A Penny saved is a Penny earned

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Zyni • Oct 27, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you agree with this statement? I do. I know there are times when I definitely earn every penny I save. I am tempted to set aside a can and put the amount of money I save on various things inside the can to see how much I "earn" over a month, or six months, or so. I could just write it down and add it up, I guess, but I think having the actual money in hand would feel more satisfying.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A penny doesn't go as far as it used to. In my day you could get 4 sweets or candy chews for a penny. I think if you saved dimes or in the UK 5p then they would mount up. I used to save my dimes and ended up with several dollars worth and that did seem worth while. Go for the dime instead.

3. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I use to focus on saving a lot of pennies, but I've switched over to saving nickels, dimes and quarters because they add up much faster than a single, 1-cent penny. The cost of living is getting higher and I want to be able to rely on something much higher in value in case of anything, I'll probably start saving loonies and toonies next.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Partly. Be it a penny or a slightly higher denomination, when you toss the coin into your coin-jar and forget about it, when after some time you want to spend your cash and empty the coin-jar wouldn't it be like getting paid for the hard work done saving the cash?

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, definitely. I think the meat of this statement lies not in the amount saved which is a penny but more just a lesson on how we should look at even the smallest of denominations. I think this was said because some people tend to look down on pennies and to consider them almost useless, when in fact they are the foundation of all higher denominations and thus should be given just as much respect if not more.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I do. I tend to be impulsive when it comes to buying things, so I really try to save money through my piggy bank as much as possible. I really get surprised when at the end of the year, I get a lot of money by opening my piggy bank. :D

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it has anything to do with a penny, but more a statement about how saving money equates to having earned it. I'm not talking about literally setting aside pennies, but more about actively saving money where you can. I think the effort involved in saving money, by getting good deals or putting aside it, is in a sense earning it. It's a very old saying, but it still makes sense to me.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think saving money, how little it may be, definitely adds up over time, so I agree with that statement. I just have trouble saving money nowadays, since I tend to buy things I don't need so that I can get a temporary "high".