Acceptable to use coupons on a date?

Discussion in Coupons started by writer811 • Aug 14, 2012.

1. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I use coupons to help pay for food whenever I'm on a date and so does my partner. Someone told us we shouldn't do that and we're both thinking the same thing; why not? What do you think?

2. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    If I was on a date, a first date and somebody brought out a coupon I would be taken back that they were going to nickel and dime me every time we did anything. If we were already dating for a bit I would have no problem with calling them up and saying hey I have a coupon for such and suck want to grab dinner? First dates are kind of different.

Must be the wording. I am not sure what you and your partner are still doing dating.:)

3. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I used a coupon on our first date! I don't see why it's unacceptable. With the economy this bad, I'm doing everything I can to save money and I can't afford to splurge all the time and I encourage them to do the same thing for me. Save your pennies!

4. ronnie41647

ronnie41647New Member

Threads:
    I don't know how I would feel on a first date...It has been a while since I have had one of those lol. If he JUST pulled out a coupon for the dinner, it says he has put some thought into it. If he told me I could only order certain things becaus he had the coupon, that is a diffrent story completley.

Certainly if we had been dating a while I would be fine with it. I have been married for six years,haven't had a first date in eight. Maybe I am just out of touch?

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If it were a first date where the people didn't really know each other, then it could come across as being "cheap." It wouldn't personally bother me, but I could see how it might bother others. If you're already together and both are on the same page with it, though, then who cares?

6. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it matters unless the person you're dating is high-maintenance. I mean, certain girls might be repulsed at the sight of a coupon, but most probably wouldn't care. I wouldn't mind unless the guy was monitoring what I ordered or acting like control freak, talking about the coupons the entire time.

7. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Well, ideally a first date is supposed to be something special. One might buy a new outfit or get their hair done or something to make it special. So I would say bypass the coupon this time. I know we're all trying to save money, but maybe you could cut some corners somewhere else in your budget so that you could go out and just have a nice time without obsessing about the cost too much. We all need a break once in a while. Think about when you go on vacation... Do you want to obsess over every nickel and dime you might have to spend or do you just want one week out of your life when you can really relax and just get away from all your worries?

So think of a first date as a one day vacation! And have a GREAT time.

8. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Not on a first date with a guy. It would make you seem cheap. I would probably get up an walk away. Now if I know the person and we are like really close and we agree on that then it's okay. I wouldn't do it all the time though. I don't like to nickel and dime like that all the time.

9. tetutato

tetutatoActive Member

Threads:
    Eh maybe not if it's such a small discount but if it's something like 50% off... -_-

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I saw someone pull out a coupon on a date, I would be kind of impressed. When I see someone overspending, like my ex who buys the most expensive cuts of meat and brand name products, I think of them as wasteful. When I see someone being frugal and making smart money choices that's attractive.

I saw a forum post online by a woman who wanted to buy a home with her boyfriend, but her boyfriend kept wasting money and racking up debt so it was delaying them being able to buy a home.

If someone pulls out a coupon on a date then you know they have the same money philosophy as you and you can save up for a home with this person in the future.

11. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I don't really see a problem with it - even on a first date. It doesn't suggest that you're cheap - more that you're a responsible, financially aware adult. In my book, it's a plus point. Like others, I don't think the coupon holder should go so far as to suggest only ordering items covered by the coupon - that's just cheap and crass.

12. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I think it could be ok, but remember, its all in the delivery. Meaning you just have to be careful how you present it. I would wait until the end, and say, Oh wait I have a coupon, lets go ahead and save us $XXX . I like when a coupon can come in handy.

13. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I think this question depends on the degree of knowledge that we have with the other person. On a first date, I think it's an attitude inconsiderate to use coupons. Leaving aside the first date, I think it is possible to use them, but we must not abuse them. I usually use 2x1 coupons for a movie, or some with small discounts for meals. Anyway, if we can avoid using those savings against the person we like, we add points in our conquest. One key is to be discreet when checking out, and if we want to use a coupon like that, we hide it. :p

14. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    If it's a first date and you try to use coupons, you'll look just as bad as Alan Harper does. Sometimes the person you're with doesn't need to know you're trying to save or you can just make an exception. If it's a girlfriend/boyfriend, fiancee or husband/wife, then that'd be perfectly fine, you both know each other already.

15. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    For a first date, I wouldn't try pulling a coupon out unless prior to the date, we'd already been on friendly terms or known something about each other. Now in this economy, who doesn't want to save a bit?

16. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't use coupons for going on a date, especially a first date. I suppose It all depends on the individuals involved. Someone who's high maintenance would expect to be wined and dined with expensive things. Pulling out a coupon in front of them would be date over in a matter of seconds. However, if you both like to save on money and don't mind using coupons, I don't see why you shouldn't use them.

17. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I have no problem with someone using a coupon on a first date, second date or whatever. The fact that I'm being treated period is sweet gesture in an of itself. I myself have paid for a date with my now husband ,using a 2 for 1 coupon on a cruise. If the shoe was on the other foot, I would think the person is just money conscientious. Any person that has an issue with someone using coupons, especially in the financial crisis we are in, is looking for someone with money to burn, someone to sponsor them, or/ and not focusing on what is really important- building a long lasting loving relationship. If you want to judge someone based on being thrifty or conscious with their dollar, you should re-evaluate the reasons you want a relationship. It's not about what people can do for you, it's about love. Never judge someone by what they can only do for you. It's selfish. Think about it too. Many millionaires or well to do people are rich BECAUSE they are thrifty and money conscientious. So before you label them cheap or think it's tacky, you may just be blowing off a millionaire with all their bills paid while you look for the guy /gal that will foot the bill with lots of debt just to impress you. But then that's just how I think.

18. sarahlou773

sarahlou773Member

Threads:
    I think it is totally acceptable, it shows that you are both good at controlling your spending. I don't see anything wrong with saving some money.

19. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I am a poor person. Most of the people I dated before I was married were also poor. In fact, my husband was poor before we got married and we're still poor now. If two poor people are on a date and one of them pulls out a coupon, rejoicing ensues. In fact, my husband and I have planned dates around coupons. If you're out on a date with someone and she thinks ill of your using a coupon, she's either a gold digger or she's spoiled or just much richer than you are. Either way, you'll probably never make her happy, so don't waste your coupon on her.

20. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    If the woman was the one using the coupons she'd be the one to look okay. But if a guy does it, he'll look like Alan Harper. Double standards.