A Good Substitute For Shave Gel

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by cluckeyo • Jul 10, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Shave gel can be pretty expensive. I was curious about all kinds of alternatives to expensive brand name items that we buy, so I did some online research. One of these items was a good substitute for shave gel. Among other ideas, the best solution turned out to be glycerin bar soap. It might be hard to find in a walk-in store but I found several to choose from at Walmart.com. Very inexpensive, 6 bars cost me less than $3.00. And indeed, it is a perfect replacement for shave gel. It provides a slippery medium that the razor glides across with ease, and smells wonderful! I will never buy shave gel again!

2. Saundra Jackson

Saundra JacksonMember

Threads:
    I don't use shaving gel! Your regular shower gel does exactly the same work, also the sell is amazing (at least mine) :p

3. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well when it comes to shaving gel or cream, it is another area where I just go ahead and get the cheapest stuff I can find, it is just white cream after all. The gel is actually a lot nicer, but usually more expensive, which is unfortunate. That said, the cheap foams are pretty bad, though, so this might be a good way to keep saving the money and maybe get a better shave. Thanks for sharing.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    In addition to the great tip already given - another super cheap and very effective alternative to commercially made shaving gels - is the centuries old method - which is to this day still extremely popular where I live - of using

Olive or Argan Oil - as not only is it a perfect lubricant for those with sensitive skin - but it gives a cleaner closer shave altogether.

Oh and if you don't have either of the above - honey works pretty well too.

5. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I was going to mention the same thing, but I use a cheaper brand than that from the dollar store. I get 12 bars for $2 dollars, and it works just fine. I remember when I bought the shaving cream for my face for the first time. I didn't like how thick it went on, and I couldn't see where I was shaving.

I use cheap soap, and that's enough to make my face slippery, and it's super cheap. I don't need to buy anything with additional chemicals anymore. I can just use what I would clean my body with anyway. Soap is a good alternative, and the best for me.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought only men invested in expensive shaving stuff LOL Like Saundra Jackson, I just use my regular shower gel and shave while I shower, and it works brilliantly. I certainly have no complaints there, and wouldn't buy a separate product just for shaving. Once I'm done shaving, I just apply a thin layer of organic Aloe Vera gel and I'm good to go :)

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There is another great alternative that one can use. It involves mixing the cheap old methylated spirit with milk which would not go bad because methylated spirit is a preservative as well as a sterilising agent. You can put in a dash of cooking oil to make it have a fuller body and give it a better gliding quality.

8. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    My dad on the other hand has been using any kind of regular soap such as Safeguard as an alternative to shaving cream. He just makes sure that he creates a rich foamy lather on the part of his face that he will shave. I too has always been using my regular bath soap whenever I shave so I don't really spend anything on shaving gels. :)

9. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure about using it as a substitute for face shaving cream, however coconut oil works great as a substitute for coconut oil on your legs. It creates such a smooth shave and it moisturizes you legs as you do it. The only issue is that it can make the tub very slippery at times so be careful.