Advice On Buying A New Phone

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by kofter128 • May 5, 2015.

1. kofter128

kofter128New Member

Threads:
    Hi there!
    I'd like to buy a new phone sometimes in the future because my ol' rusty Galaxy S2 is really showing its age :)
    What I look for in a phone basically is not much, I need somewhat decent performance for regular apps and the occasional game. The most important thing for me is that the phone is no larger than 5 inches. Now I've looked at some mini versions of flagship phones (HTC One mini 2, Xperia Z3 compact, etc.), but I want to ask you guys if there are any 'underdog' phones I'm missing - phones that generally handle better than you expected when you bought them or even phones that are an older model (2014 model and below) - I really don't care how new it is.
    That's about it, thanks in advance!

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, the Nexus 5 costs less than $400 unlocked and is compatible with all GSM and CDMA carriers. There are no separate models for CDMA and then GSM. The device has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 SOC with 2GB of RAM, so the performance is quite solid even compared to today's best devices. Then it has a 4.95-inch screen with 1080p resolution. It's a great bang for your buck device that's premium in every way possible aside from maybe its plastic build.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not from USA, so I don't really know about inches and all, but did you take a look at Motorola's budget line of phones? Moto E and Moto G. I have a Moto E, because I wanted something cheap, and I'm really happy with it.

4. kofter128

kofter128New Member

Threads:
    Hmm, thanks for the tips guys! Yes, I have considered the Motorola devices, but really, I don't like the that much. They are nice for their price ranges but I just don't see myself using one, you know? And about the Nexus 5 - holy moly I forgot this model even existed. I've never owned one and I'm kind of diggind the idea of having an official vanilla rom (not that I don't have one on my rooted device atm, but that is another question). I've really heard good things about the Nexus line, its best trait in my opinion being that the phone accepts new updates well, as in, it will behave even better with every new Android version, unlike my Galaxy S2 which tends to handle the best with Jelly Bean, and absolutely hates KitKat or Lollipop... Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into this in more detail tonight, take care!

5. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I think that you should just get the new Iphone. This is what I think that I am going to get after my Samsung S3 mini dies out. Right now I think that it is reaching its limit. It does not even do most of the things that it could do when I had gotten it. Right now the wifi on the thing doesn't even work so now you know that I really need a phone.