AA Batteries - how to check if they still work

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by missbishi • Jan 2, 2015.

1. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read this amazing trick recently and thought I'd share....Hold The AA battery over a hard surface (one that you won’t worry about scratching) about 2″ up, and drop the negative flat side unto the surface. The battery will either make a “thud” sound when it hits the ground and may even stay standing up or it will “bounce” and fall over. The batteries that thud still have some power. The ones that bounce are useless.

It really does work too! I used to rely on putting the battery I wanted to check into a flashlight I have that takes just a single AA. This is much easier!

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't you have the small risk of damaging the battery, though? Then again, 2 inches isn't much, and that's a nifty little trick if it works. I'll have to try it out. It's not like a AA battery really costs that much. I just stick batteries in some random remote or flashlight to see if they work. If they don't, then I'll chuck them in the recycle bin (one for batteries, of course!).

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I recently also found out about this and I think it's a very handy tip. I don't think it damages the batteries at that height and also as you've stated, it's much easier to do it than having to put it into hardware just to find out if it still works. I used to do this for my batteries as well but now I'm just going to drop them to find out how much content is still inside.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nice tip, thanks for sharing! I used to buy lots of AA batteries before, and the latest battery that I bought was a rechargeable one. I think you can save money that way.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Does it work on any surface? I would think that wood/ceramic/metal surfaces may work differently. Thanks for sharing this tip anyway!

6. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    I've never heard of that trick I should try it sometime, usually I just stick it in a flashlight that simple enough, I think you can taste it to the see if it still has power just the tip of it with your tongue, I think there is a weird taste to it If it still has power, I'm not sure that's a good idea though there might be some adverse reaction after doing that.

7. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The way I find out if my batteries don't work anymore. Is to basically constantly use them until I can no longer utilize them for anything. I think dropping them and all that stuff isn't really needed.