Acer Is The Worst

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by ExpertAdvice • Jun 5, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend Acer to stop operations. If it were up to me, I would only make Windows and Apple remain as the choice of computer software and brands. I bought a Acer laptop only a few months ago and already the thing is under-performing! And it was one of the most expensive kinds..I really am at a lost for words and for energy with this thing. Yesterday, the screen barely touched the ground and a large portion of the screen (in the top) is now permanently damaged- I can see nothing in the top of the screen, so you know I will now have to buy a screen which really makes no sense to do-cause of the price, so I'm going to just have to use it until it gives up and never buy that brand again! Has anyone found a similar problem with this brand? :-@

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where did the screen land, on a corner or an edge? All screens are going to break with ease after a fall on a corner. Acer sometimes ranks among the best PC manufacturers and then sometimes as one of the worst, depending upon the year. I prefer Asus, to be honest, and I believe that most people would opt for Asus over Acer. Have you been performing all of the necessary maintenance on the unit since you got it?

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say Acer is the worst laptop because there are lesser known brands with poorer performance (especially those manufactured in and imported from the world's most populated country). I never bought an Acer laptop myself since I'm more inclined to buy ASUS and Samsung products, but friends and acquaintances who use the brand all say the same thing: 1) the battery easily drains, 2) the laptop starts to lag or malfunction after a few years of use, and 3) it usually doesn't last for more than 4 years and even if it does, the unit would have suffered so much damage by then.

4. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have an Acer laptop, but I do have an Acer tablet. It has many limitations and lots of apps that are not compatible. I use it for email and other light stuff and for the camera. No movies, just reading and some video, like YouTube. I did drop it once and the screen has scratch marks. But, it continues to work for me.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought a 2nd hand Acer Veriton 3700GX, and after 16 days of using it, it won't boot anymore. I have shut it down correctly, so it's probably a hardware issue. I do have a brand new Acer monitor and I have only been using it for 2 weeks before the pc got broken, so it has yet to stand the test of time. I do notice that the HP monitor in our other pc is better graphics wise than the Acer monitor.

6. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    My experience with Acer products is not a pleasant one as well. I don't think I am ever going to buy anything related unless something changes in that particular company. The only positive that might change my mind in the future maybe is that they have at least quite reasonable prices.

7. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    You guys seem to be really disappointed with their high-end products especially, but to be honest, I bought an average laptop of theirs and it didn't disappoint me at all. In fact, I'm writing from one right now, haha. Just make sure you use the warranty or obtain a full refund, I don't know what you could do else.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    So you dropped it and now Acer are a terrible company?

I've had my Acer laptop for three years and have had no problems with it, it even handed the Windows 8 upgrade with no problems.

9. GavinGimbo

GavinGimboMember

Threads:
    I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with your laptop. Acer however, is brand which I really prefer more than others. I had two Acer laptops in the past and never had problems with them. I only changed laptops because I needed to upgrade to an ultrabook, which is also, Acer.

I can tell you this. My friend got himself a HP Spectre XT for around $1300 last year. After one week of usage, he dropped it on the floor. The metal chassis was bent, the edge of the screen cracked, completely shattering the touchscreen. The screen had Gorilla Glass 3 protection, which didn't help at all.

Conclusion is: Gravity does things which we even can't comprehend.

10. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Well Acer is one of the brands that offer high-end specs in a rather affordable laptop. In my experience with Acer, what really hurts first is the battery and the cooling capacity of the unit. I have used two Acer laptops already and both had battery and overheating problems in less than a year of usage. Never experienced that with my current Lenovo laptop. So yeah maybe Acer isn't a good choice for a laptop that you want to use for a long time.

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My only experience with Acer was a netbook that I had, and it worked just fine. I never had a problem with it, other than that some websites wouldn't recognize it as a 'mobile' device, so would load for a full sized screen, which was a pain. I loved the design and how it worked, and I ultimately sold it and the buyer was also very happy with it. Any time I drop a device, I'm grateful if it works at all afterwards.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mother recently went out and purchased herself her own laptop. It was an Acer brand laptop and it is windows 8. The touch pad has got to be one of the most frustrating touch pads that I have ever encountered on a laptop in my life. When you try to move the cursor, it sticks. Not the best impression from Acer.

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My only experience with Acer was helping my cousin fix her netbook from about 5 years ago. I must say that it was sturdy and underwent a lot of abuse from a teen girl. That thing did malfunction, but that is because she used it wrong. I think they offer people affordable laptops. They do make crap products, but if you are on a budget, they do perform if you take care of the product.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I spent a lot of money on my last computer.. I felt it was more durably built (I tend to mangle technology quite easily) and it's a good name, good reviews etc.. nothing but problems in some of the areas I need it for the most. My son just wanted something to access the internet, he had no real wants, just that it worked. Spent very little on an acer and it's outlived all of ours with the only problems being shorts in the chargers, which happens to pretty much everything we buy now, regardless of price or brand.

15. Aasif Khan

Aasif KhanMember

Threads:
    Expensive does not always guarantee performance. I hope that you bought a decently spec'd laptop given that it was expensive. I am not sure if what happened to you with acer is not going to happen with another brand. I have been using different laptops for over 7 years and I have never caused any kind physical damage to them. I think you will have to replace the whole screen this time.

You don't have to blame a good brand for your carelessness. Be more careful with your belongings next time. For now, try contacting the customer care or repair it with your warranty.