About 145 days till Christmas.

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by ssamcd • Aug 1, 2012.

1. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    Today is August 1st, we are more than half way through the year. 2013 is not far away. Does anyone start thinking of the holidays after the kids go back to school? I do not buy that many gifts anymore because of our financial situation but when my kids were little I use to start thinking of gifts for all my different family members and start my Christmas account depositing into a little each week. Does anyone still do that?:)

2. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't but this time of the year I do start thinking of getting my body bikini ready for the summer holidays in December. :) It seems that I will have to spring into action without delay seeing as there is so little time left!

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never do any Christmas shopping early. In my family, we only buy gifts for the kids. I always wait until December to start buying gifts. Years ago, when I worked in a department store, I would buy my gifts early. I would watch for sales and grab the best bargains.

4. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    I always start shopping the beginning of January. This isn't just for Christmas gifts, though, but all gift-giving occasions throughout the year. I just make sure that it isn't an obvious Christmas item. Often you'll find perfumes and other toiletry sets, hair care sets, jewelry items, and toys marked half price or better so the stores can clear out and make way for spring merchandise. All of these work nicely for birthdays, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and other occasions. Stocking stuffer items are usually clearanced really low by the middle of January and I stock up on any that won't go bad.

I do the same thing with clearance sales throughout the year, but especially after any major holidays. A lot of Valentine's Day merchandise can work for Mother's Day or birthdays. Easter clearance can be awesome for toys, too.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I thought I was strange for already thinking about it! Good to know I am not alone. I have started trying to save up gift cards so that when Christmas comes around I already have my set budget.

6. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I have started and I do most of my shopping on line. My family has a tradition where we pull a name for a gift to buy and everyone else gets a handmade gift. It has turned out to be quite the competition and Christmas day is a hoot!

I haven't had a christmas club in years, I miss it. Getting a lump sum of money at once to go shopping. What could be better?

Now decorating that's a different story, haven't started yet, but plans are under way. I spend weeks decorating, that's my favorite part of the holiday.

7. KIR

KIRNew Member

Threads:
    Christmas Gifts

Christmas Gifts [/url]

Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u.:)

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Ugh! Don't tell me that now, lol. I'm no where near ready for the holidays yet and to think about Christmas coming up means that I'm forced to think about all the other birthdays and holidays in between now and then, too. No thanks. I'll continue being oblivious instead. :p

9. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    This is enough to give me high blood pressure!! :/ I am the worse Christmas shopper.....ever and I spend much of the year in denial! I am okay buying gifts for the kids, I start that in September but then they write lists so it is easier! It is having to buy things for the adults in my life that really stresses me out....especially my sister who is the fussiest person in the world.

10. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I always try to buy gifts a little early just to keep out of the rush at christmas time. I keep money back to buy things in the sales after christmas as well.

11. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    The count down begins....Ugh! Every year I think I will do better than last year and it always turns out the same way, last minute Christmas shopping. This year I am really hoping to do better. I guess I had better get started on it now!

12. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy Xmas gifts at all because I don't have small ones any more so I just give a gift card so they can buy any thing they want to buy and it cuts down on the crowds and I can perhaps go to a local coffee shop and have some hot cocoa or go to a bar and have a Xmas drink with the other people that are out having fun.