Adjustable Dumbbells?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by kingusama92 • May 21, 2014.

1. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    I have been working out for a while and thought about making an investment recently?

Getting regular dumbbells is not as easy as it seems. Quite the investment really. I do not have that kind of cash laying around, to be honest, I don't even have the space to have so many dumbbells!

This is why I am intrigued by adjustable dumbbells.

Should I get them? If yes, which ones are the best out there on the market?

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have been having the same debate. I have one set of 20lb dumbbells and I could use a greater variety. I have seen a number of different types ranging from 2 short bars which one can just add free weights to to the kind that just click into place effortlessly. I am inclined to go with the quick click and go ones rather than the bars as I have used them in the past and they are a bit time consuming to change in the middle of a workout routine.

The key thing is getting the right weights for your purpose. You want to have more weight than you can currently lift so that you can improve. You also should be looking for the ability to add small amounts of weight rather than large increments. If you are using 20lbs, it is better to be able to add 2.5 lbs rather than 5 lbs as your body will be able to handle the smaller adjustment better.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    You could always make your own dumbbells. I do like the adjustable kind too bur recently I just saw some people selling homemade dumbbells on the street and it gave me the idea. They actually filled tin cans with concrete and then stuck pipes in it. But others have made kettlebells with milk jugs. I have also used stuff around the house; filling a small duffle bag works good because of the handles. I have also used water bottles, honey bottles, cans, and books. Walmarts has the adjustable ones for 18.00; that's not too bad considering you get 40 lbs all together with 4 different sets of plates (4 6lbs plates, and 4 2.5lb plates. There is a 30 day manufacturer guarantee. They are vinyl coated.