A Shopping List For Saving Purpose?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Ray1 • Apr 13, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was just wondering how do you save on your food budgets? For us we keep a paper pad and pencil in the kitchen all the items for shopping list.

And when we go out for shopping add this list to our shopping lists that we need. We make sure that we only buy which is already on the list.

This works for us as we do not buy anything unnecessary and keeps us within our budget. My question is do you make any such list?

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I list all the stuff that I want to buy on my phone's drafts so that I won't forget any item, but your suggestion is quite effective if people want to save money, since if you stray from the list of items, you would be fully aware that you would be purchasing something unnecessary, as compared to not having a list and just getting the items as you see them. I think our phone can suffice when it comes to making lists though, and no paper is pen is really needed, so ditch them, lol.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are so right about taking lists with you when shopping. Sometimes you see things you need and get it at the same time when you go shopping for just 2 things, thus you spend more than you anticipated for the time. If you are lucky enough to stay with your list and not stray and get anything else you would save lots of money. Can you stay on the list only, that is a different question, lol.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe I agree you cannot stay at the list all the time but that at least helps you give an idea what is necessary for your household. If you have a limited budget in that case you will buy the necessary items first before buying other things which you can postpone for some other time.

#4Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am the boss in our home’s kitchen and I also handle the listing of what to buy for our food. My habit is to use my phone for my list especially for groceries like if we need to buy ketchup or cooking oil. And for the ingredients to the dishes, I always make an estimate of the amount of ingredients like how many chicken drumsticks, how many broccoli, things like that. So aside from the list of ingredients, I also list down the exact amount I need. Sometimes I quarrel with my wife when she buys more than what I had listed because for sure, that extra carrot will just add to the leftover. That’s how economical I am in our kitchen.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy Great, but to be frank I am not the boss in my household matters but I have to assist my wife :) I just add to the list kept especially for the purpose on cook-top in case I see something my favorite missing from the list but most of the listing in kitchen is done by my wife. And when it comes to sticking to the list while shopping she is really strict at that.

#6Apr 17, 2017
  7. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes use a list. Most times I mentally note what I have to buy but its easy to forget and miss on an item or stray away from the list and buy what's new in the market.

I have to keep a notebook and a pen from now on as from next month I need to watch out on my spending.

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania This is what had happened to us. My wife and I are impulsive buyer. We have already something in our mind to buy when we go to the market or mall. But when we happen to find some items being promoted with a very low, low prices, we are always tempted to buy them. In fact, they are not in our shopping list. So, you know what happened? We're running out of our budget.

Now, we learn a practical lesson on impulsive buying. We're reminded of a line from the Christmas Song, "People making list, buying..." This has proved very effective. We have been greatly helped. And of course, we have save a lot of money. We use the money effectively for our needs and not wants.

#8Apr 17, 2017
  9. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, good for you guys that you are now managing your money better. Not all offers or discounts need to be brought right then and there. If you won't be able to use them for quite some time and they will just get stuck in the cabinet then I definitely think that's money wasted.

10. melissa1024

melissa1024New Member

Threads:
    I keep a pen and notepad in the kitchen. When I am low or out of an item I write it down. I only get items on my list when I go to the store. I also try to get the items I need on sale or use coupons for them..

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    It is a prudent practice to keep a list and stick to it. If you're an impulse buyer, this can help you curb unplanned spending. I have a list of stuff that we need to buy on a spreadsheet and I simply print it on a monthly basis after making necessary adjustments to the list. I don't really have time to list down our purchases on a monthly basis so I've opted to list them one time and simply review them each month for changes. It's quite easy because there are only three people in my household and our needs are often predictable.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This is one of the first real lessons that I think a child should learn when it comes to shopping and maintaining a house. It is so so simple but it really does make a huge difference, especially if you have my genes.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille We are only two and blame each other when something is missing when we really need it LOL so we have decided to note down everything that we must buy when we go out on our weekly shopping. That is another benefit that saves us from quarreling with each other besides saving money on useless items.

#13Apr 19, 2017