Add to favorites in multiple browsers

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Gelsemium • Apr 17, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was wondering if anyone knows a way to add a page to you favorites simultaneously in multiple browsers? I use Chrome, Firefox and Opera and I add a favorite in one of them and I'd like it to be on the three, anyone knows a way to do this?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't know of a way to automatically do this every time. You can easily export favorites back and forth between browsers, though. So if you update one, you can then export/import all your bookmarks over to the other two the next time you open them.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's a good tip actually, I've never looked into it, but I'm certainly going to do it because I usually go back to the browser where I have that favorite and I never bother to import it lol, pretty lazy I guess. Thanks. :)

4. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    That's pretty hard to do. If you're into the whole macro thing though, you could probably make a .bat file to sync your bookmarks everysooften (once a day). If you're on Linux, it would be even easier as long as you know your fair share of BASH. I would go with Chrome HTML bookmarks, as that's a common format. Bookmarks are kept in one file, so it wouldn't be hard to make a program to just copy and paste (and possibly rename) the primary bookmarks file.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, thanks for the answer SlyCat, it's no big deal really, I just keep adding the new favorites the next time I open a new browser, I've already started having that discipline and so far so good. Not a bad idea for an app though, common favorites. :)

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that there is actually a way, because all three are very different and they will not just want to work with other browsers they consider their contender. What you should probably do is just copy and paste the url and then bookmark them one by one. This is pretty not convenient though.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, it's not practical at all, but it's a way. I am surprised that no one developed a way to do it, but on the other hand I suppose there are not many people using multiple browsers. If I was a web developer I would certainly work on something like this, after Adblock I think it would be the nº2 browser-extension all over the world! :)

8. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I use an extension on Chrome and Firefox called Pocket which does exactly what you want, I just don't know whether it's available on Opera.
    It allows you to save web pages to your account, which you can access anywhere anytime just by logging into your account (I have it always logged in).
    The only downside is that it can be a bit disorganized.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That seems really interesting Strykstar, so it's just an extension I install and it saves all my favorites and then reproduces them in the different browsers? Pretty neat! What do you mean that it is disorganized, they favorites are not organized in folders like we usually have them in our browsers?

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's right Gelsemium, it adds a button to your browser that saves your current page to your "Pocket", which you can then access on different browsers or even different devices (I know there's an iOS app).
    As for the disorganization, as far as I'm aware you can't organize it into folders or even rename the pages, it just keeps everything in a list, organized chronologically by when you added that page.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Pretty neat actually Strykstar, I've just installed it and it works like a dropbox for the browser, you need to login with an e-mail and a password and you can add the pages you want. After that, you can do the same in every browser you want and in any computer you want, so problem solved! :)

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Glad I could help!
    It was just fortunate that you asked for something that I already knew about. :)

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, yeah, but you were right about the organization, when you press the button "Save to Pocket" it just adds up the page you are currently viewing and it goes on and on doing that with all the pages you're adding. After a few weeks I imagine that will be rather chaotic, so I'll try to keep that to a minimum or else I can't find what I want.