A Very Simple Question- How To Save Money On Grocery?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Ray1 • May 14, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was just wondering if there is a way to save money on groceries! And if you think there is, then how do you save money on groceries? I generally bu in bulk but you must have some other ways that you would like to share with us!

2. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Basically doing research in various markets and supermarkets and opting only for buying what is on sale. This "technique" always works with me because I'm not a person that makes a point of buying only branded things / foods.

I only buy what I really need.

3. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Buying in bulk is a great way to save money on groceries. The problem is that you need to check the shelf life of the item that you are buying. You need to consider if it is worth the expense. It costs more to buy in bulk but it is cheaper in the long run.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Though your question sounds simple but the answer is not as simple as it should be for it is too subjective. It is based on the initiative and determination of every buyer on what to do. It may be too simple for others to save more while doing some groceries in the mall, but others find it to complicated to do it.

This is because of the location everyone has. You may be living in a country where groceries are often sold in discount or in promotional scheme. Therefore, those prices are very affordable. While others who live in a highly urbanized city, it is impossible for them to save more as compared to those in underdeveloped countries or cities.

Anyway, the simple answer to the question is to make a list of those groceries you are going to buy and make a canvas of all those things for their low prices. In that case, saving is well guaranteed.

5. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Saving on groceries is pretty simple. When we are at the supermarket, we look at the range of available groceries, and we shop the cheaper ones, it's as simple as it gets! In some more expensive products we are paying for the brand, but in reality I just want the product, so I go for the cheaper version. ;)

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Nakitakona@Nakitakona I agree with you, it's easy to save for the ones who live in underdeveloped or smaller cities but to be very frank I live in one of the most expensive cities of the world Sydney ranked 2 in the world but we have found different ways to save on groceries like we go to stores offering discount (we keep a close watch on flyers etc). WE also keep a close watch on shelves and promotional in stores and then we have certain stores apart from big departmental stores which offer discounts and freebies on our regular items.

#6May 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017
  7. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Even though it's almost impossible to save a significant amount of money without using cashback websites or apps, you can still save up a bit for something else, by either waiting for discounts or offers such 2 for 1 and so on.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Zero@Zero I agree with you that it's not possible while shopping online to take full advantage of promotional that available in offline stores. But if you keep a track on offline stores then you will see that a number of options are available to you like wholesale stoes, discount offers, bulk buying etc.

9. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Grocery is something where you cannot cut down on consumption to save money. So, the only option of saving is to look for good deals.

These days, online deals are no less than offline. To popularize the platform, many e-sites offer lucrative deals. I try to make the most out of them. But, I avoid buying in bulk as the money what is saved get wasted if the groceries could not be used on time.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Australia? I don't know much about stores in Australia nor about the sales they might have. A little research and it just isn't anything that pops for sales on grocery, pitiful you! Here in Hawaii we have weekly sales from supermarkets as big as Safeway a national store, local ones like Times Supermarket or Foodland with Safeway has weekly sales on almost every grocer items. CVS Drug Store and Walgreens has some groceries weekly sales too. Then we have membership stores, like Marukai Wholesale Mart with their weekly sales they mail us a mini catalog like brochure which has a month of sales in it. Other membership stores like Costco and Sam's Club, that I've not joined has sales too. Then there's Walmart which has cheaper prices period so when you need staples like frozen tater tots which goes for 2.74 for 2 pounds, which is the cheapest I found on island so far, unless Times has their Western Family 2 pound tater tots for 2/$5. Australia, has

that I found online for you. Sad thing is that it's the only one I found online-prices looks good, but quality is unknown. Safeway is now Woolworth at Australia with sales too:

. These 2 grocery stores are online with sales-sales is the best way to buy. I haven't found if they got weekly sales like they have in Hawaii, but sales are sales to save money on food. I hope they are near you. Locally Safeway stores has a free store card and you get even more bargains when you use your card. Don't know how it is in Australia, but that's the way it is here in Hawaii. I don't know if you have to order online only at Woolworth. I like to go down the aisles and pick my own groceries. I love sales for you can get what you need on cheaper prices and rack up savings. Good luck!

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I allocate my grocery purchases to 3 to more stores depending on which store offers the lowest prices or best promos for the items without sacrificing quality. This isn't hard to do in my case because these stores are within one or two blocks/buildings of each other, I find it necessary to do this because stuff like garbage bags can cost double the price of the other store. Some shampoo brands can have free 12 pieces sachet in one store and none in other stores. Some stores carry the brand I prefer for soy sauce or fish sauce while some stores don't. I've been doing this over the years and saving a lot of money form the extra effort I put in each month to buy grocery items.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe Oh yes I agree with you we have number of supermarkets like Coles, Aldi, Woolworth and so many other such stores which offer products on reduced rates from time to time offline as well online but I had probably my native country India in my mind while talking about discount on online grocery shopping which is not very common in more than 85% cities and 100% rural areas. But you will be surprised to note that we have access to wholesale markets where we get grocery for up to 25 cheaper than regular stores.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside from taking advantage of the promo, don't forget to buy only what you need. Sometimes you would be tempted to buy a bundle because of the discount. And when you reach home, you will realize that you have bought an excess. I am talking through my experience because my wife has that bad habit of grabbing goods that are on sale. You can guess what happened next.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 :)That's fantastic for we all need a brake when it comes to buying especially buying food. Life can get so expensive with needs and wants that when we can get prices we can live with it's wonderful! I thought the post was about grocery markets for Australia, opps!
    :rolleyes:I'm so glad we all can get good prices and save lots of money wherever we live.

#14May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017