Advice on landline phones

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by vaericke • Aug 31, 2012.

1. vaericke

vaerickeNew Member

Threads:
    Helo guys, I'm from the Philippines and I just wanted to ask if we should cut our landline since it is barely being used. Only when my aunt who is in the states is calling are we using it. One more thing is that the dial tone always dies out and we have terrible service regarding PLDT landline. One more problem is that they keep misplacing our records that's why they send us bills that are already paid. Any suggestions and comments? Thank you.

2. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    We canceled our land line connection because we weren't using it very much either. It didn't make sense to pay for a land line every month when it wasn't being used. My mom took awhile to get used to the idea of contacting us kids only on our cell phones but in the end she canceled her land line as well and now only uses her cell phone.

3. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    At home we use our landline quite a bit. We get 1000 minutes to make calls during the day and unlimited free calls to other landline numbers during the night. I don't think we will be cancelling our line anytime soon as it's linked to the ADSL line. We only have one landline provider here in South Africa called Telkom so they can charge as much as they want and get away with it.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are still using our landline since it is the main communication tool that my dad uses to contact his siblings since he doesn't have a cellphone. We also need it to be able to connect to the internet, so in our house, it is an essential tool. If you guys don't need it or use the landline that much anymore, then I think it would be best to just have the service cut off. You would then be able to save more money.

5. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Well if your usage of the landline is so limited and the quality of service provided is that poor, I suggest you just terminate the line and stick to your cellphones. I guess it shouldn't be that hard for your aunt to switch over to calling your cellphones! Over where I live, the popularity of landlines is also diminishing but most households still keep it simply because most of our mobile lines, internet service and IPTV connections are all bundled up together.

6. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    We use a landline as there is no cell coverage here. I bought the Magicjack Plus and love it as it works perfect and is only $20 a year after buying the device. I have seen horrible reviews on it, but it has been wonderful for us with perfect service and clear calls.

7. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a landline. I do, however, have my cell and a good long distance package so I can call internationally. I also have Skype and google chat. So I'm pretty much covered for all my communication needs.

If you have crappy service, then you're not getting your money's worth. Would the price of cancelling the landline get your closer to the price of an international calling package? Also, would your family be able to switch to Skype for long distance?

8. deannatroupe

deannatroupeMember

Threads:
    I don't have a landline either, but I may have to get one. It seems as though most of the work from home customer service jobs require you to have one. That sucks because that means an extra bill.

9. Jennifernew

JennifernewNew Member

Threads:
    I am also using land line connection. I am also using it very rarely but as I have taken my internet connection from that connection so I don't want to disconnect it. Because it is giving faster internet connection. But if you are not having this problem then you disconnect this.

#9Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  10. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    If you're not really using it, it's just right to cancel it. Plus I also hate PLDT and their crappy service. I use Globe for 4 years now and they are so accommodating. If ever you're gonna use landline again you can try availing their service. They have cheaper plans for you too. :)

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, do you need a landline for your internet connection? We considered cancelling our landline because we rarely use it but we need a landline for our internet connection. I don't see why you wouldn't cancel your landline if you have no need for it.