Advantages and disadvantages in buying online computers

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Jozhua130 • Apr 9, 2012.

1. Jozhua130

Jozhua130New Member

Threads:
    Lets start a discussion here about the Advantages and disadvantages of buying computers online.

What is amazing about online stores like Amazon, Newegg, eBay and others is that they have a vast array of computers you can choose from. not only that you are also able to customize your hardware to your hearts content. Prices in some cases are also cheaper with hundreds of these computers getting incredible discounts which make buying online a sure hit and very tempting all right. But to consider it, what if the said item is defective and you live in a place that is 1000 miles away from where you "supposedly" buy it online. that is one top reason why I tend to be careful when purchasing anything that has a lot of components and parts online. I live in the Philippines, can't imagine the hassle of returning the defective device and wait for a month or two for a new system to come back.

Discuss?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I bought my current laptop online from Dell almost 5 years ago. Initially, there were a few problems, but I took out the 3 year remote warranty. It cost a little more, but it meant that wherever I was - we divide our time between the UK and Spain - I could access technical support for the cost of a regular price phone call. If the problem couldn't be fixed remotely, they would arrange collection, and a replacement laptop while they worked on it, but that never happened - they were always able to deal with the issues remotely.

You certainly get better deals online, but you need to cover your bases before you clinch the deal. I'd be happy to buy online again when this laptop dies on me.

3. Jozhua130

Jozhua130New Member

Threads:
    Just want to clarify, what do you mean with remote warranty? And yes they are indeed really good deals online that makes you want to scurry for your credit card in almost an instant. I just remembered that my sister bough her laptop online and it didn't have any problems yet, at least.

4. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    I buy my computers online from the manufacture. I find that I am normally able to get more for a cheaper price. The retail stores tend to raise the price so that they can make money. When you cut out the middle man, you can save a lot of money. My husband loves Toshiba. A Toshiba at our local Wal-Mart costs $548, and at Office Depot they were around $650. We were able to get one from Toshiba online, with more memory, for $348. I have not had any problems with buying online.

I personally don't like the idea of using Ebay, or any other online auction site, for computers. I had a friend who bought one on Ebay. She paid $200, and it was advertised as brand new. When she got it, you could tell that it was a used computer put into a new box. She figured that since it was so cheap, she would go ahead and try it. The computer had a virus. Ever since then I have not even thought about using Ebay for computers. You can't be 100% sure if it is truly new unless you get it from the company's site, or another trusted site.

5. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I wouldn't really suggest to buy computers online. It's best to go to the store and run tests on it. I'm very traditional when it comes to buying gadgets because I've witnessed a lot of my friends who got ripped off doing that and even when there's warranty, it's takes weeks or even months before you got back what you ordered. It's not really good for business.

6. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Ok the best thing for my for buying online is that I can see it and see it and see it as many times as I want and if I think of something, I go to this site again and check. There is nobody telling my things to persuade me to buy anything and I don't have all the stress. Moreover, I can check other things, too, without having to go back and forth to different stores. Plus you get to read all the reviews that have things a salesman will never tell you

7. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I've only bought online for the last several years and haven’t had a problem yet. Once was directly from Dell, which offers good customer service, and twice from Newegg, and I researched the product thoroughly and read every single customer review before buying and ended up with exactly what I thought I would, for a lot less money than I would in a store here.

8. Popatar

PopatarMember

Threads:
    I generally don't have a problem with buying computers online. There are some disadvantages of course.

Last year I ordered a new Dell desktop for my dad. It was new at the time and it costed $1200. He received it and was using it the following week. After a month I came to visit him and when I took a look at the computer I realized he didn't receive the right computer. I had placed an order for an desktop which had an i7 processor, he had received an i5. This pissed me off quite a bit. We didn't bother returning it because it was working good and for the simple tasks my father does, he didn't need the extra processing power.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased computers offline and online. I prefer buying online. I have never had a problem. I get a better deal and it's delivered. It's getting harder and harder to find a local decent computer store to buy a good computer. There's a Fry's Electronics, but I would recommend a novice shop there. It's always packed and the customer service sucks.

10. mbc221

mbc221New Member

Threads:
    I prefer buying online for the cheaper deals, and also the customizing. If there is a certain one I want that is in a store, I would look at it first, then go online for the purchase. I've brought 2 computers online, and never had a problem.

MBC

11. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Pros: variety, lower prices, being able to compare items so much easier than in 'real' stores, being able to do it in the comfort of your own house.
    Cons: waiting time, shipping prices, not always getting what you were expecting.

12. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I've done both. I like to buy online for many of the same reasons listed here: I'm able to contemplate it for a while, look up specs, read reviews, etc. I think the only reason I ever buy it at the store is when I can't wait to get my hands on it! Of course, this is only products I've already researched online and planned on buying as soon as the funds were there. If I go to the store to buy something on a whim, I still research it and read reviews.

13. wodrock

wodrockNew Member

Threads:
    I genuinely believe that buying computers online is a bit risky deal, eventhough very often you can find the best deals from e-shops. But in actual shop you can try out and get touchy with the computer and see if it fits your exact needs. Ofcourse if you are a hardcore computer-know-all, it wouldn't matter since you are familiar with the product beforehand.

14. Shaggz235

Shaggz235Member

Threads:
    I will often times buy parts online for deals and they are generally cheaper especially if they come from newegg. I generally build my own PCs and upgrade them over time. Luckily for me I have not had any components break or malfunction on me and I have purchased things off newegg for over 8 years now. However, I always do extensive research on the parts I purchase to ensure they will work. I will compare different companies making the same product and go from there. I have had friends who returned things and they have had no complaints on delays on shipping the product or getting it back to them in a timely fashion.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm actually planning to buy a laptop online, because it's more easy to compare prices than buying one in a real store. I guess it all boils down to the credibility of the seller and the distance between you and the nearest physical branch of the store, so to avoid the hassle of returning the item thru shipping, you should buy only at the websites of the stores that are near your place so that when something goes wrong, you can just drop by their store for assistance.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've purchased them online without much trouble. The only time I got hassles was when I ordered customized computers through Dell using their credit options, then I found out the computer wasn't what I was looking for when it arrived - they gave me the run around with returning it. However I've bought a few from Lenovo without any trouble. Ideally, I try to see if I can check out a floor model at the local store, to get a better idea of the build quality, then shop online for the best price on it.

17. XOHum

XOHumMember

Threads:
    Generally there's no problem when you buy good cost performance pc online.