Advice For Ebay Shopping

Discussion in Online Shopping started by DrRipley • Oct 10, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, I noticed that she does not ship the item if she feels that the winnig bids are too low, and sometimes she ships the cheaper item that she thinks is just right for what you paid for (she sells bags) so she's a bit dishonest. She has a couple of negative reviews too. Yeah in Ebay.ph there is no charge to list your item and if you specify bank deposit then you even won't get hit by Paypal's fees, hehe. When you list the item, the total is zero. How about there, when you list an item there is a fee already or only when it gets sold?

2. Carnold23

Carnold23New Member

Threads:
    I buy from ebay all the time. I always make sure I check the rating of the seller and always read the reviews.
    Usually my items that come from overseas will take 3-5 weeks to arrive. I have never had a problem with an item not coming or a defective product but I have had some products be more cheaply made then I would like. That can be what you get if you are buying it at such a low price. Just make sure you check out the reviews and ratings and you should be fine.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too!! Lol. I did receive an item that looked in great shape though, but the wifi feature on the phone wasn't working. So I had to send it back. That was a bit annoying but the seller was very communicative and didn't ignore me. They were annoyed about having to pay for the return postage, but I sure as hell wasn't going to pay for it. She should have sent me a working phone.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good for you, @DreekLass! Sometimes we're too nice and don't complain, when we're totally within our rights to do so! I do hope that in the end you did get a working phone. Your seller is probably one of the few remanning genuinely professional sellers :)

@sidney@sidney....What an unscrupulous woman! Does she not care about getting a bad reputation?!

Can you believe that we don't have eBay in Botswana?! I tell you, Botswana is years behind the times. If I did want to use eBay round this neck of the woods, I'd have to use the South African version. South Africa's one of our neighbours, but it always has been miles ahead of Botswana.

#24Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
  5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not that there's animosity between eBay and PayPal, they are now simply separate companies. PayPal will still provide protection for covered purchases. EBay is good about resolving disputes between buyers and sellers, and I've had them stand by me recently as both a seller and buyer. The item I purchased never arrived, and I waited a long time. I don't recall the exact number of days, but it was from China, so I know I waited a good amount of time, but I did file the claim within the prescribed time frame.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, She did have some negative feedback like sending wrong items and items not arriving, but it's only a handful. And since I always pay with Paypal, I know they will side with me if something goes wrong. I guess it's the population that's the culprit, lol. Botswana people need to reproduce more so that they will get more franchises, hehe! Well if the shipping fee is reasonable to the buyers, then why not join the South African version, right?

7. Lushlala

Threads:
    I know, @Sidney...Botswana's population is just 2.4 Milion, in a country the size of France. Families hear tend to have 2 children, or 3 at most. I remember at one point the government even expressing concern because apparently the birth rate in the country was so low it was a cause for concern LOL

I will most definitely have to check out eBay South Africa. But I'll be watching the feedback like a hawk, because I'm nowhere near as brave as you. I only go with sellers with ratings between 97-100% positive rating. 97% is the lowest I'll ever go.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, I guess the people in Botswana are pretty busy people. Over here, when you pass by a slum area, there are many kids, because those people do not have any other form of "entertainment" other than having sex, lol. And you are gonna be buying using Paypal right? So have no fear, you will get your money back when things don't proceed as normal.

9. Lushlala

Threads:

@sidney@sidney....Or they're just extra careful LOL They must be adamant they don't want too many children because the cost of living here is very expensive. All that child maintenance paid out every month would kill them LOL

I still use my Paypal. Ever since we moved from the UK to Botswana, we've bought from eBay UK and other online retailers. I just need to get used to buying from eBay SA, because I've only ever bought from the UK or the US.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Yeah you're right, maybe the people there are careful, while the people here are happy go lucky! There are lots of kids roaming the streets and not going to school because of poor parenting, lol. If you buy from SA, then the wait would be shorter rather than buying from farther countries.

11. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    I frequently buy on eBay. I also sold a lot at one time on eBay. I always pay through PayPal. I was always leary of buying anything that took a long time to arrive, say like from China or Hong Kong. Plus didn't know if the quality would be good.

I got lucky when I purchased a pair of reader glasses sent from Hong Kong. The package arrived in a decent amount of time, but most of all the best thing was those are the best reader glasses I ever bought anywhere. The quality is outstanding. I've dropped them and they remain as good as the day I got them. Well made.

You must read reviews and contact the seller if you have any questions. For ex., inquire if the item is from a non-smoking home. That way, there is a record of your conversations with the seller and if the item arrives and is not up to par, you can file a dispute.
    Buying online is way different than going to a brick and mortar store. Buyer beware. Choose your seller carefully!