About Mountain Dew...did You Know?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by MrsJones • Apr 25, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My neighbor just today shared with me a fact about Mountain Dew and other citrus flavored products.

Mountain Dew products contain bromated vegetable oil. Bromated vegetable oil is used to disperse citrus flavored soft drinks. Which means it's added to keep the citrus flavor additive from separating with the other ingredients creating density (cloudiness).

It's true the next time you are in any store check out the ingredients it will be listed probably near the end of the list.

It's not harmful because FDA regulates how much is to be used but could present problems if consumed in large quantities over a period of time.

Personally this makes me not want to drink Mountain Dew or any other citrus flavored drink.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is an interesting bit of information and another reason to not drink sodas. The amount of caffine in Mountain Dew is the main reason I do not drink Mountain Dew it keeps me up for hours and if I drink coffee I am up all day. The soda taste good without any health benefits.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In didn't know this about Mountain Dew. Even though I love the taste, I gave it up several years ago. The caffeine content is crazy. It has more caffeine than Coke.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I didn't know that either.

I don't drink soda often, but when I do, it tends to be Mountain Dew. I go for the caffeine content and taste because I'm not a big fan of dark colas. I figure it's all bad for me at that point anyway so I just keep it in moderation.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yuk, that's horrible. Who wants to drink vegetable oil? Coca-Cola were forced to remove this ingredient from Powerade after pressure from health group s but it appears that PepsiCo will not follow suit.

6. Darakath

DarakathMember

Threads:
    I used to love drinking soda, but not for a few years now. This is now another reason that I can use to defend myself about not drinking. I still drink a little bit for the taste, about once a month, but only the ones with less caffeine, unlike Mountain Dew.

7. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I’m glad I quit drinking soda in general, but this fact is especially disgusting. I enjoyed Mountain Dew when I was a child, and I probably drank way more than I should have. Knowing this about it now has turned me off it for life. Plus I doubt I can handle the caffeine content anymore, anyway.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not that big of a deal. If you drink enough Mountain Due to make the Bromate rather than the sugar give you health problems, then something is seriously wrong with your body. All sodas are fine in moderation. Heck, a couple cans per week won't do much to you. People almost never know what they put in their body, but with soda the simple fact remains that sugar in regular sodas will wreak havoc on your health, and artificial sweeteners in diet sodas will do the same.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I used to drink the Red and that stuff was loaded. Even though I still drink caffeinated sodas on occasion I stay completely away from the Red. It would probably even worse for me now because I feel like the caffeine these days gets more intense for me.

10. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    There are a lot of sodas that contain ingredients like this and it is scary what it can do to your body if consumed in large quantities and over a long period of time. I would have thought they would have labels stating that the product is not designed for long periods!!

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely drink soda because I know they're not healthy. I drink them on occasion when a craving hits, but I would rather take my chances with the sugar (in whatever form they're using), than the artificial sweeteners. My ex drank at least 2 liters of Diet Mountain Dew per day, and nothing would stop him. Finally, he has a health care worker with cancer, who got him to quit. I can't have much citrus due to health issues, but the thought of drinking vegetable oil is turning my stomach.

12. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    I honestly am never surprised when I hear something new about how soda can kill you. It seems we find something new every day about how many harmful chemicals are in these psedo-elixers. I will occasionally indulge in them for my sweet tooth's sake, but I generally try to stay away. However, with the number of harmful chemicals in most consumption products nowadays, it's really hard to know what is actually healthy and what could kill you on the site. I genuinely don't know anymore.

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you on the last part. I have heard that even cell phones can harm your health because of radiation. There is just so much information out there (sometimes even mixed opinions) that it's difficult to tell anymore. The worst part is it makes it difficult to save money because if you buy something that claims it's healthy it tends to be expensive. On the other hand if you buy something that isn't so good you may pay for it later if you don't have free health insurance. I get tired of trying to follow the "laws" of health and just go by what I think doing what's reasonable to implement. Personally like I said before it's all about moderation. Just combine moderation with your personal preferences and I think it should be okay.

14. sissibombix

sissibombixMember

Threads:
    I don't really drink sodas because of the sugar amount they contain, and this just gives me another reason to keep not drinking them. Why would I put in my body water filled with so many bad things? I'd rather make a lemonade at home, getting all that fresh vitamin C without any of the weird preservatives and toxic ingredients.

15. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    Oh yes. Moderation is what keeps us able to indulge in dangerous behavior and yet stay around with some semblance of sanity. Smoking used to be considered a healthy habit, then we discovered otherwise. Heck, soda was originally marketed as medicine! How long until we find that another trendy behavior that we are used to has very adverse side effects? We will never know until someone else finds out, but by then it ends up being too late.

16. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I did not know that either. Mountain Dew is not a soda I drink a lot anyways. I really cannot remember the last time I had a Mountain Dew. I have been cutting down on drinking sodas A LOT. The only time I drink A LOT of sodas, is when there is nothing else but water to drink. Then I will drink water and soda all day. Which is bad indeed, I got to do better on when to drink sodas. But I do drink water too. When I start making more money I would like to make my own drinks that would be fun!

17. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband is a Coke drinker and I am a Mountain Dew drinker. But a few months back, my sister who is a nurse in a big hospital told me that Mountain Dew has a lot of sugar. And since there is the danger of getting diabetes from drinking that, I was advised to shift to Sprite of 7-up. For now, it is Sprite for me although I am trying to wean myself from drinking soda because I am trying to lose some weight.

18. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of Mountain Dew as I heard it contains a lot of caffeine but now I'm really going to avoid it and encourage my kids to make other choices too. Thankfully my kids like root beer and ginger ale. At home rather than buying soda I'll buy club soda and mix it with fruit juice to make a carbonated drink. It's cheaper than buying soda, better for you, lower in sugar and a wee bit of vitamin C.

19. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mountain Dew also has more caffeine than most, if not all, other sodas. Sprite and 7-up are caffeine-free. You could try making it a treat, instead of a staple. You could try making your own citrus enhanced beverage with more natural ingredients, based on water, squeezing in some lemon/lime/orange and perhaps a smidgen of sweetener, if you need it, but maybe something healthier, such as honey.

20. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Doesn't surprise me at all. Sodas in general are all about taste, with virtually no thought given to harmful effects, especially those that can build up over time. I drink Mountain Dew maybe once a year, if that often, and now I'll probably just ignore it altogether.

This reminds me of a video I saw on YouTube where a guy tested an old study on what would happen if an animal's body - in this case, specifically, a mouse - was submerged in Mountain Dew for roughly a month. What the Mountain Dew did to the mouse was utterly grisly, enough so that I don't think I'll be posting the video here. Still, it's enough to make you want to avoid touching the stuff.