Advice for post-run cravings?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by megshoe • Apr 9, 2014.

1. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    I always find that after I go for a run, I'm absolutely starving! I try to hold off until my next meal because stuffing my face would probably counteract the health benefits of running, but it's hard sometimes. Does anyone have ideas for how to distract yourself from these cravings, or suggestions for snacks that will quickly curb your hunger?

2. Rusky

RuskyMember

Threads:
    The best thing that I have found is to drink a lot of water after your run, especially if you mix a little diluting juice in there. That way you feel a little fuller, and you're also rehydrating your body. It also depends upon what time you go for your run, and how far away you are from your next meal. Obviously you could just go a little before dinner, so when you get back you can just eat a decent meal, but if you're more likely to run a few hours before, I'd say go with the water idea, and maybe grab an apple or two.

3. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I also agree with the water suggestion. If you let the water "sink in" you will feel some level of fullness.

In addition, have you considered investing in health snacks? If you have a healthy snack after each run, it can be a lot less than say eating 2 dinners. You could also look into refueling items. I have been experimenting with sports jelly beans and energy gels during my half marathon. These are to help me continue to increase my mileage, but by putting these calories into your body, you may also be able to feel more full after a run.

4. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    A protein shake is not a bad idea after a run as it will provide some much needed nutrition. Other than that, before you head out on your run, I would suggest that you take a few minutes to prepare some sort of healthy snack for when you return. If you make it in advance, you wont be starving and you are more likely going to be giving it the attention it deserves. Try raw veggies with hummus as a snack - healthy and a bit filling.

5. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    Like the others have said, you really need to make sure you are drinking a lot of water. However, with that said what does your diet look like? You might not be eating enough calories overall throughout the day so these cravings you are getting might be your body telling you that you NEED food.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    While the others are right about drinking enough water, you actually SHOULD eat after a run! You're starving because your body is telling you it needs to be replenished. While a 1-2 mile run may not require much, if you run more than that, I would recommend getting a high-protein snack. Grab a small handful of almonds or half of a peanut butter sandwich, for example. Greek yogurt is another good one.

7. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Good idea. I also think that protein shakes are a good option to consider.

As far as snacks go, you could spend 5-10 minutes at the beginning of the week preparing little baggies of snacks so that you're able to just grab one after a run and get the fuel that you need without having to spend a lot of time. This can also help you save money because the food would be portioned out.