A Trick To Using The Walmart "savings Catcher"

Discussion in Food & Drink started by mythman • Mar 10, 2016.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Walmart's "Savings Catcher" (in case you don't already know) is

(found on your receipt) and Walmart-staff matches the things you bought with things advertised elsewhere in the area, giving you any money you would've saved by shopping the other place instead.

Something they don't tell you (maybe because it's obvious) is that you're more likely to get 'Savings Catcher'-savings if you buy 'name-brand products' (on which shop-owners are more-likely advertise sales) rather than the store-brand.

Today--for instance--I got ninety-something cents back on some Breyer's ice-cream. Now, I'm sure I could've saved 50-70 cents by buying Walmart's "Great Value"-brand ice-cream; but I obviously wouldn't have gotten any refund for it (it's Walmart's brand! they'd have changed the price-tag if Walmart sold it cheaper locally!)

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I haven't tried to use the SavingsCatcher app yet, but one thing that concerns me, is that they give you the money back supposedly if you are in a certain area from the Walmart store. you shop in.The store I want to compare the savings with is a distance aways from Walmart so not sure if Walmart would find that acceptable to use in the program. I will try it and see.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not shop much at Walmart even though it is close to me. I just do not like it and do not like going there. But I do go there sometimes just because certain things are cheaper there. I have used the savings catcher app and have saved $2.08 so I am happy about that. I figure as long as I go once in a while I might as well try to save with it.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've not used the saving's catcher at Walmart on Oahu yet. I love the prices at Walmart, but I find it's best to shop around for the best prices to get for your grocery shopping. Thanks for the tip though!

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter does the grocery shopping so I will have to tell her about the ability to maybe get some savings when she has done the family shopping.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to use Savings Catcher, and made a decent amount of money using it last year. At one point, they were giving double points, which really helped the total amount add up quickly, and incentivized a lot of people to join. Towards the end of when I was using it, they had cut back significantly on which products they were price-matching, and also which stores they were comparing prices with, so much so that I would end up getting back a few cents, or nothing. The last few times I used it, none of my items qualified, so to me, it's basically a waste of time.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've redeemed $55 so far from the Walmart Savings Catcher program and, yes it was for brand name items, which is why it wasn't a higher amount. I buy a lot of the Walmart Great Value products but if I have to buy the brand name version of a product because an alternative is worse or not available, it's nice to know that I'll possibly get some Savings Catcher credit for it.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I just started using this about a week ago, and so far I got 96 cents back on my first scanned receipt. The problem I am running into now though is when I try to redeem it, I keep getting an error message telling me to try again in an hour. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there some sort of minimum you need to reach, like $1 or $5 or so before you can redeem your savings?

Also, I hadn't been to Wal-Mart in a while, but has anyone else noticed that many of their "Great Value" brand products have seemed to gone up in price? Even their store brand pizza for example costs more than some of the name brand frozen pizza's beside them in the freezer.

9. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    It sure would be nice if Wal-Mart's Saving Catcher app worked with generic brands. Haha! But, they're only sold buy Wal-Mart... So, no one is going to have then cheaper if they're the only store that sells it.

Too bad, you can't compare store brands on the app! That'd be nice! Hell, it'd be nice you could price match store brands at Wal-Mart.