Advantage and disadvantage of Online Shopping

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by katharinemae • Jun 19, 2012.

1. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    Hi! I'm a Mother of two wonderful kids and I love fashion. I used to Shop To my hearts content, my partner even teased me that when it comes to shopping I never complain. I don't get tired of visiting shop after another shop, I can spend my whole day in the mall and I wouldn't mind.
    Motherhood had changed my priorities in life, I spend most of my time now taking care of the kids and I don't have time to shop anymore. I'd rather stay at home with them than go out shopping like i used to. But don't get me wrong I still love fashion and I'm planning to shop for some clothes, shoes and accessories online. It would be great if you can share with me some advantage or disadvantages of online shopping to help me decide if i'm doing the right thing. It would really be helpful if you also share some trusted online shops that I can visit. Thanks!

2. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I love online shopping! It's fast and it's easy. But I don't really buy my shoes online because my feet are kinda picky when it comes to sizing. But for clothes and other stuff, online shopping is the best! I love Zalora and Ebay!

3. katharinemae

Threads:

4. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    This biggest disadvantage I have found with online shopping is getting the size down because all things fit different. I bought a great golf rain jacket on ebay a while back and bought my size only to find that it was too small. I needed one size larger and had to pay for shipping and wait the extra time to get the one I wanted. I stopped buying clothes online as everything fits different and unless you know for sure it's a big hassle.

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    First, there is a huge difference in online shopping in Canada and the United States. Although we share a border, it's quite difficult to get decent clothes, reasonable price and low shipping costs if you're in Canada.

Anyway, the main advantage for online shopping is the price. That is the biggest thing, at least for me anyway.

Disadvantage? You can't try it on | it may be too big or too small and you have to go through the entire hassle of returning it in boxes | shipping costs.

6. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Advantages of shopping online
    -Convenient
    -Cheaper prices
    -Wider selection of merchandise

Disadvantages
    -Fastest shipping is 24 hours
    -Can't try on clothes/shoes to make sure they fit
    -Items could get damaged in the mail

7. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    I have only done online shopping a few times and those times did not include shopping for clothes and shoes. I still like to shop the traditional way when it comes to clothes and shoes, simply because I can try them on. My SIL loves to buy shoes from one of the local stores in Malaysia, but almost all the time, the shoes did not fit. However, that did not stop her from shopping online again! I have seen some websites with beautiful clothes and I was surprised at the affordable prices. I'm sure I would not be able to find the same type of clothes with the same price in any traditional store. My other SIL buys her clothes from eBay and books from Amazon.

8. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Advantages: more convenient, better selection, no walking around stores, shop from your couch/bed/table/etc, rapidly find good deal
    Disadvantages: pay for shipping (sometimes you can get free shipping), get the wrong size of clothes or shoes, waiting for the item to come in the mail

I personally love shopping at drugstore.com, overstock.com, and amazon.com.

9. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely buy clothes online because I prefer to know how it is going to fit on me. I've never been a person that can just go by a size and it will work. There is always something that will vary and throw that whole thing off and it's not just one size up or down, but something that makes me rethink what size I wear in general. I have bought a few things, but only if I know that I can go ahead and return it at a local store.

10. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I never buy clothes online, as I'm not a standard size. Also, I think you need to try it on, and not just for fit. Some things may look great in the picture, but terrible on you, and vice versa. One of my favourite dresses is one I wouldn't have bought, because it looked nothing special on the hanger in store. However, a friend was with me, and she said it was just the right style for me. I tried it on to please her, and it's the most flattering dress I own. It's also versatile, as I can dress it up or down for evening or day wear. If I'd have seen the dress in an online store, I wouldn't have even considered it.

11. katharinemae

Threads:
    Thanks for bringing that up, it really made me think twice. I think this can really happen, i have to weigh my options now, i dont want any hassle doing my shopping. Having to wait and pay for another shipping fee is not cool at all!

12. katharinemae

Threads:
    Thanks for all the advice, it really helped me. I really want to try online shopping, so i think i have to settle with accessories so that it will not be a problem regarding the size. How will I know that its not a scam? How will I know that my accessories will really arrive? Do you have any tips on how to know if the online shop is legit or not?

13. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Advantages and disadvantages from my personal experience:

Advantages:
    - Reliable if you know where to go
    - Easy to do, no hassle

Disadvantages:
    - Customs fees.

14. Yuvastyleindia

YuvastyleindiaMember

Threads:
    Advantages of Online Shopping
    1. Saves time and money.
    2. Get rid of hurdles of going anywhere physically.
    3. No need to take money in cash
    4. Products are delivered at your doorsteps.

Disadvantages of Online Shopping

1. Fear of loosing money
    2. Sometimes net is not working well.

15. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I feel that one of the biggest disadvantages would be not finding the perfect size as well as the shipping costs they have in many stores. I honestly cannot stand paying for shipping so therefore I always try to find stores that have free shipping of at least free shipping when you reach $50. This is a huge problem for me.

16. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to shop online. I believe I can find more disadvantages when shopping in stores. I can always find a bargain on the item for items that I really need. Also, online shopping allows me to avoid the crowds in stores. Also, most of the online sites I shop from tends to restock items frequently. One major disadvantage to online shopping is shipping and handling fees.

17. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The biggest disadvantages for me is not being able to try the clothes on and limited stock. I find that 'real' shops generally have more stock than the e-tailers. The advantages are the price, discount codes etc and the convenience of ordering online.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The biggest disadvantage of shopping online is that the goods may be damaged during transit, and if you order from an international store, then the item could arrive from anywhere between 2 weeks to 2 months in my experience.

On the other hand, the advantages of online shopping would be that it's not as tiring as compared to going to the mall, and you can easily hop from one online store to another easily to look for the best deals.

19. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I think that the big bonus of shopping online is that you can score some really great prices and save a serious amount of money. The only drawback is that the item may not look that way in real life and that it may get damaged on its way to you. All in all, shopping online is a very positive experience...enjoy.

20. aalainalawrence

aalainalawrenceNew Member

Threads:
    I am new in this forum and I am myself a shopping freak. As you said Katherine I also prefer online shopping ya you mall is all together a different thing. When you have time limitations or a busy schedule Online shopping is the best option. You can enjoy shopping from comfort of your home.