About Mountain Dew...did You Know?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by MrsJones • Apr 25, 2015.

1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    One time I had to move out of my apartment quickly. Other than a certain individual moving on with no notice, I don't remember the exact circumstances. But I do remember the moving process. Woke up and ordered Pizza hut and got a 2 liter of MD.

In 12 hours I'd packed up my apartment, left for good and never looked back. That was also the last time I had mountain dew or pizza hut. These days, the thought makes me nauseous and this was more than 20 years ago.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the information. I didn't know that Mountain Dew has more caffein so maybe it is also one reason why my sister advised me against drinking Mountain Dew. We have lemon trees around the house and they normally have fruits all the time. What I do is use the lemon to lace the drinking water so it will perk up the taste. And yes, I am now shying away from soda since it is what makes my stomach bulge.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I've only ever had Mountain Dew once and didn't like the taste of it, which I'm now grateful for LOL Having read all the comments here, it just fills you with horror! I'm not a huge drinker of fizzy drinks anyway, and I'm glad that Mountain Dew is far down the list of drink I'd ever opt for. Thanks for the heads up :)

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the taste of Mountain Dew better than Sprite, but I never really bought it when I feel like drinking soda and I have always opted for Rootbeer. So now that info is another reason not to consume Mountain Dew! Thank you for sharing!

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty sure if you separated each ingredient of any soda into it's own cup, nobody would drink them. Mix them all together though and most people don't think twice. Or they believe in the whole "moderation" thing. That goes for most highly processed foods though. We wouldn't have an obesity problem if everyone actually saw what they were eating and drinking.

6. Malarie

MalarieNew Member

Threads:
    I didn't know about this, but it really doesn't surprise me. Mountain Dew is too sweet for my taste, and this just makes it more gross, in my opinion.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not necessarily concerned about there being vegetable oil in drinks, but from what I've read about brominated vegetable oil, which is oil combined with bromine to help prevent it from floating to the top of the beverage, I'm rather surprised at how little of it it takes to start having adverse effects on a person.

As far as oil in general goes, it's in coffee and teas already and most people don't seem to object to that. At work, we've brewed coffee so strong you could literally see small globules of the coffee bean oil floating at the top, lol. Similarly, when you pour creamer into it, you're of course adding fat to your drink.

But with regards to bromine, some of the articles I read described people having adverse effects after drinking a few two liters of soda in a given day on a regular basis. That's not very hard to do if you are a regular soda drinker. When I used to drink it, I would have a couple glasses with lunch and a couple glasses with dinner, then perhaps a few throughout the evening. I could go through a two liter in one day easily. These people were going to the hospital after drinking a couple of two liters a day of the stuff - which is a lot, but also not that hard to hit, if you like to keep a large pitcher of soda at your desk while working.

8. Vicenta

VicentaMember

Threads:

Wow, I never knew that. Well if it isn't harmful I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it doesn't make you sick or anything like that guess i don't mind it. But I don't normally drink a lot of mountain dew my aunt and husband do so i'll let them know about this but i'm sure they will continue to drink it. Lol

9. Faye1232212

Faye1232212New Member

Threads:
    Wow. I didn't know that Mountain Dew contained that. An ex of mine was literally addicted to Mountain Dew for years and probably still is.

Yellow 5 dye which is in Mountain Dew had been said to contain pork. I ferment being in the military and a guy who was Muslim who I tried to give a Mountain Dew to, scoffed at me and told be this surprising information. he also stated that skittles contain the same thing.

It's mind boggling how much crap is in our food that we don't even realize is there. Kind of scary!!

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Good to know about Mountain Dew soda news you brought to the forum! I just checked a list of other soda containing bromated vegetable oil:

and 7UP isn't on the list. I drink diet 7UP and like it! Too bad some of the replies is from 2011 and 2012 though for the list page! Thanks for the tip-learned something today. Thanks!!!

11. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a person who obsesses over eating or drinking healthy. I think there's a time and a place for everything. Eating healthy everyday gets a bit old, so I think it's important to cheat every now and then. I enjoy Mountain Dew. That being said, I don't drink it as often as I'd like because it makes me jittery and it's not healthy, obviously. I doubt the citrus flavoring is going to cause a lot of problems for people, physically.

12. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do need to cut back but I believe it really would to do it all the time. It'd be like trying to work all day every day. You should do good by your body but at the same time many people need that treat every now and then. This is especially true if you travel. There are new dishes to try and they are not always healthy. How can you say you've explored the whole culture if you don't eat something from there?

13. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I didn't knpw this particular fact, but I do know sodas in general are not good if you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I've stopped drinking them for the most part because of this. The only time I drink soda is when I'm at a friend's house and don't want to be rude by declining when they offer me some.