece of Tupperware. Occasionally, I'll search around to see if i can find it anywhere, and I'm about at the point where it's time to search again. It was old school Tupperware, nice and thick and substantial, unlike some of the newer pieces. It got absolutely ruined while I was evacuated for an extended period of time, so I had to throw it out, but I will someday replace it.

6. Heather_Rose

Heather_RoseNew Member

Threads:
    If you're concerned about putting hot items in plastic, there are several brands out there of glassware or pyrex with tupperware-style lids. I use one daily for my lunch. It keeps my food safe and fresh, and the pyrex doesn't pick up weird smells from the staff fridge the way my old plastic containers did. The lid is still plastic, but it isn't in direct contact with my food, so I'm not worried about anything leeching into my meals.

7. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I have used tupperware and think they are really good. I tend to freeze meals in them to take to work with me, its much easier than cooking a big meal every day!

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to keep my leftover food in a plastic container to keep it fresh. Sometimes you bring the bugs into your home from the grocery store. I have seen the bugs in the store on the shelves. The bugs can hide in the brown bags you bring into the house also. It is hard to know how you get the bugs in your house, I saw a bug walk from the house next door across the driveway to our house, of course that was the last thing it did, when it got to my house it was all over. Once I tried to purchase an ironing board from a 2nd hand store, it was full of bugs. Keepingyour food covered is a wise decision.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Tupperware is indeed better quality than other container brands. But to me the price is not justifiable. It is too expensive! Trust me, you can find more affordable containers from other brands that close up just as well! The plastic might not be as sturdy and high quality (granted), but at least you won't be spending a fortune...

10. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I used to wonder why people would go so crazy about Tupperware until all my containers began to break and fall apart. Tupperware is something that I swear by now and would not recommend anything ELSE. It is strong, durable and lasts forever so it is a good investment.

11. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I like using them for storing herbs and spices, however if something is particularly hygroscopic or just takes weirdly to the plastic I use mason jars.

12. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I would be embarrassed to bring my Tupperware to a restaurant in order to take home leftovers haha. I would recommend glass Pyrex over plastic though, mostly due to chemicals. The actual brand Tupperware, though, has one advantage- lifetime guarantee. I recently got new lids (for free) for a set of bowls that my GRANDMA handed down to me. The colors are super outdated, but they work perfectly (and now I have brand new lids that fit great).

13. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I forgot about the guarantee! I have just recently thrown away a few lids and then decided to throw the containers because they had no lids, when I could have got some new ones!! I also don't keep pasta or anything that can stain the plastic in it as it is so difficult to get the stains out. Usually also jars which helps with finding what's inside.

14. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Tupperware changed my life. That kind of sounds weird to say, but it let me cook in bulk and always have a meal ready to go. One of the problems I've always had with my diet is that after a long day at work, I'd get lazy and not want to cook. So I'd just go out to eat, which isn't healthy for both my budget and my weight. I bought a 10-piece tupperware set and just started making several meals every time I cook. So instead of cooking 7 times a week, I cook 3-4 times a week. I also really enjoy how fresh it keeps the food and makes it last longer.

15. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I just purchased some tupperware that are BPA free. BPA is a toxic chemical that some plastic containers have. It is important to check if your tupperwares are BPA free as it can harm your health.

I am fond of using tupperwares too! Most of the time to store leftover food like fruits or meals. This way. The fridge would not smell like a mixture of different foods. And it is eco-friendly as it is reusable.

16. hosewalker

hosewalkerMember

Threads:
    That a good idea!. Its still a bit annoying that you have to use Tupperware in the first place though. I usually use Tupperware to keep food fresh and clean but that is also a very good use. I've been looking for some good quality, cheap and non-branded Tupperware for some time, Amazon seems like the best option to me.

17. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I started investing in Tupperware years ago when my sons were tots. I still have some of those today. I'm not really liking Tupperware's new look or prices and often find Tupperware at estate sales or estate auctions for a fraction of the cost.

18. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whilst I do agree that plastic food storage boxes are invaluable, I just cannot bring myself to pay the prices that Tupperware charge. Whilst I'm sure the quality is second-to-none, there are an abundance of similar containers in the discount stores. All of my food storage boxes go the same way anyhow - they end up stained with tomato sauce and lose their lids. I might as well just stick with the cheap ones.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recommend getting a set of Rubbermaid food containers with Easy Find lids because all of the lids fit all of the containers in the set and you can snap all the pieces in the set together so that nothing gets lost.
    You can even snap the lids to the bottom of the containers, so they don't get lost while you're serving or eating.

20. GeeCee

GeeCeeMember

Threads:
    I love Rubbermaid products, and I wished I had more of them. I wasn't even aware about the Easy Find lids. I'll have to look more into that particular thing, Lord knows we use enough storage around here to warrant getting a few of those! :)