Advance tickets vs last minute

Discussion in Travel started by Hedonologist • Sep 27, 2014.

1. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    You can get great savings if you book early, and also great savings if you manage to snag a last minute deal. In your experience which one is better?

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Booking in advance saves a lot of money than booking during the last minute. I have tried booking to flight the next day and it cost about $300 and I was shock thinking its just a 30 minute fly. But when I book 3 months earlier, its almost just $35, thats how much I will save when going home for holidays..

3. Hedonologist

Threads:
    Booking directly from the company on the last day can be very expensive, but if you book through a specific "last minute" type website, there are usually massive savings to be had. Of course the potential downside is if there are no available seats. Then you have to book through the main website which will cost substantially more.

4. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I try planning ahead and paying as I plan. I plan one thing at a time that way when I plan it, I have the money to pay for it then. I do try to search out the best deal before paying though.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both can save money, if I am buying a bus ticket then advance is much cheaper as they don't discount tickets later on. I have saved money on booking flights later as long as you are flexible, as planes need to fill seats to make it worth while, whilst buses and coaches can have empty seats and still make a profit.

The same goes for train tickets, the advance tickets are always cheaper as long as you don't have to change them. Mega Bus and Greyhound are always worth booking early to get the $1 fares and I have had them before.

6. Hedonologist

Threads:
    I actually have a £1 Megabus fare booked for later this year actually. I don't know how they even turn a profit with these offers. I also have a one way flight home for £19.99. So a return trip for £20.99 :)

7. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    When I travel I always buy tickets way in advance, often through airline sale events or through online coupons. On several occasions throughout the year airline companies hold online sale for a limited time on specific periods. Tickets are priced less than 50% lower than the regular price. What is needed is a bank fund that is always ready for expenditures like these. Travel does not have to be expensive if planned carefully. It also takes time to watch for ticket sale events; but it is worth it.

8. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer booking airline tickets in advance. It is true that you can get tickets cheaper. However, what is more important to me is the fact that I experience less inconvenience. I tend to worry a lot, so dealing with last minute tickets can be very stressful for me.

9. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to get tickets in advance so that I can plan ahead and be sure that I have got them. However, there are often better bargains if you wait until the last minute. It is a case of balancing the pros and cons of each and if you are prepared to take the risk.

10. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Over the years I have found that it is a much better savings if you plan ahead. I like to start looking about 4 months ahead of time that way I have the freedom to look around and compare prices. I hate to feel pressured and that is usually what happens when you wait until last minute. If you are flexible with your travel you can also find great deals by looking a few months in advance!

Hope this helps!

Danyel :)