Adult Wigs Will Fit Kids?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by DrRipley • Jun 18, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm thinking of buying my 4 year old niece a wig because she likes playing dress-up, but the only available wigs here are adult sized, and I'm wondering if they would fit the head of a 4 year old kid. The reason I'm asking here is because they are pretty expensive, and are only available at a store I'd have to drive an hour for, so if I went there I'd most likely be buying it just so I don't end up wasting the trip since I'd be going out of my way to get there and it's probably the only thing I'll be buying.

Do any of you have any experience with wigs, especially for fitting adult ones on kids? I'd love to hear if you think this would be a good idea or if I should just start looking for another gift item.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Interesting question. :) I would call up the wig place and ask the people there about the sizes they have available. I mean there a re plenty of adults with small heads. Perhaps it would be useful to have a look at your niece's hat size, if she has got any. That would give the assistant in the wig shop an idea. Also, why not have a look online to see what's available. You might get more ideas about sizes and how to take measurements that will help you make a decision.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I actually recommend NOT buying an expensive adult wig.

You can order plenty of play/dress-up wigs online that are much, much cheaper and are intended for kids.

Those expensive ones that you're driving away to get are intended to look real for adults who have gone through chemo, etc, and that's just really excessive for a 4 year old who is going to end up tearing them up or getting them really dirty, etc (even a careful toddler will not be able to get the care and treatment that is necessary for a real/expensive wig).

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why not just buy some wigs on Amazon? Some of their wigs are price as low as $6 and made for dress up and anime cosplaying.

Here's a cute pink and purple wig for $8.

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    If you really want to get it from the place you mentioned then I'd also recommend to give them a call first to ask about the size. Otherwise you would be wasting a lot if you just go there without a single information.

Buying wigs online seems to be cheaper too and there are so many stores where you can have a look for ones that fit for kids.

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I think Oriental Trading has wigs that will fit children to go with their costumes. Unless you want it to be "real" hair you should be able to find something at a store that sells stuff for dress up play or that has costumes. You could also just use hair pieces like clip on instead of ponytails or extensions instead of a full wig.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep!

And if you really want them to look real but still fit a child, you can get authentic looking ones like this, too:

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another option is to make a wig for her. It's really not difficult at all. There are plenty of videos on YouTube on wig making. You control the price of the wig by how much you spend on the hair. The other supplies are very cheap and can be purchased at Wal-Mart or Target.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You can put adult wigs on kid's heads, but I don't think that's going to fit well to them as I have seen with my kid cousins who wear my mom's wigs. If you are just only after for something to have your kid play on, and not that really serious how she's going to look, then I think you could work on that wig, but if you are particular of how she's gonna look, then why not order online and have it delivered at your home? I am also guessing that wigs for kids are cheaper because they are like toys as compared to those of the adults.

10. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on how big your kid is but normally it won't fit. There should be different ones for kids. Also, this may depend on the type of wig that you are using. If you are using the one with a stocking-like inner lining, that will more or less snug onto your kid's head and so it will fit.

I think it's best for you to bring along your kid and let her try it on. She can tell you if it's too tight or if it's sliding from her head.