Addicted To Painkillers

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by kirtibacon98 • Dec 15, 2016.

1. kirtibacon98

kirtibacon98New Member

Threads:
    I have been researching about painkiller addiction as I'm one among them. I can't even withstand a small pain. I didn't know I'm addicted to it until I read a blog regarding opiate painkiller addiction more common than alcoholism. Here is the blog url

Now I'm looking for ways to stop using painkillers which are very difficult task. Has anyone here addicted to painkillers? How did you overcome it?

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I am not exactly addicted and can bear good amount of pain but I am of the notion that why bear pain when there are painkillers? And so I use painkillers the moment pain starts.

A lot depends on the source of pain. For some pains like menstrual cramps exercising or walking actually helps. For headache relaxation and ice therapy helps. Local muscular pain can be relieved by local analgesic ointments.

Hence, you can minimize the use of painkillers by adopting such a lifestyle.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    This is the main reason why I try to avoid pain killers or any medication as much as I possibly can. If I start getting a headache or stomach ache I make myself a cup of chamamoil tea which really calms the pain significantly I have also found out that it helps control a fever. As a woman for menstrual cramps I use a warm towel on my belly to calm the pain. The only time I will take medication is when the pain is too strong or I have a kind of infection anything else I can bare.

4. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I have never been addicted to painkillers but I may have information that could help. You should visit a doctor and get the accurate information on your condition. If you are certain of your addiction, there are pills that help reduce your dependence to painkillers. Methadone is good at eliminating withdrawal symptoms. It also helps ease the drug cravings. It's the most effective. Subutex is another drug that helps in detoxing the pain killers from your system. The best way to deal with pain killer addiction is to look for a replacement pill. Methadone and subutex are good replacements.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    One way to avoid painkillers is to avoid pain. In other words, lift weights the proper way, take care of your teeth, take proper precautions at the workplace, avoid fights by controlling what you say online. Well, the last one is a bit funny but very true. Of course, in some things pain may inevitable. For instance, if you play sports, then the probability of a massive injury is always there and the same thing goes for any kind of military or police service, though the probability might be less than in sports if there is no actual combat.

Of course, some people like to be cool and purposely look for things which cause pain, but overkill with attitude will ultimately increase the chance of pain, and hence pain pill addiction.

However, there could be people who just started pain pills to get a buzz, not because they were in physical pain, or maybe they were in emotional pain, and they wanted an escape with some heroin-like drug.

6. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I was never addicted to pain killers. Oddly I like pain to a certain extent. I was addicted to anti-depressants. How I overcame it was to block all my access to getting them. It was hard at first but over time I eventually overcame the need for it. I got addicted to it because I am an artist and I shake when I am nervous so I took them to calm myself down.

7. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    When you begin to take over the counter drugs such as pain killers, sleeping pills, anti-depressant etc. you never know when these drugs get over you and make you addicted. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you should avoid such medicines.

8. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    I suffered from stomach pain for 7 years. I was examined by over 10 professional doctors and they all said the same, "We form find anything in the reports". I used a number of pain killers in the process but nothing helped.I got so addicted to them that I thought I will not get rid of the pain unless I take the tablet. Finally the main reason for the pain was diagnosed as stress. I stopped all medication and began to lead a stress free life and since then I have stopped medicines for all common diseases. I feel much better now.

9. Joanna458

Joanna458New Member

Threads:
    Long term use of painkillers can lead to physical dependence. When someone is actively struggling with an addiction to painkillers then they are likely to face high withdrawal symptoms. So, it'll be better that you avoid taking painkillers.

10. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I was once very dependent to painkillers that I always have one in my bag. I can bear a bit of pain, but not so much. Well I actually did and can bear a lot of pain as I had my appendix removed a few years ago and I can tell you that I've been through a lot of pain that I didn't even know I can withstand.

Thankfully, I was able to outgrew being dependent to painkillers as I've learned that they aren't really beneficial and can totally harm the liver. So therefor I stopped using them, even medicines or any chemical drug.

11. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Pain is the way our body tells us that something is not right so it is necessary to some extent. However, I don't believe in suffering if I don't have to and will take over the counter pain killers if I need to for headache, backache etc.. I would only take prescription pain killers if I felt it was so bad I could not manage it any other way. Thankfully that has not happened to me yet.

12. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't have that kind of addiction. There was a time when my mother was addicted to them, but after a brief treatment for anxiety, she got rid of the addiction (thanks God).

Many people don't think that getting addicted to painkillers is a bad thing, but they should review their own concepts.

13. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    There is a common misconception that people have in which they think that you can only be addicted to drugs such weed, cocaine or heroine and the likes, but it's more than that, painkillers even though they can ease the pain and help you feel at ease, long term effect they can have a lot of negative impacts on your body.

14. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    I try to avoid taking painkillers for my headaches especially that from a hangover, but I can't help it. I get stressful in some days from work too, and headaches keep coming in. I need painkillers to make me sleep or else I'll wake up the next day feeling and looking tired.

15. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Anything that is taken too much or being abused posed a danger to one's body. Pain is a sign that signals something is not well in a particular parts of the body. And there are over-the-counter (OTC) medicine or pain relievers which a patient could easily buy.

Pain and fever are body's symptoms that the body has to be taken care of. Thus, a doctor should be consulted so that a proper medication is to be dispensed with to avoid addiction and it would result to worsening of the body. Self-medication is not recommended.

16. Sherrie Larrison

Sherrie LarrisonMember

Threads:
    I am really keen in knowing the end of this thread with a better conclusion as I am one of those who are addicted to painkillers and has never thought to overcome it.

17. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I'm just the opposite, I will only take painkillers for extreme pain and have never had prescription painkillers. I buy over the counter pills only. If I had a pain that did not respond to these I would see a doctor .. I think I'm just lucky that to date I have reached my sixties and not suffered too much pain.

18. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I am not addicted to pain killers but I take it only when I am in an unbearable pain. Most of the times when I am experiencing the pain I will try to distract myself so that gradually it reduces without the use of painkillers. I am afraid of the addiction, so I stopped taking it.